PDA

View Full Version : What did You think the moment Bettis Fumbled?

Steelerlyn
07-06-2007, 10:09 PM
What was your reaction to the Bettis fumble in the 2005 playoff game against the Colts? I am sure there are some good stories about near death experiences.

I remember the ball popping free..and that time slowed down like it does when you are in a car accident. That sense of free suspension in time where you are totally focused on where that ball is going to end up. I immediately looked over at Matthew's face and his face took on a colour I have never seen before. Somewhere between grey and white..perhaps even a greenish. All i can say is that I had such a feeling of dread that I felt momentarily dizzy, and I immediately thought of the Immaculate Reception and that famous slow motion shot of Harris picking the ball up at his shoelaces and starting his powerful run to the end zone. This is it! This is where us Steeler fans get paid back in karma for that defining moment in Steeler football. I half rose from my chair but was unable to stand fully.. I only got half way up and collapsed back down as I saw Harper had the ball and was running for the winning TD.

LOL It was like having the flu for 30 seconds or so...lol! The funny thing is..when Ben made the tackle I was sure we would still win the game. Not sure why..but I was very confident after that...like we had dodged the bullet...I shouldnt have been so confident but I was.
Its for such moments and such games that I love Steelers football. What drama!

BlitzburghNation
07-06-2007, 10:20 PM
My jaw dropped to the floor,,,,,,,,:jawdrop:

I couldn't believe it,,,,,,,Then Big Ben made a play known now as "the tackle"

Then when manning took a shot in the endzone & it got broken up by Mcfadden,,,,:toot:

Then the all important Fieldgoal as he lined up I told my wife were going to overtime,,,,,,,,But was :pray: he would choke and he did :banana:

After that game I just knew we were wining our 5th championship,,,:tt02:

Love the name he got after that kick Vander-choke,Vander-shank :haha:

Prosdo
07-06-2007, 10:21 PM
I was down my family's bar and I've never heard so much yelling and swearing in my life. Hell, I don't think I've ever sweared that much either. Some people were crying as well. I just felt such a sick feeling. Thankfully we prevailed.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-06-2007, 10:26 PM
I was so pissed and I called Jerome some very not so nice names....lol Which I love Bettis don't get me wrong its just I'm a madman when watching the Steelers.....lol I think I called him fat *** about 12 times and threw my Terrible Towel about that many times also.....lol In the big guys defense though Brackett made a text book tackle and put his helmet on the ball.....Really it was more of Brackett making a great play then Bettis screwing up.....So after I calmed down I didn't fault Bettis so much....lol

Then I was just praying that Golden Boy didn't lead the Colts to a TD.....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
07-06-2007, 10:31 PM
I was just in total shock, I like everyone else figured handing off to the Bus was the sure fire way to run out the clock and score again to ice the win. When he fumbled my heart literally skipped a beat or 2 I think. I was in total disbelief and all I could think of was somebody tackle that dude !!

If Ben wouldn't have had the foresight to start running ahead of time to put himself in a position to make the tackle we wouldn't have had our 1 for the thumb.

When Vanderjerk walked up for that FG attempt I had a gut feeling he was going to miss it but believe me I was praying for him to miss it and crossing my fingers and hiding my eyes in my Terrible Towel with just enough room to peak out and watch the kick till I heard Tunch & Bill say that he missed it !

K Train
07-06-2007, 10:38 PM
i was working at the ski shop and we have like 3 steelers fans there watching the game in the back on a 13'' tv....we flipped the **** out, right away we knew someone was gonna get him, if ben didnt trip him tuman was running his *** down, but we yelled so much people we scared in the front of the shop

strong D
07-06-2007, 10:40 PM
" Here we go again I just want to see them win 1 superbowl"

TEEMONT
07-06-2007, 10:46 PM
I fell to the florr in the bar....I missed the tackle....

DIESELMAN
07-06-2007, 11:01 PM
It was like a kick in the gut, I did the same thing BGF32 did, called Bettis a fat *** a few times...lol then came to my senses and helped (the entire Steeler Nation was helping on that tackle cuz it was destiny for us and Bettis to win the SB) Ben to make the tackle.

Stlrs4Life
07-06-2007, 11:15 PM
I blurted out, OMG, $%^&ing not again!

SteelersfaninPhilly
07-06-2007, 11:25 PM
YOU MOTHERFCUKER, THREW MY BEER MUG THREW THE WINDOW.

TampaSteelGirl
07-07-2007, 01:20 AM
I damn near **** my pants!! I was so sick to my stomach! It was a horrible feeling and I really felt bad for him, we won...that's all that matters!! :tt02:

SteelerSteve
07-07-2007, 02:05 AM
I think I was starting to go into shock, and I grabbed a pillow and hugged it as hard as I could, I didn't let go until after vanderchoke missed the field-goal:lol: Definitley the most intense moment of football Ive ever seen

Blitzburghpete
07-07-2007, 04:25 AM
Laughed .......becuase i was watching game highlights and new we'd won before seeing the game. It was funny becuase the Colts were so close, yet so far...LOL. I like it when we play the colts in the championship finals. we tease them..

the tackle and FG miss

The 95 champsionship game
On the game winning drive
Neil O donnell throwing to a wide open colts OLB who if he caught it would have scored. Willie Williams ( our CB ) the drive before with THAT tackle.

Jim Harbough hail mary pass than landed in the gut of a colts recevier who only had to close his arms to win the game

LOL Just wish we could tease... i mean play the colts more often!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The only thing i would say though was when i saw the game and what happened i hoped more than anything that the Bus wouldn't have his career ruined and remembered for that fumble. He's been my favoutire all time steeler, who was so classy, such a role model, i wanted people to remember The Bus for something good.

Stairwayto7
07-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Cannot explain how bummed I was! Ben Saved the day though!

PsychoWard
07-07-2007, 11:25 AM
i was at cleve's house and jump off the couch on to the floor couldn't believe it i thought i was going to have a heart attack at the age of 24!

SteelerSal
07-07-2007, 11:37 AM
When the ball popped loose and I saw that a D-back and not a D-lineman picked it up I thought that there was no chance of anybody catching him.:banging:

The group of people I was with all screamed "NOOOOOO!!!!":cursin: and then it was silent for what seemed like forever when it only lasted a few seconds before Ben's tackle.

I went to the doctors after the game and he said that my only chance of recovery would be rest and to take one Superbowl Victory to relieve the pain.:cope:

introyitrust
07-07-2007, 05:54 PM
I was immediately frozen and sick.
I went from pure elation when Porter sacked Peyton on 4th Down. I was screaming "game over".But then when I saw the ball on the turf I was ill I saw flashbacks of the final drop of the San Diego AFCC game years ago, and then the last second "roughing the kicker" penalty vs. TENN in the playoffs. And I, like I'm sure a lot of you were, was thinking "OH Shiit NOT AGAIN!"
I hated when they kept showing my boy Hines on the sideline in near tears throughout the Colts drive.

I remember reading somewhere that a Steeler fan had a heartattack as the fumble occured. It doesn't surprise me one bit. Steeler Nation bleeds black and Gold!

manofsteel
07-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I was at work just talking smack about about how we were killing Peyton and the rest of those Hollywood Heroes when NO O M G Buss fumbles the ball. It was on the radio and all I heard was Tunch Ilkin screaming NO oh no oh no he fumled the ball. I dropped to one knee and was about to start crying when Ben made THE TACKLE. I wrapped my terrible towell around my fist and stayed on my one knee until a certain choke artist missed a feild goal. Then I got up and resumed talking smack

SteelerSteve
07-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Imagine how happy the colts fans were until Ben made "the tackle":lol:

steelersgal86
07-08-2007, 08:31 AM
i was at cleve's house and jump off the couch on to the floor couldn't believe it i thought i was going to have a heart attack at the age of 24!

Yeah...I remember that!!! that is not something good to remember but at least the outcome was :tt02::tt02: I think we all called Jerome some bad names...:dunno:

lagers
07-08-2007, 09:46 AM
My mother-in-law, who knows nothing about football was sitting beside me (God knows why) as I felt like I was going to throw up. She didn't grasp the gravity of the situation. I thought I was going to cry. i could have punched something if she wasn't there.

floodcitygirl
07-08-2007, 11:20 AM
I can't say since this is a family site. :cursin: :lol:

Thankfully it worked out the right way though! :tt02:

SteelerSal
07-08-2007, 11:24 AM
My mother-in-law, who knows nothing about football was sitting beside me (God knows why) as I felt like I was going to throw up. She didn't grasp the gravity of the situation. I thought I was going to cry. i could have punched something if she wasn't there.

Is'nt it so annoying when after a Steeler loss or a bad play somebody, who does not understand our "Die Hard" mentality, will say something as stupid as, " It's only a game".:banging:
That makes the loss a whole lot worse when we have thoughts of putting a choke hold on somebody after the game.

SteelerBee43
07-08-2007, 04:59 PM
I cussed:cursin: his *** and even had the dogs tore up cause of all the yelling!We were destined to win:tt02::tt02:

SteelersWoman
07-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Is'nt it so annoying when after a Steeler loss or a bad play somebody, who does not understand our "Die Hard" mentality, will say something as stupid as, " It's only a game".:banging:

I must admit I'm one of those who will say "It's only a game".

I am die hard and drive the three guys in my house (and pretty much everyone else in my general vicinity) crazy because football is almost the only thing I want to talk about, or watch on tv, and I was beyond elated about goin to and winnin the super bowl...but I'm sorry-- there are so many (truly) bad things that happen in our world everyday that I CAN not feel like it's the end of the world to lose a game.

Saddened, yes--devasted, no. Losing a parent or child (or any number of other bad things could/would "devastate" me--there's no WAY I can put losing a game into that same category.

If there are those who can say that losing a game is as bad a thing that's ever happened to them, then they should count themselves very fortunate and I'm happy for them :bigthumb:...but I don't think that since I've had much worse things happen that it makes me "stupid" to be able to put it in perspective :2cents:

SteelerSal
07-08-2007, 08:36 PM
I must admit I'm one of those who will say "It's only a game".

If there are those who can say that losing a game is as bad a thing that's ever happened to them, then they should count themselves very fortunate and I'm happy for them :bigthumb:...but I don't think that since I've had much worse things happen that it makes me "stupid" to be able to put it in perspective :2cents:

Never called these people stupid or was I comparing this to everyday losses in life. I was only stateing that after a game when somebody says, "It's only a game", when all my energy from watching a loss is spent, that this is the last thing that I want to here.
I, like most if us here, am a hard working middle class person that lives for the weekend during football season to watch and cheer the Steelers to victory and use this as an outlet to forget about "everyday life". A loss, to me, drags me thru a bad week of work.:2cents::greengrin:

Steelerlyn
07-08-2007, 10:02 PM
I do not honestly think anyone truly compares losing a game to losing a family member. We win some we lose some, but after every game no matter the outcome we still have our job on Monday, be it school or our careers, we still have our family, we still have our home and after all, that is what we all know that is truly important. Football is the part of our lives that we can look forward to every week, it makes us happy, we have fun and

win or lose we will be a Steeler fan til we die but it is not more important than family, I don't think anyone thinks it is. Now when it is going on.........get the hell out of the way! :lol:

SteelerSal
07-08-2007, 10:41 PM
I do not honestly think anyone truly compares losing a game to losing a family member. We win some we lose some, but after every game no matter the outcome we still have our job on Monday, be it school or our careers, we still have our family, we still have our home and after all, that is what we all know that is truly important. Football is the part of our lives that we can look forward to every week, it makes us happy, we have fun and

win or lose we will be a Steeler fan til we die but it is not more important than family, I don't think anyone thinks it is. Now when it is going on.........get the hell out of the way! :lol:

:plus1::cope::bigthumb:

ARKIESTEEL
07-09-2007, 08:56 AM
I was pouring the victory drinks when it happened I came real close to throwing a bottle out the upstairs window:banging: