PDA

View Full Version : Faneca's farewell to Pittsburgh

Stlrs4Life
07-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Faneca's farewell to Pittsburgh

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, July 22, 2007

Day One of Alan Faneca's countdown to free agency begins in earnest on Monday at St. Vincent College.

By showing up as promised, Big Red will at least keep alive hope that his story will have something other than one of the most disappointing endings in Steelers history.

Sadly, that is about as likely as Brady Quinn winning the Super Bowl this season for Cleveland.

The Steelers once let Franco Harris finish his career in Seattle. Dan Rooney laments to this day that things didn't work out differently.

Faneca winding up in Arizona or some other NFL outpost would leave a similar taste in mouths on the South Side.

"Alan Faneca is a Pro Bowl player, a probable Hall of Fame player," Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said. "You don't make six Pro Bowls in a row and not get to the Hall of Fame at some point. He's been a great player for us. He's been a great off-the-field person for us. There's no questioning that."

The issue is what such a player is worth.

The two sides are far enough apart for Faneca to have labeled the Steelers' offer for an extension "pretty much a non-offer" during that infamous minicamp rant back in mid-May.

Faneca said then he wasn't considering any course of action other than showing up to camp on time and playing out the season as best he could under the circumstances.

By doing so, he'll at least keep the door open a crack to an unanticipated resolution of differences.

Faneca knows the Steelers won't negotiate with someone who's AWOL.

Reporting as ordered won't in itself change the Steelers' opinion of him as it relates to 2008 and beyond, but it can't hurt.

Faneca fans have that much to cling to, but only that.

"We're open to keeping things alive, and his people are open to keeping things alive," Colbert said. "Whether we'll ever get anywhere, we don't know.

"What we know is Alan will be here for this season."

Both sides are also well aware of the Steelers' policy of entertaining potential extensions only until the preseason becomes the regular season, unless such a deal is perceived as imminent.

"That hasn't changed for anybody, and it won't change going forward," Colbert said.

Nor is Faneca likely to get any younger between now and then.

He'll be 31 in December.

Troy Polamalu, who has been deemed worthy of receiving a boatload of money, is 26.

And Ben Roethlisberger, who is destined to soon receive the Titanic of such sums, is 25.

And the Steelers aren't interested in spending too much now if it risks what they'll be capable of down the road.

"Never do we want to put it all on, 'OK, this is the year we're going for it,' " Colbert said. "If you do that and you have one key injury and everything's gone and you have to cut that whole team, now you've set yourself back three or four years.

"If we can have a good team every year and have a chance to get to the kind of run we got on when we won the Super Bowl, that's what we want to do."

With or without Alan Faneca, a player destined to embody the heart, the soul and the spirit of the Steelers -- right up until the moment the two part company.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_518396.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_518396.html)

K Train
07-22-2007, 09:58 PM
how many alan fanecas have we lost and replaced in the last 15 years? we'll get over it, **** him

BB2W
07-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Most of you already know my feelings about Faneca.

Signing Ben and Troy are more important and hopefully the Steelers can land one of the top gaurds in the draft next year. Faneca's play has been declining so it may not be that large of a downgrade considering the lineman coming out of college lately.

:2cents:

SteelersfaninPhilly
07-22-2007, 10:17 PM
See ya Faneca

BlitzburghRockCity
07-22-2007, 10:21 PM
It's a sad ending to a guy that's been a Steeler since he was drafted and has done so much for this team. Always willing to restructure a deal, sign an autograph and gave 100 percent on the field every week.

That being said, he's not happy and wants more money than we feel he's worth. I wish he'd have gone about this in a better and more professional manner but it is what it is. We'll move on from this...

BlitzburghNation
07-23-2007, 12:22 AM
It's a sad ending to a guy that's been a Steeler since he was drafted and has done so much for this team. Always willing to restructure a deal, sign an autograph and gave 100 percent on the field every week.

That being said, he's not happy and wants more money than we feel he's worth. I wish he'd have gone about this in a better and more professional manner but it is what it is. We'll move on from this...

Well put TG ~~~~ :clap:
My thought's exactly,,,,,,,,,:popcorn:

SteelerBee43
07-23-2007, 12:29 AM
:cya::helmet:We will survive!!!!:yesnod:

Prosdo
07-23-2007, 06:16 AM
I have to agree with BB2W. Troy and Ben are the priority. They are both in their mid 20's and have alot left in them. Faneca is later in the game and wanting the bigger contract. Personally I lost a lot of respect for him with his little fit.

steelersgal86
07-23-2007, 06:46 AM

:iagree: I could not of said it better....:clap::clap:

Ambridge
07-23-2007, 07:23 AM
IMO the Rooney's particularly Art II has dropped the ball on how they've handled the Faneca situation.
Instead of bringing Alan Faneca into the office and explaining that they love the way he plays and appreciate his contributions to the team both on and off the field and that they are having a hard time negotiating a reasonable number for both parties....the Steelers have taken the position of treating the man with indifference and borderline resentment. Very unprofessional on Art II's part and I'm surprised Dan Rooney has signed on with this position as well.

I think we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg with Art II and the way he plans on dealing with players going into contract years and I think his general sour persona of how he runs an organization will be a huge negative in the years to come.

Iron City South
07-23-2007, 08:34 AM
You don't see many athletes start to get better at 31 yrs. old .... I won't say it never happens, however it's rare.

We got Faneca's best years and now it's time to say buh-bye ...

BR7
07-23-2007, 09:40 AM
I get tired of hearing about him.. lol. Let him be an over aged over paid athlete on somebody elses team. Guards are a dime a dozen.

SteelerSal
07-23-2007, 10:21 AM
I get tired of hearing about him.. lol. Let him be an over aged over paid athlete on somebody elses team. Guards are a dime a dozen.

Tired of hearing about him also, but after he leaves next season, someone better donate a dime to get a dozen gaurds that we are gonna need for an already questionable o-line.:2cents:

Stairwayto7
07-23-2007, 10:36 AM
its a shame, but I have faith that the Steelers brass know what there doing. I love Faneca, but his better days are behind him, and I agree with the Steelers, that the asking price was way to high, for somebody that age.

BigDawg22
07-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Come on up to Cleveland Alan. We'll take you with open arms. Then again if you came to Cleveland you'd probably go down with a career ending injury on the first F#@king day of training camp.

TEEMONT
07-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Well you guys know my feelings on this one. O-line is the most important part of the offensive side of the ball. You don't lose your best player and just "hope" someone can fill in for him.

I think saving all of this money for Ben is going to bite us in the ***. He isn't a high-priced QB, he is a game manager, and we are going to waaaaay overpay for him.

With Faneca probably gone next year here is the way I see the line, and it doesn't look too good, no experience at all, with the exception of Marvel

LT: M. Smith (turns 30 this year)
LG: Mahan (27, but I think this dude is overated)
C: Okobi (turns 30 this year, overrated)
RG: Who ****ing knows, Simmons sucks and Kemoetu isn't a starter in this league)
RT: Starks or Colon ( I dont have too much faith in either)

So the only Pro-bowl quality player we have is Smith, and he isn't even really Pro-Bowl quality this year. If they want to get rid of Faneca....fine, but at least try to trade him so we can get some prospect out of it, b/c we sure as hell don't have any.

Iron City South
07-23-2007, 12:09 PM
I think saving all of this money for Ben is going to bite us in the ***. He isn't a high-priced QB, he is a game manager, and we are going to waaaaay overpay for him.

Are you serious? You defend paying an offensive lineman, but you don't see the need to retain the services of Roethlisberger in a league that has at least 8 teams turning over every stone to find a decent QB? :scratch:

Even if BR is a game manager (and I doubt many people would deny this label), he has some of the best improvisational skills in the league! :yesnod: Not to mention being elusive for a big guy, difficult to bring down, intrinsic leadership skills and has good field vision. While technically not near the best in the league, his Favre'esq "gamer" attitude and sand-lot style of play is worth a fortune to others. :yesnod:

TEEMONT
07-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Are you serious? You defend paying an offensive lineman, but you don't see the need to retain the services of Roethlisberger in a league that has at least 8 teams turning over every stone to find a decent QB? :scratch:

