PDA

View Full Version : Steelers revive the no-huddle offense

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2007, 06:17 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_519418.html

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, July 28, 2007

Ben Roethlisberger isn't doing as much campaigning this year.
There's no need.

New offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and head coach Mike Tomlin are in apparent agreement with their QB's belief that the Steelers should employ the no-huddle offense in situations other than when they're trying to play beat the clock.

"With Bruce and the confidence he has in me and Tomlin has, I think we'll use it," Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger, citing the success of Carson Palmer and the Cincinnati Bengals in such situations, voiced his desire for the Steelers to follow suit as the next logical step in their continued development as an offense in the spring of 2006.
The no-huddle/hurry-up has come into vogue in recent seasons as a method of dictating tempo and combating situational substitutions on defense.

Fresh from a Super Bowl championship a year ago in June, former offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt initially warmed up to the idea of the Steelers trying to play it that way on occasion.

Roethlisberger, Whisenhunt declared, had earned the right to attempt to take on more responsibility in such a fashion.

But it didn't work out that way.

"Short of saying anything about the other coaches that were here (last year), but we just didn't use it in the (regular-season) games," Roethlisberger said. "I don't know why."

Roethlisberger's offseason motorcycle accident didn't initially deter either Whisenhunt or former head coach Bill Cowher from moving forward with their no-huddle experiment.

"Against Minnesota in the preseason, we used the no-huddle on the first series and went right down and scored," Roethlisberger said.

They might have done the same against Miami had Roethlisberger not missed the regular-season opener after undergoing an emergency appendectomy.

He was off-target and ineffective upon his return on Sept. 18 in Jacksonville.

And by the time Roethlisberger made it back from a concussion suffered on Oct. 22 in Atlanta and threw four interceptions on Oct. 29 in Oakland, the Steelers were 2-5 and in scramble mode much more than they were committed to expanding their repertoire.

Arians' embracing of the concept this summer includes four no-huddle packages in addition to the hurry-up normally relied upon at the conclusion of halves or games.

"Those will just be up-tempo," Arians said. "The (hurry-up) we consider fast-break, four wide receivers and just as fast as we can go."

The Steelers worked on the hurry-up on Wednesday, attempting to advance the ball against the defense and a ticking clock positioned on the practice field.

The personnel group in that instance was three wide receivers (Hines Ward, Cedric Wilson and Nate Washington), tight end Heath Miller and running back Willie Parker, further evidence that tight ends and wide receivers are becoming interchangeable in Arians' administration.

On Thursday, the Steelers went no-huddle but at less than a breakneck pace.

The personnel group used included two tight ends (Miller and Jerame Tuman), Ward, Wilson and Parker.

"B.A. said this can be a weapon for us at any time," Roethlisberger said. "And if you remember the game at Cleveland, we were down, but we started using it in the third quarter and we started moving the ball.

"I think it can be a weapon just like our (hurry-up)."

I think we all were screaming for the no huddle more last year...it's the perfect way to change up the pace of the game, or start it out on a note that the defense wasn't expecting. Especially when our offense was so inept so many times last year I think using the no huddle would have been a great way to help change that. So far this year Tomlin and Arians are looking to use it more which is great. You can't live on the no huddle but you can certainly use it more than waiting till you're behind 28-0.

DIESELMAN
07-28-2007, 06:30 AM
With the no huddle and Ben having a part in reconstructing the playbook, we will have a lot of different looks to go into our passing game. :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2007, 07:10 AM
I want to see what Ben can do when he's able to make more calls at the line and change up plays on the fly. That will give us a real good indication of just how good this guy can really be. His first 2 years in the league he was phenomenal, then last year was a setback, now it's time to unless Big Ben and see what he can really do !

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Thats why I have been screaming for the Steelers since they drafted Ben to throw the ball more....I don't the Steelers to be the 99 Rams.......But you draft a QB in the first round for a reason and its not to just throw the ball 20 times a game like Ben did his first two years....Last year the Steelers threw more but that was since they were behind most of the season.....

This season with Ben healthy and putting the work in....With the weapons in place.....Its time to see if Ben is indeed a franchise QB.........I willing to bet he passes the test with flying colors......

strong D
07-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Thats why I have been screaming for the Steelers since they drafted Ben to throw the ball more....I don't the Steelers to be the 99 Rams.......But you draft a QB in the first round for a reason and its not to just throw the ball 20 times a game like Ben did his first two years....Last year the Steelers threw more but that was since they were behind most of the season.....

This season with Ben healthy and putting the work in....With the weapons in place.....Its time to see if Ben is indeed a franchise QB.........I willing to bet he passes the test with flying colors......

but if he only threw it 20 times a game that usually meant we were controlling the game and the clock and those are the games we won

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2007, 11:20 AM
but if he only threw it 20 times a game that usually meant we were controlling the game and the clock and those are the games we won

I know that....But so what we won a lot of regular season games under Bill Cowher...**** his power running game......:lol: His predictable power running offense is why the Steelers only won 1 Super Bowl in his career......

