PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell : Assistant HC

TEEMONT
07-23-2007, 12:30 PM
John Mitchell was elevated to Assistant HC / D-Line coach today.

I haven't seen a link on this, but got it on my KDKA mobile alert thingy.

introyitrust
07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
It's on Steelers.com

BlitzburghRockCity
07-23-2007, 02:20 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/78399/

John Mitchell Promoted to Assistant Head Coach

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers have promoted veteran assistant coach John Mitchell to assistant head coach/defensive line, the team announced today.

Mitchell, in his 14th season with the team, is the Steelers' longest tenured coach. He joined the Pittsburgh coaching staff on Jan. 31, 1994 and is currently entering his 34th season of coaching overall, including 17 in the NFL, 15 at the college level and two in the United States Football League (USFL).

Mitchell has played a major role in the development of one of the league's best defensive fronts, which include three-time Pro Bowler Casey Hampton and Aaron Smith, who earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl in 2005.

A former All-America defensive end for Alabama, Mitchell was the first African-American to play for the Crimson Tide. He began his coaching career at Alabama under Paul "Bear" Bryant and then went on to coach under Lou Holtz at Arkansas, coaching the defensive line at both universities.

Mitchell then coached the defensive line for the Birmingham Stallions in the USFL before coaching stints at both Temple and Louisiana State, where he became the SEC's first African-American defensive coordinator. His first NFL coaching job was with the Cleveland Browns (1991-93) just prior to joining the Steelers.

Mitchell has been around for a long time, he's a good guy and well deserving of this honor.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2007, 02:58 PM
John Mitchell was elevated to Assistant HC / D-Line coach today.

I haven't seen a link on this, but got it on my KDKA mobile alert thingy.

Thats cool....Mitchell has been with the Steelers for some time now...Its nice to see Tomlin promote Mitchell to Assistant HC.......

introyitrust
07-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Exactly what does the "assistant head coach" do?
Is he Tomlin's right hand man?
Does he now rank above the offensive and defensive coordinators?
Is he the link between Tomlin and the players?
To me it seems like a vice president type role.

He definitely has the experience going for him, especially under such greats as Bear Bryant and Lou Holtz

Iron City South
07-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Exactly what does the "assistant head coach" do?

In the event that Tomlin has to go to the Proctologist to get pollups removed from his gleutious maximus, he would then hand the reigns over to Mitchell in the event he couldn't make it on game day.

SteelerSal
07-23-2007, 03:34 PM
In the event that Tomlin has to go to the Proctologist to get pollups removed from his gleutious maximus, he would then hand the reigns over to Mitchell in the event he couldn't make it on game day.

To add to that the abbreviation for Assistant Coach is ***. Coach.:greengrin:

DIESELMAN
07-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Congrats to Mitchell!!! :bigthumb:

introyitrust
07-23-2007, 04:18 PM

Haha, thanks for the clarification.

manofsteel
07-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Bewst coaching move made so far by Tomlin

Captcoolhand
07-25-2007, 05:27 AM
His first NFL coaching job was with the Cleveland Browns (1991-93) just prior to joining the Steelers. Isn't this not surprising...:stirpot: