PDA

View Full Version : Singing the Barlow Blues

BlackGold4vr
07-30-2007, 12:39 AM
By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Jul 29, 2007

The Steelers are providing few reps and even fewer carries for Kevan Barlow, and that doesn't bode well for the Pittsburgh kid. Read below for more.

LATROBE – On paper, the addition of Kevan Barlow seemed to strengthen a thin position for the Steelers. But on the field, the Steelers are giving Barlow the impression that he may not make it past the first round of cuts. That’s how light Barlow’s workload has been lately.

“Physically, I feel good. I feel better than I have in a long time,” Barlow said on Saturday. “But I didn’t get no reps today and I don’t know why. Maybe coach wanted to take a different look. You’ve got to ask him why.”

Running backs coach Kirby Wilson wasn’t around to answer the question. And the next day, Sunday, the elusive coach again bounced off the field ahead of reporters. Barlow saw a bit more action on Sunday. The previous day, during an extended 9-on-7 run-game drill, the order of the tailbacks was: Willie Parker, Najeh Davenport, Carey Davis, Gary Russell, Verron Haynes, Barlow, Dan Kreider and Larry Croom.

That put Barlow at sixth-team tailback, just ahead of the blocking fullback. And Barlow’s carry in the drill was his only touch of the day.

On Sunday, Barlow did receive two reps during the team scrimmages, but both were with the backups. He did not appear in any of the six goal-line reps and he doesn’t understand why.

“In my mind, I’ve always been a starter and that’s how I prepare myself mentally and that’s how I try to take my reps, as a starter,” he said. “I asked him today, but … you’ll have to ask him yourself.”

The problem may have begun with Barlow’s poor blocking performance during Friday night’s blitz drill with the linebackers. He’s also been tentative going through holes and one newspaper report indicated the Steelers are less than pleased with his character.

Wilson, the new RB coach, is a fanatic about blitz pick-up. Earlier in the week he had commented on his group of running backs this way:

“Najeh is really an outstanding pass protector. Carey Davis is doing some really good things. John Kuhn is really a better pass protector than he’s given credit for.”

Wilson also said of Russell, the free-agent rookie from Minnesota: “He’s shown he’s got an appetite for violence right now.”

Willie Parker also drew Wilson’s praise. When asked specifically about Parker, Wilson called him “an ultimate warrior.”

Wilson went on about Parker: “He’s got the heart of a lion and he relishes every opportunity to get better. He thrives on fear and that’s what keeps him going. You don’t have to motivate Willie. It’s very important to him. He’s got a lot of pride and he wants to be the best, he wants to win every drill. He’s a self-motivated guy. You don’t have to light a match under him. It’s already lit when he walks out on the football field. He’s definitely one of my favorites because of the size factor. You always root for the little guy and the underdog.”

Parker showed his ferociousness and blocking “want-to” in the DBs-on-RBs blitz drill Sunday afternoon. The mouthiest DB, Tyrone Carter, pushed Parker after Parker had stopped Carter cold. Parker pushed him back and the two went facemask-to-facemask and a fight appeared imminent, but did not materialize.

“I got a shot at him, but we’re talking so much it’s going to be like that,” Parker said. “But that’s my boy. He’s not a troublemaker. He’s just got a lot of mouth and I was trying to hit it.”

With Parker showing the heart to block as if he’s one of the bigger backs – i.e. Davenport, Davis, Kuhn, Haynes and even Russell – the tone has been set at the position. Even Barlow stepped up and stoned a DB (Anthony Madison) in his one and only rep during Sunday’s blitz pick-up. However, it may be a case of too little, too late for the hometown kid.

When people are questioning your heart and your character in training camp.....that aint a good thing. Barlow may very well be gone in the first cuts. I am pulling for Gary Russell to make the team!

In another article on SCI.com they gave "Big Snack" Casey Hampton a try at the goal line offense at FB. Apparently, Clint Kriewaldt (Buddy Lee) hit Casey really hard in the hole and had Big Snack's helmet twisted around on his head. Casey has since announced his retirement at that position. :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Yea Barlow needs to go........I thought it was worth the shot to bring him to see what he had left...But if he is going to be a punk then just cut his punk ***...lol

Thats great Willie is being called the ultimate warrior...lol.......I think its awesome he is improving his blitz pickup...I'm also rooting for Gary Russell to make the team...But I also like what I'm hearing about this Carey Davis.....The bottom line the Steelers have enough RBs in camp to say good bye to any bad apples like Barlow.....