Look at both years the Steelers reached the Super Bowl in Cowher's career....The passing game played a huge part.......In 95 Neil O'Donnell had one of his best years and he threw to 5 WRs sets that year........The running game was good that year with Pegram/Morris but not the typical dominating running game that Cowher had most years....It was the balance on offense that was key.....Then when the Steelers made to it to Super Bowl XL....Opening up the play book and throwing the ball on early downs was huge and a big reason the Steelers made it to the Super Bowl....

I think the running game is very important but you do need balance especially in today's NFL.....Plus why even spend a first round pick on a QB if you just want him to throw the ball 20 times a game.......You draft a guy in the first round to be your franchise....Time to see if Ben can handle it.....

manofsteel
07-28-2007, 12:34 PM
:cope:I LIKE WHAT I KEEP SEEING TIME TO TAKE THE HANDCUFFS OFF AND SEE WHAT THE BOY CAN DO AND I THINK I KNOW WHAT IM ABOUT TO SEE. THIS ISNT THE SAME OLD STEELER OFFENSE. ALTOUGH I WILL SAY I DONT WANT THEM TO LOSE THAT GOOD RUN GAME EITHER BECAUSE THERE WILL BE TIMES WHEN WE WILL HAVE TO RELY ON THAT AS WELL

strong D
07-28-2007, 01:25 PM
I know that....But so what we won a lot of regular season games under Bill Cowher...**** his power running game......:lol: His predictable power running offense is why the Steelers only won 1 Super Bowl in his career......

Look at both years the Steelers reached the Super Bowl in Cowher's career....The passing game played a huge part.......In 95 Neil O'Donnell had one of his best years and he threw to 5 WRs sets that year........The running game was good that year with Pegram/Morris but not the typical dominating running game that Cowher had most years....It was the balance on offense that was key.....Then when the Steelers made to it to Super Bowl XL....Opening up the play book and throwing the ball on early downs was huge and a big reason the Steelers made it to the Super Bowl....

I think the running game is very important but you do need balance especially in today's NFL.....Plus why even spend a first round pick on a QB if you just want him to throw the ball 20 times a game.......You draft a guy in the first round to be your franchise....Time to see if Ben can handle it.....

my pont is if he only threw it 20 times a game we were able to run the ball right at the other team and they couldnt stop it no need to throw the ball around and risk turnovers when you are having your way with the D

Stairwayto7
07-28-2007, 02:02 PM
I think we`ve all been anxiously awaiting this

AZ_Steeler
07-28-2007, 04:39 PM
All these new wrinkles and twists being thrown in is just building our anticipation. The Steelers have always looked sharp running the no huddle and with Ben re-writing the play it's only going to get better!
:cope:

Stlrs4Life
07-28-2007, 04:57 PM
I don't know, I'm not sold on the no huddle. If you use it often, and score too quickly, that means your defense is on the field a lot longer.

SteelerSteve
07-28-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't know, I'm not sold on the no huddle. If you use it often, and score too quickly, that means your defense is on the field a lot longer.good point:bigthumb: I don't think it is fair to critisize Cowher to much, nobody can deny he was a great coach, no team won more games during his career, and we could have won the superbowl more if it weren't for some rough breaks that you cant blame on cowher. Plus we didn't have a qb that was even near as good as big ben during that time. The players win and lose games for the most part. The power run game was very effective with the bus and now that he's gone I think it is time to pass a little more, though I dont think throwing 40-50 times a game is the answer, we jus need to change things up and remain balanced.:2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2007, 05:47 PM
good point:bigthumb: I don't think it is fair to critisize Cowher to much, nobody can deny he was a great coach, no team won more games during his career, and we could have won the superbowl more if it weren't for some rough breaks that you cant blame on cowher. Plus we didn't have a qb that was even near as good as big ben during that time. The players win and lose games for the most part. The power run game was very effective with the bus and now that he's gone I think it is time to pass a little more, though I dont think throwing 40-50 times a game is the answer, we jus need to change things up and remain balanced.:2cents:

Why can't isn't it fair to be critical of Cowher as well...Yes players do play the game and deserve part the of the blame...But coaches deserve blame as well and Bill Cowher was 2-4 in AFC title games (five were at Pittsburgh) to say if it weren't for some rough breaks we would have won more Super Bowls is bs....A predictable offense that Cowher ran deserves part of that blame....

Just look at the 2004 AFC title game......There was a 3rd and 1 early in that game and Bettis was stopped.....Ok 4th down he goes for it what does Cowher do in typical Cowher stubborn fashion calls another run on 4th and 1 and the Pats stuffed it....Yes Bettis and Oline didn't didn't get the job done.....But Cowher with his were going to just run it down your throat approach and we don't care if you know the run is coming deserves blame as well...That play was huge in that game and gave serious momentum to the Pats....... I love running the ball to but not to the point were it makes you so predictable on offense....

