PDA

View Full Version : Exploring all options

Captcoolhand
07-26-2007, 10:29 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2007-07-26/0726smith-a.jpg

Steelers safety Anthony Smith lights up Willie Reid during afternoon practice at St. Vincent College,

The Steelers didn't sign veteran quarterback Aaron Brooks, but management still sent a strong message to the players that no job is safe.
With the quarterback situation apparently set in stone with starter Ben Roethlisberger and backup Charlie Batch, the Steelers still explored the possibility of bringing in Brooks, who played most recently with Oakland.
Although Brooks struggled with the Raiders and was known for his inconsistency when he played for New Orleans, the mere fact that the Steelers were even considering him is newsworthy.
With his long track record as a starter, there's no way that Brooks would have agreed to join the Steelers as the No. 3 quarterback (Brian St. Pierre currently holds that spot). Brooks would have wanted an opportunity to be the starter or at the very least the backup.
Knowing that, the Steelers still checked Brooks out. Either they really believed they had a chance of signing Brooks and that he could enhance their quarterback situation, or else they wanted to let their players know that they will continue to look to upgrade the roster.
Score one for Steelers management.
Back in the day
Steelers defensive backs coach Ray Horton and new quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson have a long history together. They were teammates with the Cincinnati Bengals in the early 1980s and were later assistant coaches together in Cincinnati. Now they're reunited with the Steelers.
"We've been together a long time. We played a couple of years, then we coached,'' said Horton, who is in his first season as Steelers defensive backs coach after serving the previous three seasons as assistant defensive backs coach. "This isn't anything new.''
In Cincinnati, Horton played defensive back. Anderson was the quarterback.
"It's so nice to have somebody that you're good friends with that's on the same staff,'' said Anderson, who's in his first season with the Steelers. "When you make a move, the football part's the easy part. The other part -- where am I going to live, how do I get around? -- that becomes the difficult part. To have a guy like Ray that you can lean on a little bit sure helps.''
Center stage
Coach Mike Tomlin said free agent Sean Mahan will compete with veteran Chukky Okobi at center, but Okobi continues to line up with the first team.
Despite the search for a replacement for the retired Jeff Hartings, agent Joe Linta believes Okobi will beat out Mahan. If he doesn't, Linta said, it won't be because Okobi, who is scheduled to earn around $2 million this season, makes too much money.
"The Steelers aren't that stupid. From a cap perspective, it's ridiculous,'' Linta said Thursday. "Together, Chukky and Mahan will earn less than what Hartings made last season. The Steelers can keep two quality centers for a lower cap number than last year.
"The Steelers will not cut Chukky Okobi for cap reasons. If he gets a fair shot, it's going to be very difficult to take him out of the starting lineup.''
Daily gems
Second-year safety Anthony Smith continued to impress yesterday. Smith was all but unstoppable during a morning blocking drill featuring defensive backs and running backs. In the afternoon, Smith blasted wide receiver Willie Reid to the turf following a reception. Even though defenders aren't supposed to tackle in 11-on-11 drills, Tomlin said he loves Smith's aggressiveness. ... Running back Carey Davis, who was impressive during morning blocking drills, is on the No. 1 punt coverage team. ... Before re-injuring his groin, rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons made a diving, juggling interception against Batch.
He said it
Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker on improving his pass blocking: "That's something I'm really anticipating, blocking and being in more on third-down packages. That's what I trained myself for this offseason. That's what I'm going to do.''

SteelerSteve
07-27-2007, 02:23 AM
Love what I'm hearing!:bigthumb: I'm glad to see alittle pressure being put on big ben, it may be just that much more inspiration he needs to get back on the field and perform. And how about anthony smith laying out willie reid! thats 100% steelers football:tt02:

BlitzburghNation
07-27-2007, 02:26 AM
Love what I'm hearing!:bigthumb: I'm glad to see alittle pressure being put on big ben, it may be just that much more inspiration he needs to get back on the field and perform. And how about anthony smith laying out willie reid! thats 100% steelers football:tt02:

Well put ~~~~~~ :clap:
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2007, 06:11 AM
I love these intense practices; you know the defense loves coming up and laying out the receivers and backs and you know the OL really digs getting a good pancake block on the DL and LB's.

Steeler football at it's finest, and we're still just in camp !

DIESELMAN
07-27-2007, 07:09 AM
9 more days till New Orleans in the HOF game :cope: :cope:

AZ_Steeler
07-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker on improving his pass blocking: "That's something I'm really anticipating, blocking and being in more on third-down packages. That's what I trained myself for this offseason. That's what I'm going to do.''
Having Willie on the field on third downs would be really dangerous! Willie lays a block and slips off the defender, Ben dumps it off to Willie and Willie picks up a first down and more!!

:bigthumb:

At least that is how I see it :D