PDA

View Full Version : Sheldon catches on with Steelers

Captcoolhand
07-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Dan Sheldon went to bed Thursday thinking his professional football playing days could be over, but by Friday afternoon his career was alive and well.
The Northern Illinois graduate and former Courier News Player of the Year from Burlington Central said he began making plans for life after football after being cut by the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday. Those plans were put on hold, though, when he was claimed off waivers by both the Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles on Friday.
Per NFL rules the team with the worse record last season wins his rights, meaning that he is now property of the Steelers, who finished 8-8 in 2006.
"This has probably been one of the craziest weeks I've ever been a part of," Sheldon said. "After what happened Tuesday when I thought that could have been it, I was just thrilled to have anything on the table. Then I have two teams trying to claim me off waivers."
Sheldon will report to the Steelers' training camp July 23 in Latrobe, Pa., where he will try to earn a spot on the team as a kick returner. If Sheldon ends up signing with the Steelers it will be his fifth different team since joining the Arizona Cardinals in 2005 as an undrafted free agent out of college.
Sheldon has never played in a regular-season NFL game, but he is hoping that he can quickly impress first-year Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and his staff. Sheldon is encouraged by the fact that the Steelers have five preseason games, which is one more than most NFL teams.
Pittsburgh opens its preseason schedule against New Orleans in the Hall of Fame Game at 7 p.m. on Aug. 5 in Canton, Ohio. The game will be televised on NFL Network.
"Having that extra preseason game is always good for a guy trying to make it to the NFL because that is an extra game to get seen," Sheldon said. "The more times I can put that jersey on the better. It's getting to that point where every time I get to put it on it's a pleasure."
Sheldon is coming off a solid stint with the Cologne Centurions in NFL Europe. Despite being hampered by a strained left hamstring, Sheldon managed to finish second in the now-defunct league in kickoff returns with an average of 25.1 yards. His punt-return average of 10.6 yards was good for third in the league.
Despite that success, the Falcons decided against retaining Sheldon -- who signed with the team in February. After returning to the U.S. two weeks ago, Sheldon went to Birmingham, Ala., for rehab before returning to the Chicago area last week.
On Monday, Sheldon flew to Atlanta for a meeting with team doctors. He left thinking he was in the clear, but the next day he received the news he'd been cut.
"For some reason I was the guy they decided to let go, but who knows, maybe it will work out better this way," Sheldon said.
The news caught Sheldon and his agent off guard, and with most NFL rosters already solidified Sheldon began making plans beyond football. He scheduled a trip to California to meet with a friend about a potential business venture, but that is no longer in the works after Friday's developments. "It's hard to get surprised in the NFL," Sheldon said. "I was upset and disappointed when I got cut by the Falcons, but it's hard to be surprised because sometimes you're in a great position and it doesn't work out and sometimes you think it's over and you get another chance."

Well i guess we will just have to see how it goes....add him to the list with Jackson
Good to see that the Steelers are making an effort to sign someone to fill a need. :2cents:

BlitzburghNation
07-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Wish him luck,,,,,:bigthumb:

What I would give too have a chance like him ~~~ :greengrin:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-07-2007, 07:18 PM
With Reid not 100 percent again this year we don't have a full time KR so right now the more bodies we can get in there to try and fight for the job the better.

Prosdo
07-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Hopefully he can contribute.

manofsteel
07-07-2007, 07:54 PM
I dunno maybe we can get a little somethin out of him

DIESELMAN
07-07-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm hoping Reid gets over his injury and becomes our returner. This guy seems a little light in the ***, but you never know, hes got the size to disappear on the field and come out the other side.

SteelerSal
07-07-2007, 09:16 PM
He is just another body in camp. He has bounced around the league(s) and I don't see him making first cut.
This might just be a way of Tomlin telling Reid to be ready for training camp.