SteelerSteve
07-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Why can't isn't it fair to be critical of Cowher as well...Yes players do play the game and deserve part the of the blame...But coaches deserve blame as well and Bill Cowher was 2-4 in AFC title games (five were at Pittsburgh) to say if it weren't for some rough breaks we would have won more Super Bowls is bs....A predictable offense that Cowher ran deserves part of that blame....

Just look at the 2004 AFC title game......There was a 3rd and 1 early in that game and Bettis was stopped.....Ok 4th down he goes for it what does Cowher do in typical Cowher stubborn fashion calls another run on 4th and 1 and the Pats stuffed it....Yes Bettis and Oline didn't didn't get the job done.....But Cowher with his were going to just run it down your throat approach and we don't care if you know the run is coming deserves blame as well...That play was huge in that game and gave serious momentum to the Pats....... I love running the ball to but not to the point were it makes you so predictable on offense.... Well, I dont think we would ever have been much of a passing team with the likes of Neil O'donnel(throwing the superbowl away) and slash, (pretty much a reciever playing QB). The run was our strong point, and at times it was probably predictable, but why do you think we got to the playoffs in the first place? All I am saying is that with Ben and Holmes and Ward, plus the loss of the bus then we will probably have more success in the passing game than we would have had in the Cowher era.

SteelerSal
07-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Useing the no huddle does not mean that the Steelers will score to quickly. It will just keep the defense from making substitutions by lineing up at the line of scrimmage quickly, after each play, and calling the play at the line.
Ben can even wait till the clock runs below 10 seconds before getting the snap.
No huddle will just wear the opposing defenses out and help us with finding the weakness in them. The offense can still pound the ball with Willie in the no huddle also.
Alot of people mistake the no huddle with the two minute drill.

K Train
07-28-2007, 06:00 PM
EDIT ^^^^what he said lol

ok no huddle doesnt mean hurry up, most teams that ruin the no huddle still take up most of the play clock, it just keeps defenses uneasy and they dont have alot of time to get into posistion or read the offense....so worrying about the defense being on the field to much is a non issue

SteelerSteve
07-28-2007, 06:05 PM
ok no huddle doesnt mean hurry up, most teams that ruin the no huddle still take up most of the play clock, it just keeps defenses uneasy and they dont have alot of time to get into posistion or read the offense....so worrying about the defense being on the field to much is a non issue
Well I hope were not one of the teams that RUIN the no-huddle:lol::bluelol::lol:

strong D
07-28-2007, 07:46 PM

Just look at the 2004 AFC title game......There was a 3rd and 1 early in that game and Bettis was stopped.....Ok 4th down he goes for it what does Cowher do in typical Cowher stubborn fashion calls another run on 4th and 1 and the Pats stuffed it....Yes Bettis and Oline didn't didn't get the job done.....But Cowher with his were going to just run it down your throat approach and we don't care if you know the run is coming deserves blame as well...That play was huge in that game and gave serious momentum to the Pats....... I love running the ball to but not to the point were it makes you so predictable on offense....

lets say he throws on 4th down and its incomplete critics will ask WHY?
if he punts people will ask WHY?
if he runs and its stuffed people will ask WHY?
no matter what happened unless we got the first down people are gonna ? the call

TEEMONT
07-28-2007, 07:57 PM
I say that as long as we can work the no-huddle like Buffalo used to when they played us in the early 90's, I am all for it.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2007, 08:05 PM
I say that as long as we can work the no-huddle like Buffalo used to when they played us in the early 90's, I am all for it.

:bigthumb:The Bills with that K-Gun offense were something to watch.....Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed and James Loften.....................
***AutoMerged Post Below...***

lets say he throws on 4th down and its incomplete critics will ask WHY?
if he punts people will ask WHY?
if he runs and its stuffed people will ask WHY?
no matter what happened unless we got the first down people are gonna ? the call

Well no kidding....thanks for pointing this out....really I'm so glad you did....:lol:
I just think Cowher deserves some of the blame and I don't think he is God like some Steelers fans think he is......The dude was so stubborn at times and thats why he got out coached in big games....But whatever its in the past and Tomlin is going to put Cowher to shame.....

BlitzburghNation
07-28-2007, 08:08 PM
I think Big Ben will do fine,,,,,,,,, :tt02:
So far in shorts he's been looking great~~~~:lol::bluelol::lol:

Only time will tell,,,,,,,,,,Just how good this teams gonna be ---- :tt02:

SteelerSteve
08-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Well no kidding....thanks for pointing this out....really I'm so glad you did....:lol:
I just think Cowher deserves some of the blame and I don't think he is God like some Steelers fans think he is......The dude was so stubborn at times and thats why he got out coached in big games....But whatever its in the past and Tomlin is going to put Cowher to shame.....[/QUOTE] I dont think he is God, I just think credit should be given where credit is due. Having said that I'm sorry if I came across as saying Cowher had no blame in some of the big losses we had during his career, but I will say that all he had the power to do was call the plays, when it comes time to execute those plays then it is the on the players to get it done:bigthumb: