PDA

View Full Version : Looking to the future already

Captcoolhand
07-26-2007, 09:40 PM
A day after the Pittsburgh Steelers signed Troy Polamalu to a five-year contract extension, linebacker Clark Haggans said he remains hopeful that he can work out a deal with the organization. Haggans, 30, is in the final year of his contract.
He is slated to start at left outside linebacker, but the Steelers may opt to let him leave as a free agent after this season since they also have rookie LaMarr Woodley at the position. Woodley, a second-round draft pick, has impressed the Steelers with his physical play and his ability to pick things up. I would like to see Woodley step up and knock Haggins out...:yesnod:

LATROBE - Dan Kreider, the strong-as-an-ox fullback who's perennially one of the Steelers' unsung heroes, hopes this isn't his last season in Pittsburgh.
One of several Steelers eligible for unrestricted free agency next year, Kreider has no idea if he'll be back or not.
"At this point, no, there's no news," he said when asked if there's a chance he may sign an extension before the 2007 season starts. "I'm playing out this year. Hopefully, if I have a good year, they'll want me back."
Kreider, who made the roster eight years ago as an undrafted free agent out of New Hampshire, is one of five starters who can become unrestricted free agents next year. The others are left guard Alan Faneca, right guard Kendall Simmons, right tackle Max Starks and outside linebacker Clark Haggans.
Another potential free agent, strong safety Troy Polamalu, signed a four-year extension Monday.
Even though he doesn't touch the football often - he carried only once and caught eight passes last year - Kreider is one of the NFL's best blockers and a key to the Steelers' running success in recent years.
This year, he's receiving a base salary of $950,000.
"I play a position that's not a high priority as far as dollar amounts," Kreider said. "But I'd like to stay here for a few more years because I like it here, absolutely. I'm only three hours away (by car) from my home (in Mount Joy, Pa.). I just need to stay healthy, play hard and hope they want me back next year."Unless you have someone to beat out Dan, i would hate to see him not playing.... FB are one of the harder positions to come by...

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2007, 10:04 PM
I think it might be smart to resign Haggans for depth purposes next year.....I think he is better suited for a backups role anyway......He would know the defense so that wouldn't be an issue.......

As for Kreider.....The Steelers with going to a spread offense really don't need a FB as much as they did in the past with all the single back formations they might use...But still there will be situations were they will need a FB in the game.....So if the price is right then bring Dan back......But still yes its hard to find great blocking FBs....But over the years from Tim Lester, Jon Witman to Kreider the Steelers have found them...

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2007, 10:15 PM
With Woodley and Timmons here now that makes Haggans expendable IMO...he'd have to have an absolutely break out banner year to have a decent chance at coming back and even then he'd probably want too much money.

As for Kreider, he's just a Steeler through and through. The dude just shows up with his lunch pail and goes to work. He's unselfish, a team player, and one of the best FB's in the league. As long as he doesn't want an astronomical amount of money I really hope he comes back.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2007, 10:18 PM
With Woodley and Timmons here now that makes Haggans expendable IMO...he'd have to have an absolutely break out banner year to have a decent chance at coming back and even then he'd probably want too much money.

As for Kreider, he's just a Steeler through and through. The dude just shows up with his lunch pail and goes to work. He's unselfish, a team player, and one of the best FB's in the league. As long as he doesn't want an astronomical amount of money I really hope he comes back.

Haggans is experienced and knows the defense...If his contract demands are not to much it would be smart to resign him for depth....He has always been a very good backup...In 2002 he had 6.5 sacks as a backup.....

K Train
07-26-2007, 10:21 PM
haggans makes to much money as it is, hes gonna have to take a major paycut to be a steeler for much longer, hed be great for depth but eh.....whatever

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I don't think Haggans will be looking to break the bank......chances are there probably won't be to much of a demand for Haggans...He is strictly a 3-4 OLB......Yes more teams are using the 3-4 but he likes Pittsburgh and if the price is right resign him...

K Train
07-26-2007, 11:39 PM
but hes not gonna want to take a huge paycut either, but your right hes a very one dimensional 3-4 OLB whos old lol

SteelerSteve
07-27-2007, 03:35 AM
sign kreider, drop haggans. unless they could trade him for a late round draft pick or something:2cents: