PDA

View Full Version : Franchise Changing Events

Steelerlyn
07-10-2007, 09:36 PM
While listening to the local sports' radio show the other day one of the hosts asked you to create one franchise changing event. Since I was driving in tin-buck-two and quite aways from my home, I had time to think and drive and think and drive lol. I thought this was an interesting question and certainly one I had not thought of. My first thought was that Unitas would have never been cut and the team would not have waited til the 70's to win. Then I started thinking/realizing that if they had one earlier then the chain of events would have changed and we would not have had those great years with all of those great guys. Would you trade earlier success by sacrificing the 70s', no way. I started to think of other events that could have changed the team. (I am not including The fumble, The tackle or the missed field goal as obvious events of change)

1. Franco drops the immaculate reception. The team was too good to have this one event stop them but it may have delayed success a year or two.

2. Bradshaw doesn't get hurt. How many more rings?

3. Joe Gilliam kept as starter. Would he have had the same success as Terry.

4. Art Rooney hired a better coach sooner.

5. Steelers hire Jeff Fisher. Do they wait 15 years for the thumb? Does he last 15 years?

6. Kordell throws no picks against Denver and NE. ( I can't even imagine it to be honest)

7. The Giants draft Big Ben instead of Rivers.

8. Neil O doesn't think Larry Brown wore black and gold. Does he re-sign and win multiple rings?
( does that erase the Kordell era in its entirety?)

9. The Steelers draft Chad Pennington instead of Plex ( or draft Larry Johnson in a different draft)

10. Bam Morris doesn't get busted and has long healthy career ( no Bus?)

introyitrust
07-11-2007, 01:44 AM
11. We keep Plax and let Hines go.

12. Tommy Maddox doesn't get injured in week 2 vs. the Ravens

13. Ben doesn't get in the bike accident.

Steelerlyn
07-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Any more ideas?

SteelerSteve
07-12-2007, 02:54 AM
14. We resign Randel El(how many more games would we have won with better special teams play?)

kgreen
07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
I love #13.

15. Steelers Draft Dan Marino. This should be #1, but I geuss no one thought of it.

okiesteeler
07-12-2007, 12:19 PM
16. Bill Cowher uses his players to their strengths (i.e. Mark Bruener, Heath Miller, and the list goes on)

SteelerSal
07-12-2007, 02:11 PM
17. 1974 staff does'nt do their homework and overlook drafting Swann, Lambert, Webster, Stallworth and don't invite FA Donnie Shell to camp.:dunno:

18. Never Aquire Bettis from the Rams.

19. Odonnel completes pass to Foster, against the Chargers, in the AFCC game and goes on the play the 49ers in the Superbowl.

20. Special teams shows up in playoff games against Patriots(twice) and Titans.:banging:

21. Harbaugh completes last second hail mary pass and keeps us from going to XXX.
22. We ruin Dolohins 1972 perfect season by not getting beat in the AFCC game by a fake punt.:cursin:
23.Franco and Bleier are healthy for the AFCC game against Raiders in 1976.

kgreen
07-12-2007, 02:30 PM
17. 1974 staff does'nt do their homework and overlook drafting Swann, Lambert, Webster, Stallworth and don't invite FA Donnie Shell to camp.:dunno:

18. Never Aquire Bettis from the Rams.

19. Odonnel completes pass to Foster, against the Chargers, in the AFCC game and goes on the play the 49ers in the Superbowl.

20. Special teams shows up in playoff games against Patriots(twice) and Titans.:banging:

21. Harbaugh completes last second hail mary pass and keeps us from going to XXX.
22. We ruin Dolohins 1972 perfect season by not getting beat in the AFCC game by a fake punt.:cursin:
23.Franco and Bleier are healthy for the AFCC game against Raiders in 1976.

24. Steelers Hire Dave Wannstedt instead of Bill Cowher.

25. Steelers don't sign Duce Staley.

26. Steelers Trade up in 1999 draft to take Torry Holt instead Troy Edwards.

27. Mike Vandershank Doesn't missed game-tying kick in the Divisional Playoffs.

28. Art Rooney Hires Joe Pa instead of Chuck Noll

BlitzburghNation
07-12-2007, 02:55 PM
2. Bradshaw doesn't get hurt. How many more rings? :dunno: Probably at least 1 more,,,,,:bigthumb:

5. Steelers hire Jeff Fisher. Do they wait 15 years for the thumb? No, but our QB's kept us from winning 1 or 2 super's in the 90's,,, Does he last 15 years? Absolutley--- :greengrin:

6. Kordell throws no picks against Denver and NE. ( I can't even imagine it to be honest),,,,,,,,,:haha: This should be in comedy central :haha:

7. The Giants draft Big Ben instead of Rivers. Would've sucked,,,:banging:

8. Neil O doesn't think Larry Brown wore black and gold. Does he re-sign and win multiple rings? IMO he was gone regardless,,,,,,:dunno:
( does that erase the Kordell era in its entirety?) Would've been nice:bigthumb:

10. Bam Morris doesn't get busted and has long healthy career ( no Bus?)
:scratch: Man that is hard too imagine,,,,,BAM was a hoss though !!!!

Interested thought's Lyn,,,,,,,, :popcorn: Good post----:bigthumb:

Blitzburghpete
07-13-2007, 06:47 PM
29 - Cowher Benches Ben because of everything he's gone through until week 6 of the 2006 season and Batch leads us to a 5-1 record before Ben comes back and takes us to the play offs

SteelerSteve
07-14-2007, 01:45 AM
30. Bens appendix doesn't go south, I wonder how much impact that had?
31. Carson Palmer doesn't get injured in the playoff game(we still would have won,imo)

kgreen
07-14-2007, 12:04 PM
30. Bens appendix doesn't go south, I wonder how much impact that had?
31. Carson Palmer doesn't get injured in the playoff game(we still would have won,imo)

32. Dan Ronney isn't able to keep the Steelers in Pittsburgh after the 97 season. How heart breaking would that have been?

Steelerlyn
07-14-2007, 04:56 PM
I love

Couldas, wouldas & even shouldas LOL~!!

Ambridge
07-14-2007, 08:17 PM
*Art Rooney II slowly dismantles the Steelers and all the winning tradition an runs the team into the ground.
*Art Rooney II shows his cheap-*** mentality and screws the fans on the regular season ticket availability to the Steeler loyal fan base.

Bill Cowher left to rot in the sun.

Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm sent packing

Joey Porter and Alan Faneca being treated like riff-raff.

*-See above

DIESELMAN
07-14-2007, 09:11 PM
* The Steelers lose the coin toss to the Bears for the #1 overall pick in the 1970 draft (we don't get Bradshaw)

BlitzburghRockCity
07-15-2007, 12:10 AM
The Jets don't miss that potential game winning FG in the playoffs in 2004.

Ben doesn't get into a bike accident, have appendicitis, or a concussion leading into the 2006 season and one wonders what might have been.

The Bus doesn't retire ??

SteelerSal
07-15-2007, 12:59 AM
We keep our draft spot and don't trade places with Dallas and draft Emmitt Smith instead of Eric Green.

Rooney's say, "Screw uni change" and we keep the block number jerseys.:bigthumb:

Lambert never gets turf toe and is not forced into early retirement.

We have an above .500 season and miss out on drafting Ben.