PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Tomlin schedules tough camp

Captcoolhand
07-11-2007, 09:51 AM
The Steelers will hit the ground running in their first training camp under head coach Mike Tomlin.
The players are due to report to St. Vincent College by 4 p.m. on July 23. That 4 p.m. deadline coincides with the annual camp-opening conditioning test.
Also on the itinerary are 15 two-a-days during the 25-day camp, which runs through Aug. 16.
"That is what NFL training camps are all about," Tomlin said in June upon concluding the offseason's organized team activities. "They are not supposed to be pleasant."

The Steelers had their conditioning tests the day after reporting during the Bill Cowher era.
Cowher also shied away from two-a-day practices in recent seasons.
The Steelers have two practices scheduled for five consecutive days, July 24-28.
Following an afternoon-only practice July 29, the Steelers will endure another set of five two-a-days (July 30-Aug. 3) in advance of opening the preseason against the New Orleans Saints at 8 p.m. Aug. 5 in Canton, Ohio, in the Hall of Fame Game.
The players' first off day, not counting the travel day to Ohio, will be Aug. 6, two weeks after their reporting date.
Their second and final off day will be Aug. 12, the day after hosting the Green Bay Packers at 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 11.
Five more two-a-days have been scheduled between the Hall of Fame Game and the Steelers' third preseason game, at 8 p.m. Aug. 18 at the Washington Redskins, including three in a row over the final three days at St. Vincent.
The Steelers will break camp Aug. 17, the day before the Redskins game.
Night practices have been scheduled for July 27 (a Friday night at Latrobe High School) and Aug. 2 (a Thursday night at St. Vincent), both on the back end of a scheduled two-a-day.
Man that seem like alot of practices... Hope we don't take on a bunch of injuries

SteelerSal
07-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Man that seem like alot of practices... Hope we don't take on a bunch of injuries

That is what I was thinking when I read;

Also on the itinerary are 15 two-a-days during the 25-day camp, which runs through Aug. 16.
"That is what NFL training camps are all about," Tomlin said in June upon concluding the offseason's organized team activities. "They are not supposed to be pleasant."

Reminds me of the ESPN movie about Bear Bryant when he coached Texas A&M and he took the team into the desert.:lol:

Stairwayto7
07-11-2007, 10:04 AM
I don`t want to burn the players out!

BlitzburghRockCity
07-11-2007, 12:52 PM
This will make or break our guys..since the team is still mostly made up of Cowher players they are in for a rude awakening during this camp so I hope they're ready.

BBG7
07-11-2007, 01:03 PM
I think this could be good for them if we can stay away from injuries. The guys need to learn what is expected of them and start perfecting the new play book. There is still a lot for them to learn under the new coaching staff! It will be different for the guys, and I hope they adjust to the change!

AZ_Steeler
07-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Tomlin wants to separate the men from the boys evidently... fine by me though because a harder camp will get them more prepared for the season so they can come out the gate strong rather than their normal snails pace.

SteelersWoman
07-11-2007, 01:20 PM
...Reminds me of the ESPN movie about Bear Bryant when he coached Texas A&M and he took the team into the desert.:lol:

I saw that movie--very intense! He treated them worse than animals as far as pushing them and keepin them out in heat with no water...but the ones that held up did so because they were tough enough, and they all ended up almost worshippin the guy. They also became a heck of a football team :yesnod:

Tomlin wants to separate the men from the boys evidently... fine by me though because a harder camp will get them more prepared for the season so they can come out the gate strong rather than their normal snails pace.

Exactly :bigthumb:

manofsteel
07-11-2007, 02:36 PM
ive always beleived they need more tough work at camp

DIESELMAN
07-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Put it on em!!!! You practice the way you play....Hard!!!!!

SteelerSteve
07-12-2007, 03:19 AM
Make em' earn those millions of dollars! they are pro athletes they can handle a little hard work. Besides it will only make them tougher:2cents:

Captcoolhand
07-12-2007, 04:06 AM
I don't mind the hard work just don't get injured doing it....
I can hear these guys now, "Oh my groan" if it gets to be to much.:yesnod:

BlitzburghNation
07-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Who wants the job the worst is the guy's we'll see on the Field :bigthumb:

He's gonna drill his Playbook in his players & it's gonna bring out the best in our Players :tt02:

If they Survive & Keep injury free our guy's will be Fundamentally sound and in tip top shape,,,,,,,,:tt02:

kgreen
07-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Two Words: Chuck Noll. Chuck made his team do the hard stuff. The Result: 4 Super Bowls. So Far Tomlin is coaching like Noll. He comes from the Noll coaching branch being under Tony Dungy, a former Steeler coach/player. I am loving what I read/hear about Tomlin and what he is doing.

SteelerSal
07-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Two Words: Chuck Noll. Chuck made his team do the hard stuff. The Result: 4 Super Bowls. So Far Tomlin is coaching like Noll. He comes from the Noll coaching branch being under Tony Dungy, a former Steeler coach/player. I am loving what I read/hear about Tomlin and what he is doing.

:plus1:Great post. Let's just pray that it's a productive and most important, injury free training camp.:tt02:

steelcitysfinestXL
07-12-2007, 03:51 PM
This is a GREAT thing. Like someone posted earlier, this will be the time to DRILL playbooks, schemes, audibles, coverages etc. I think (for Ben atleast) that was a major problem last season. Lack of knowledge of the playbook, protections and audibles. This will be the time to make sure EVERYONE knows where to be on EVERY single snap. When the first game of the season comes along its gonna be like letting 52 Pittbulls out of a cage when we roll out of a tunnel!!!! I CANT WAIT FOR CAMP!!!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
07-12-2007, 08:33 PM
That's the thing that concerns me is potential injuries, but with the work these guys have put in this offseason already most of them are already in good shape so that will be a benefit for them once camp starts.

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Sounds like a good camp get them physically fit... it ain't like they are gonna be hitting each other the whole time!!

Ambridge
07-15-2007, 06:19 PM
I hope Tomlin kicks the players ***'s all camp long. Get rid of all the unproductive garbage and the whiners who are still holding a grudge about Whiz and Grimm being looked over.

I wouldn't necessarily be worried about injuries with the extra practices.
I'm guessing they wont be going live contact on the double days and will be doing the head-work on a lot of the second sessions.

Stlrs4Life
07-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Hope we can stay away from the injuies, if so, hard Camp will only put them in shape.

TampaSteelGirl
07-16-2007, 12:32 AM

I definately agree! I just hope injuries stay low,that's my only worry but I feel they need a tough camp this year. Let everyone know Tomlin is serious about Steeler football...I can't wait! :tt02:

Ambridge
07-17-2007, 09:29 AM

I hear what you're saying and know what you mean but it's a bit of stretch to mention Tomlin's name in the same breath as Chuck Noll.....or even Bill Cowher's.:redcool:
I for one sure hope Tomlin carves out his own successful and distinct era of Steelers football and brings a few Lombardi's back home but he has a long way to go and has two hard acts to follow.

Stlrs4Life
07-17-2007, 08:57 PM
That's for sure Ambridge.

SteelerSteve
07-18-2007, 01:28 AM
I agree, but Tomlin definitely seems to be on the right track by making sure that the guys are in shape to make a superbowl run:bigthumb: