PDA

View Full Version : NFL team outside the US?

Stairwayto7
07-16-2007, 07:53 AM
NFL exec wants teams in London, Mexico and Canada within 10 years
Mark Waller, NFL senior vice president of sales and marketing, also said in an interview that he hopes the league would have teams based in London, Mexico and Canada within 10 years. Waller said that he hopes the league would have teams based outside the U.S. by 2017. ``Ten years from now, I hope we will have a team in London, I hope we'll have a team in Mexico, I hope we'll have one in Toronto, playing within the NFL,'' Waller said.

I vote NO! NFL, National Football League, this nation only! I think this is bullshit!:banging:

ARKIESTEEL
07-16-2007, 08:01 AM
No offense Pete but I think we need to keep this here

Black@Gold Forever32
07-16-2007, 12:17 PM
It will never happen.......That would create a travel nightmare for the teams......

AZ_Steeler
07-16-2007, 12:50 PM
That is the dumbest idea I have heard in a long time!

Stairwayto7
07-16-2007, 01:09 PM
I agree, I do not want to see this happen at all!

Hburg
07-16-2007, 03:37 PM
North America is one thing....Mexico City, Toronto, Vancouver or even San Juan I could see succeeding to a certain extent, but having one league that is supposed to span the globe will extend the season past 25 weeks to fit in the travel time, wear out teams, raise all NFL costs both within itself as well as merchandise/etc. to fans, and take away from the strong home fanbase to give to another fanbase that has a strong chance of not caring about the game/league in the first place.

If there is such a strong desire for global football than separates leagues should be established and loaded with hometown players instead of NFL cast-offs pegged as "developmental" players. It will be a much longer time until these proposed overseas leagues will become well rooted to the point of being able to compete with the NFL. There is still a strong chance that they may never be able to compete with the NFL. If it does however succeed, than a global playoff should be handled in a way similar to the new World Baseball Classic or World Cup.

BuFu

strong D
07-16-2007, 07:17 PM
They all have their own football (soccer) they can start their own league the NFL needs to stay in the good old states

Prosdo
07-16-2007, 07:48 PM
North America is one thing....Mexico City, Toronto, Vancouver or even San Juan I could see succeeding to a certain extent, but having one league that is supposed to span the globe will extend the season past 25 weeks to fit in the travel time, wear out teams, raise all NFL costs both within itself as well as merchandise/etc. to fans, and take away from the strong home fanbase to give to another fanbase that has a strong chance of not caring about the game/league in the first place.

If there is such a strong desire for global football than separates leagues should be established and loaded with hometown players instead of NFL cast-offs pegged as "developmental" players. It will be a much longer time until these proposed overseas leagues will become well rooted to the point of being able to compete with the NFL. There is still a strong chance that they may never be able to compete with the NFL. If it does however succeed, than a global playoff should be handled in a way similar to the new World Baseball Classic or World Cup.

BuFu

I agree Hburg. Close cities in Canada and Mexico would not be too bad, but London??? I prefer the NFL stay in the United States. There is no need to expand the NFL like that it would be a nightmare to travel.

Hburg
07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
I agree Hburg. Close cities in Canada and Mexico would not be too bad, but London??? I prefer the NFL stay in the United States. There is no need to expand the NFL like that it would be a nightmare to travel.

Also, we already know there is a large American football fanbase in Canada and Mexico. Mexico City has a huge following of the NFL and the Steelers, and Canada has the CFL.

BuFu

SteelersfaninPhilly
07-16-2007, 11:15 PM
This is all about expanding the NFL brand and putting more $$$ into there coffers. I mean your probably looking at an expansion franchise fee of a billion dollars. If not more.

SteelCityMan786
07-16-2007, 11:18 PM
I say they help the overseas leagues create their own league.

If we have teams HERE in North America, ok, I have no problem.

BlitzburghNation
07-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Heard this on Sirius and I agree with clevestinks,,,,,,:popcorn:

SteelerSteve
07-17-2007, 03:58 AM
Yeah! why screw with something that has been such a huge AMERICAN tradition for almost one hundred years? Sometimes you just need to leace good enough alone:2cents:

Ambridge
07-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I don't think Globalizing the NFL will ever be a success.
For one thing the training grounds or minor leagues so to speak for the NFL is NCAA football programs.

Colleges in large foreign countries can't contribute players because they don't play the game and even if they draw players from American colleges the calliber and quality of these players will be second rate and will be nothing more than semi-pro level football at best.

Theres too much of a physical requirement on speed, agility and power for American football that it wont translate on a global scale.

NFL Football skills cannot be globally harvested.

kgreen
07-17-2007, 03:02 PM
This is the NFL not FIFA not the NHL. We do not need a team in London or Mexico. Who wants to play a road game in London against the Red Coats? Or how about going accross the border to play the Mexico Drug Lords. I say no.