PDA

View Full Version : Professional sports being exposed ?

BlitzburghRockCity
07-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Vick in trouble for illegal dog fighting
NBA official investigated for trying to help teams cover the spread
Various NFL players in trouble for all sorts of criminal acts
Bonds soon to be indicted
Trainers giving players performance enhancing drugs
Physicians helping players under the table with supplements that aren't be tested for yet.

Players in professional sports have always had issues with the law, but it seems more than ever players are being caught in the act. Is this just a passing thing or is professional sports in real trouble in your opinion..because we all know this isn't the publicity we want to see...

TEEMONT
07-21-2007, 11:03 PM
i think its just a few bad eggs.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-23-2007, 03:23 PM
In the NBA's case, especially with Donaghy, the investigation will tell for sure. Apparently he's enlisted the help of a lawyer who's worked with players who blow the whistle on others in scandals so stay tuned...

Iron City South
07-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Is this just a passing thing or is professional sports in real trouble in your opinion..because we all know this isn't the publicity we want to see...

Players are now getting caught in the act more often because:

1) They make a gross amount of money (more than ever before)

2) The sports media has now become a multi-billion dollar business that is trying to dig up as much as possible on players. Players are in many cases over-exposed on TV.

3) Competitive edge; Many players feel the need to do whatever it takes to keep making the kind of money they're making now .... if not more. So they're willing to do whatever it takes to enhance and optimize their performance.

4) Many athletes are making a value proposition early in life; They're willing to sacrifice their own morals and integrity for the sake of making millions upon millions of dollars living a life they've never dreamed of. This also ensures the next 3 generations of their family never have to work a day in their lives.

Yes, I think our society has created a monster called professional sports and I do think it's only going to get worse the more they are willing to pay these kids.

ARKIESTEEL
07-23-2007, 03:56 PM
I dont think they are the NFL has like 1800 players and how many of them are in trouble???? I bet the % is no higher than CFO's across the country:bigthumb:

Iron City South
07-23-2007, 04:11 PM
I dont think they are the NFL has like 1800 players and how many of them are in trouble???? I bet the % is no higher than CFO's across the country:bigthumb:

The fact that there is under 2000 NFL players would unquestionably make it a much higher percentage considering how many CFO's we're talking about. Secondly, I view the "white collar" criminal acts (i.e. money laundering, insider trading, off-shoring, etc.) of CFO's much different than I do the criminal acts of NFL players (i.e., drugs, guns, gambling, murder, fights, domestic violence, etc.) Allbieit they are all criminal acts, I just think the acts of players are more along the lines of whatthe lowest common denominator in society has to offer.

ARKIESTEEL
07-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Also we have it beat down our throats about the pac mans and the vicks

When they should focus on the good guys in the NFL

NOVA STEELERS
08-17-2007, 12:42 PM
There's always going to be that 10% that bring that black eye to a team or sport........... As much as I will miss #55 on the field, we got rid of him at the right time...... he gets in an altercation in Vegas.......... and his knee is still not where it is going to keep him on the field