PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Martin to announce retirement.....

DIESELMAN
07-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Jets running back Curtis Martin is going to retire from the NFL in the next few days. The announcement was made by Mark Cannizzaro of the New York Post.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/25/253083.jpghttp://www.nypost.com/seven/07242007/photos/sports068.jpg

July 24, 2007 -- The time for one of the greatest Jets of all to say goodbye has come.

Curtis Martin will officially announce his retirement within the next two days, The Post has learned.

The Jets are expected to make Martin's retirement official with a formal announcement before training camp begins.

All players are due to report to Weeb Ewbank Hall on Thursday, with two-a-day practice sessions beginning Friday, meaning the likely day for his ceremonial final run is tomorrow.

The time and place for Martin's formal goodbye has yet to be finalized, but it probably will take place in Manhattan.

The signs for Martin's official retirement have been apparent for a while.
First, Martin agreed to void the 2008 and 2009 seasons on his contract, and he reduced his salary for this year from $3.25 million to the veteran's minimum of $820,000.

Then, the Jets recently quietly activated Martin from the Physically Unable to Perform list, paving the way for the retirement paperwork to be put into motion.

The formal announcement will merely close the door on what has been known for months - that Martin has rushed for his final yards on the football field because of a degenerative bone-on-bone condition in his right knee.

Martin sat out the 2006 season on the PUP list after missing the final for games of the 2005 season following knee surgery.

Ironically, the final game he played was on Dec. 4, 2005 against the Patriots in New England, where his NFL career began. He rushed for 29 yards on 15 carries that day - very un-Martin-like numbers - and it was clear he wasn't right. </B></I>

True class act!! When he scored a TD, he didn't spike the ball. Why? Cuz hes been in the endzone before and it's part of the game.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-24-2007, 10:22 PM
True class is correct.....I always like Curtis Martin and he was a great player....Sad to see him retire but it was time for him to hang them up.....

My aunt worked with Curtis Martins cousin....I was able to meet Curtis and get his autograph......Still have the autographed card he signed for me..........Very cool guy.....

TEEMONT
07-25-2007, 12:09 AM
I got to meet him when he played for PITT and I thought he was a cool dude then. The more the game moves forward and we end up with guys like CJ and TO, the more we needs guys like Martin.

Its a shame to see him go, even if he did climb past Bettis on the all time list.

Prosdo
07-25-2007, 01:57 AM
I have always had a lot of respect for Curtis Martin. I agree Teemont we need more guys like Curtis.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2007, 09:51 AM
He burned us on a couple occasions when we played him while he was with the Pats as I remember it. He's as classy a guy as you'll ever find and Pittsburgh is proud to be associated with a such a great individual. He's had a great career and a certain HOF inductee IMO.

TINO
07-28-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm wondering what team he has his eye on. They wasted no time saying he was looking at buying a team.

Stairwayto7
07-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Great career CM

TEEMONT
07-29-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm wondering what team he has his eye on. They wasted no time saying he was looking at buying a team.

An NFL team? Or an AFL team? I don't think the dude could come close to affording to buy and NFL team.

Ambridge
07-30-2007, 06:51 AM
He's had a great career and a certain HOF inductee IMO.

There's no doubt about it.
Add Martin's name to the already long list of Pittsburgh natives who are in the HOF.