Even if BR is a game manager (and I doubt many people would deny this label), he has some of the best improvisational skills in the league! :yesnod: Not to mention being elusive for a big guy, difficult to bring down, intrinsic leadership skills and has good field vision. While technically not near the best in the league, his Favre'esq "gamer" attitude and sand-lot style of play is worth a fortune to others. :yesnod:

I don't think we should pay Faneca the money he wants...I wish we would, but it wouldnt make sense, so I am not defending paying an O-lineman. I think my statement was, the O-line is the most important part of the football team.

Ben is not as good as people made him out to be, hopefully he proves me wrong, but I don't think he will be worth the fortune we end up paying him. Unless he comes out gunnign this year, and throws for 4,000 yards and 30 TD's, then he better not even see anything close to Manning money.

But this thread isn't about Ben, it's about Faneca, and how our line os goi g to fall apart next year. It won't matter who is throwing the ball, if the line doesn't give time the they need.

Iron City South
07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Here's the thing that chaps my *** about Faneca at this stage of his career. He's a long time veteran who should be taking he position of, "make me a fair offer because I love the organization, I love being a Steeler, and I would like to make it a contract that keeps me in black & gold so that I can retire a Steeler"

ugh... ugh .... that's clearly not what I'm hearing.

What I've heard is, "I expect to be paid like the best, or one of the best lineman in the league and I expect you address my contract now rather than later because I'm putting myself at risk by playing at this measley level of compensation. If you don't address it now .... trade me because I don't want to be part of this organization any longer. And oh by the way, my boy Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhut both got JOBBED and deserved to be the Head Coach. Now my fat *** has to run at camp and I'll be expected to assert myself."

bologna470708
07-23-2007, 06:20 PM
They need to focus on their o-line thats were championships are won.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2007, 06:27 PM
You have to understand that Teemont just has a man crush on Alan Faneca...Its ok Teemont I have man crush on Ben....lol I agree Oline is the most important part of a football team...You don't have a good Oline then you're not going to have a football team....But I also don't think we should over pay for an aging OG...He is OG and you can always find great value in the draft for OG......Yes he is one of the best OGs in the NFL but Alan is on the downside of his career.....Maybe he hasn't started to decline yet but soon he will...Plus lets remember the Steelers didn't offer Faneca 19 million over 3 years......But Faneca wanted 24 over 3 years.....So they did make him an offer at least....

TEEMONT
07-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Faneca could kill a baby and I would still stick up for him....

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2007, 06:50 PM

All I have to say to that is Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

introyitrust
07-23-2007, 07:16 PM

Now that is dedication! :lol:

DIESELMAN
07-23-2007, 07:16 PM
:popcorn2: What a soap opera :banana:

Iron City South
07-23-2007, 07:33 PM

Kind of explains your affinity for Bush and Cheney now doesn't it? :hilarious:

Stairwayto7
07-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Come on up to Cleveland Alan. We'll take you with open arms. Then again if you came to Cleveland you'd probably go down with a career ending injury on the first F#@king day of training camp.

True that:cope:

Prosdo
07-23-2007, 09:00 PM
My whole thing with Alan Faneca is I think he is demanding too much and handling it in the wrong way. I agree with Teemont that O-line is very important. I was hoping they would have traded Faneca before the draft to get a pick or for a different linemen.

TampaSteelGirl
07-24-2007, 12:18 AM

I like this post and agree completely!!! :greengrin:

Ambridge
07-24-2007, 08:01 AM
What I've heard is, "I expect to be paid like the best, or one of the best lineman in the league and I expect you address my contract now rather than later because I'm putting myself at risk by playing at this measley level of compensation.

Well Faneca is no doubt one of the best guards in the league and the mega-deals Eric Steinbach, Kris Dielman and Derrick Dockery received would have me asking "Where's my Big Contract at"???

You have the Cowboys shelling out $50 million-$19 guaranteed for a "Bum" like former Arizona Cardinal Leonard Davis??

Faneca just wants the fair market price for what's being paid around the league.