Koopa
07-30-2007, 12:49 AM
i actually lol @ willie's quote about carters mouth, i'm glad willie is still very hungry, cause it could be easy for him to settle since there is no legit threat to take his starting spot

i hope russell makes the team cause i've read good things about him, he may have flunked out of college but not everyone is college material so i don't hold that against him

i hate the nfl network, took away the hall of fame game from regular cable......i guess i'll have to wait till we play the eagles in the preseason to see any of these players

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2007, 01:00 AM
If nothing else he's an extra body in camp, but that's about it. He was a long shot to begin with anyways and I'd rather see a young hungry player take the roster spot, and one that can stay healthy. If they're questioning your heart then you won't last long on this team.

Ambridge
07-30-2007, 06:45 AM
This was seen a mile away.

Barlow is done and isn't going to make the team.

steelcurtain09
07-30-2007, 09:34 AM
John Kuhn is really a better pass protector than he’s given credit for.

No comments?!?!

AZ_Steeler
07-30-2007, 01:23 PM
I was rooting for Barlow and thought he would be a great addition. Considering the RB spot was all ready set coming into camp though it seems like a pointless pick up now that I think about it. Maybe the Steelers were trying to keep him away from another AFCN team? :dunno:

The NFLN needs to go!!! I can feel the NFL slowly becoming a pay-per-view event... especially the Super Bowl! :cursin:

introyitrust
07-30-2007, 01:50 PM
The NFLN needs to go!!! I can feel the NFL slowly becoming a pay-per-view event... especially the Super Bowl! :cursin:

I'm starting to fear that too.

TEEMONT
07-30-2007, 01:56 PM
eh...I get NFLN for like 2 bucks a month....no big whoop.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-30-2007, 02:02 PM
I have Directv and have their top package so I get NFL Network no problem.....

introyitrust
07-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Well I only have basic cable and I don't see myself getting DirectV or digital cable until I am out of college.. I guess I can go to the local bar and watch the NFLN games there, but I prefer to watch games at home.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Well I only have basic cable and I don't see myself getting DirectV or digital cable until I am out of college.. I guess I can go to the local bar and watch the NFLN games there, but I prefer to watch games at home.

Dude if you lived closer I would say you could come over to my crib and watch the game...Any Steeler fan is welcomed in my house......The Steelers Nation is my extended family....

SteelerSal
07-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Dude if you lived closer I would say you could come over to my crib and watch the game...Any Steeler fan is welcomed in my house......The Steelers Nation is my extended family....

You got that right. When I lived in Florida I used to have up to 16 Steeler brothers and sister over the house for the games and it was a blast. We all chipped in for wings, pizza, chips and everyone brought there own drink of choice.
We had a heck of a Superbowl party and it was nice that it was "true" Steelerfans watching the game together and it was a fitting last game for me because a month later I moved to Kentucky where I hope I can get a cool group of people to watch the games with me.
So far Tom (Dieselman said that he was gonna catch some games with me.:cope:
***AutoMerged Post Below...***
Oh and not to hijack a topic, Barlow needs to be shown the door, Harrison vs. brownfan style.:bigthumb:

DIESELMAN
07-30-2007, 04:32 PM
So far Tom (Dieselman said that he was gonna catch some games with me.

You got it bro :cope::cope::cope::cope::cope:

As far as Barlow's concerned, I never liked him coming in the first place, but the coaching staff didn't know what we had beyond FWP. Barlow has shown his colors and why he'll be a travelin man from now on. He needs to say, "Thanks for the oppurtunity but I'm just wasting everyone's time here in Pittsburgh."

Stairwayto7
07-30-2007, 04:37 PM
not good

K Train
07-30-2007, 07:49 PM
i hated barlow from day 1, i dont care for kuhn either...i hope russle gets a job.

btw, i kept reading "wilson" and what "wilson said" i was like who the **** care what cedric wilson thinks lol....my bad