PDA

View Full Version : Steelx Honors Gene Hickerson

Deb
07-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Mike is buried in the magazine but he wanted me to post it here....so here you go....

Honoring Robert Eugene (Gene) Hickerson

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2007/01/hickerson_180-220.jpg

written by: Mike Novick

Nowadays how many players play for the same team? "Not many" you say. Well that is an understatement thatís for sure.

I know of this man vaguely which means I knew the name and the team he played for. With that being said I had to do a little research on him and was surprised at the outstanding career Mr. Hickerson had. He played in the American Football league, played Offensive guard for the Cleveland Browns and was in the league for 15 years. 15 Years with the same team is just shocking to me when these days players average 1-3 years with a team. Robert Eugene (Gene) Hickerson was a 6 time Pro Bowler in consecutive years from 1965 to 1970. After 29 years of waiting he was finally elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Gene was drafted in the seventh round of the 1957 NFL Draft by the Browns. Coming out of Ole Miss regarded as one of the best Lineman in Southern Conference History. During his 15 year career he was known in the pros as one of the greatest guards of all time knocking defenders over for Jim Brown, Bobby Mitchell, and Leroy Kelly. Prior to Hickerson coming into the league there were only seven, yes seven RB's in the history of the league to run for 1000 yards. After Hickerson hit the field a Browns RB had 1000 yards rushing every year but one.

With all this being said I am sadly depressed it took the NFL to get Gene into the Hall of Fame. Gene at the age of 72 is now suffering with a bad case of Alzheimerís disease. It is so bad that he can not finish sentences, remember his own name, and will not be giving his own speech at the ceremony. Why did it take the NFL this long to get this great player into the Hall? I donít think we will ever know. It is a shame that one of the greatest linemen ever to play the game can not enjoy something he has waited for his entire life.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/39/398342.jpg

DIESELMAN
07-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Why did it take so long? Because he wasn't a star household name thats why. Its a shame that players who bleed, sweat and shed tears for 15 years with the same team don't get anything but shown the way to the door.

AZ_Steeler
07-30-2007, 02:44 PM
It probably took so long because of the team he played for... there hasn't really been anybody that good come from the Browns since Jim Brown :D

Being serious now, the o-line doesn't get much attention unless they are exceptionally good, meaning they were in the Pro Bowl and had AP honors for a majority of the career. It's sad but the guys in the trenches often get over looked by the guys setting records for yardage, touch downs etc.

JoeThomas
01-26-2008, 07:43 AM
the guy above me is right to a degree. he didnt play a glamorous position. he did it well, very well but its tough to stand out at guard. if he was a tackel, he would have gotten in a long time ago. it will be even tougher nowadays, with all these runners that want to go outside instead of up the middle.