PDA

View Full Version : Training camp goals

Captcoolhand
07-17-2007, 03:58 PM
1. Adjust to the new offense
Bruce Arians was promoted from receivers coach to coordinator and, not surprisingly, wants to involve the receivers more. He will open up the offense, even using four wide receivers on first and second downs on occasion.
Arians also will put more responsibility on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's shoulders he will call any changes in blocking protections at the line of scrimmage, something that was done by linemen in the past.
Under Bill Cowher, the Steelers ran more than anyone over the past three seasons after recommitting to the run in 2004. This came after a disastrous 2003 season when they threw the ball all over the place. As long as Roethlisberger does not do a Tommy Maddox imitation, the search for balance might do well for the offense.
2. Settle on an offensive line
Only two starting jobs are secure and one of those unhappily so by left guard Alan Faneca. Marvel Smith also is set at left tackle, but the other three positions are up for grabs.
The Steelers signed Sean Mahan from Tampa Bay to be their starting center, although they've made it look as though there is competition for the job with longtime backup Chukky Okobi.
Kendall Simmons has had to fight to keep his job at right guard from a bid by Chris Kemoeatu. Simmons, entering the final year of his contract, had a great spring; now he needs a good summer to go with it.
Max Starks has started at right tackle the past two years but will be challenged by Willie Colon, a fourth-round draft choice last year.
3. Find a pass rush
The outside linebackers traditionally have been stars of the Steelers' 3-4 pass rush, but they've not been so the past few years. That's one reason Joey Porter was released. The best pressure from Pittsburgh's defense actually has come from its defensive ends, Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel.
James Harrison moves into Porter's spot at right outside linebacker after years as a backup. Coordinator Dick LeBeau will move Keisel around on defense to take advantage of his athletic ability and his pass rush. Keisel will play from a three-point stance but also move up on the outside and inside.
Rookie LaMarr Woodley, their second-round draft choice, should see plenty of time as a pass rusher in their dime defense from the left side, a job starting outside linebacker Clark Haggans has held. Coach Mike Tomlin wants to keep his pass rushers fresh and he likes what Woodley can give him in the pass defenses.So looking forward to this. :yesnod:

SteelerSal
07-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Rookie LaMarr Woodley, their second-round draft choice, should see plenty of time as a pass rusher in their dime defense from the left side, a job starting outside linebacker Clark Haggans has held. Coach Mike Tomlin wants to keep his pass rushers fresh and he likes what Woodley can give him in the pass defenses.

What is really starting to bother me is that we are not hearing anything about our first round pick(Gee I can't remember his name.....Oh yeah Timmons:dunno:) Woodley should play like a first rounder after all the ink he is getting from the press.:bigthumb:

AZ_Steeler
07-17-2007, 04:13 PM
This weekend!!!! :cope:

IMO the pass rush will still be there. I'm pleased with the draft picks the Steelers picked up and no matter who's in there the Steelers defense usually gets the job done. I think the fourth goal should be to get the settle on the secondary with the corners and safeties.. Smith NEEDS to be lined up next to Troy :bigthumb:

SteelersfaninPhilly
07-17-2007, 04:17 PM
What is really starting to bother me is that we are not hearing anything about our first round pick(Gee I can't remember his name.....Oh yeah Timmons:dunno:) Woodley should play like a first rounder after all the ink he is getting from the press.:bigthumb:

If timmons can get on the field....

Black@Gold Forever32
07-17-2007, 04:32 PM
So looking forward to this. :yesnod:

These three questions are the biggest in my mind also....If those three questions are answered during the season then the Steelers season should be a very good one.....:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

DIESELMAN
07-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Timmons has had one of those naggin *** hammy injuries. Its better to rest him now and maybe miss a few games then to push that and it get worse. Getting the OL settled and working as one should be the biggest of them all, without cohesion, we'll be looking like last year or worse.

Captcoolhand
07-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Arians also will put more responsibility on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's shoulders he will call any changes in blocking protections at the line of scrimmage, something that was done by linemen in the past.
:clap:It's about time they give Ben the riegn to make the calls. I just hope that He has learn enough about reading defences. :crossfingers:
Ya..... I'm sure he has.:yesnod: He's no Tim Couch :nono:

Stlrs4Life
07-17-2007, 06:02 PM
4. Stay relatively injury free

5. Conditioning, conditoning, conditioning!

PsychoWard
07-17-2007, 06:09 PM
4. Stay relatively injury free

5. Conditioning, conditoning, conditioning!

6. don't get arrested ...oh uh wait we aren't the bungholes lmao!!

strong D
07-17-2007, 06:26 PM
We need to develop a good number 3 WR Washington did good last year but I have been waiting to see Young (if he is still on the roster) he showed alot of skill before his injury and peronally i cant stand Wilson

SteelersfaninPhilly
07-17-2007, 07:02 PM
We need to develop a good number 3 WR Washington did good last year but I have been waiting to see Young (if he is still on the roster) he showed alot of skill before his injury and peronally i cant stand Wilson

A third wr might be mute. If Millers steps up.

Captcoolhand
07-17-2007, 07:22 PM
A third wr might be mute. If Millers steps up.
I don't think it's a matter of Miller steping up,we know he's got what it takes.It's just how much will they utilize him.:dunno::scratch:

strong D
07-17-2007, 07:36 PM
I think Miller is great but i would still like to see a number 3 WR who gets open and catches the ball consistently

SteelersfaninPhilly
07-17-2007, 09:36 PM
I think Miller is great but i would still like to see a number 3 WR who gets open and catches the ball consistently

That be nice but if were copying the chargers as so the rumor goes. Then I think Miller becomes your third reciever behind holmes and ward.

BlitzburghNation
07-17-2007, 09:46 PM
6. don't get arrested ...oh uh wait we aren't the bungholes lmao!!

:haha::haha::haha:

Deb
07-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Training camp goals: Steelers

LINK (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7025696)

1. Adjust to the new offense

Bruce Arians was promoted from receivers coach to coordinator and, not surprisingly, wants to involve the receivers more. He will open up the offense, even using four wide receivers on first and second downs on occasion.

Under Bill Cowher, the Steelers ran more than anyone over the past three seasons after recommitting to the run in 2004. This came after a disastrous 2003 season when they threw the ball all over the place. As long as Roethlisberger does not do a Tommy Maddox imitation, the search for balance might do well for the offense.

2. Settle on an offensive line

Only two starting jobs are secure and one of those unhappily so by left guard Alan Faneca. Marvel Smith also is set at left tackle, but the other three positions are up for grabs.

The Steelers signed Sean Mahan from Tampa Bay to be their starting center, although they've made it look as though there is competition for the job with longtime backup Chukky Okobi.

Kendall Simmons has had to fight to keep his job at right guard from a bid by Chris Kemoeatu. Simmons, entering the final year of his contract, had a great spring; now he needs a good summer to go with it.

Max Starks has started at right tackle the past two years but will be challenged by Willie Colon, a fourth-round draft choice last year.

3. Find a pass rush

The outside linebackers traditionally have been stars of the Steelers' 3-4 pass rush, but they've not been so the past few years. That's one reason Joey Porter was released. The best pressure from Pittsburgh's defense actually has come from its defensive ends, Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel.

James Harrison moves into Porter's spot at right outside linebacker after years as a backup. Coordinator Dick LeBeau will move Keisel around on defense to take advantage of his athletic ability and his pass rush. Keisel will play from a three-point stance but also move up on the outside and inside.

Rookie LaMarr Woodley, their second-round draft choice, should see plenty of time as a pass rusher in their dime defense from the left side, a job starting outside linebacker Clark Haggans has held. Coach Mike Tomlin wants to keep his pass rushers fresh and he likes what Woodley can give him in the pass defenses.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-21-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't think we'll have much of a problem adjusting to the new offense. It's mainly the same scheme just without all the BS extra stuff that's been in there for the last 15 years that was never used. There will be an adjustment time and we'll see mistakes by everyone on the offense in the early part of the season Im sure but as time goes on this year we should see things really start to click with those 11 guys. It all hinges on the OL though, if they don't play well nothing is going to work so settling on a starting 5 and having them play together as much as possible is crucial to our success.

Dako
07-21-2007, 01:40 PM
and peronally i cant stand Wilson

Are there any Wilson fans out there? This seems to be a common theme.

RckyMtnStlrFan
07-21-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't think we'll have much of a problem adjusting to the new offense. It's mainly the same scheme just without all the BS extra stuff that's been in there for the last 15 years that was never used. There will be an adjustment time and we'll see mistakes by everyone on the offense in the early part of the season Im sure but as time goes on this year we should see things really start to click with those 11 guys. It all hinges on the OL though, if they don't play well nothing is going to work so settling on a starting 5 and having them play together as much as possible is crucial to our success.

It's a good thing that the 1st part of the season is the easiest. If we can get some wins during the "adjusting" period, then hopefully we will be ready for the really tough second half of the season.:2cents::crossfingers:

I, personally, think we will be fine and we'll have a great season!:yesnod:

We are just hours away from training camp!:cabbagepatch::banana::cabbagepatch::banana:
:cabbagepatch: