PDA

View Full Version : Tonight from England for dinner i had.........

Blitzburghpete
07-03-2007, 12:55 PM
:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stir pot:

Spinach leaves, with pan fried liver, dusted with flour, grilled bacon, and mashed potato, with ketchup on the side.

The way to have this is spinach bit of bacon, bit of liver, on your fork then smear some mash on the end and dip in the ketchup.

Delicious!!!

All washed down with a cheeky fresh Cabernet sauvignon red australian wine called Dream time.

ARKIESTEEL
07-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Thats what you call food over there.....

SteelerDave74
07-03-2007, 03:11 PM
OH Boy!!!
cheeky fresh Cabernet sauvignon red australian wine called Dream time.

I have to try this. How did it really taste, Pete? Sounds to me like, it is bold and tangy.

Blitzburghpete
07-03-2007, 05:01 PM

Yeah i know liver isn't everyones cup of tea, but put it together with the spinach and bacon and soft creamy mash and it's divine!!!! Don't knock it until you tried it. Besides liver is cheap and very very good for you. Not something i cook every week but great with red wine which leads me on to Franco

OH Boy!!!

I have to try this. How did it really taste, Pete? Sounds to me like, it is bold and tangy.

It was full bodied in flavour, but not heavy, hence a bit fresh, something i've never experienced with a red wine before ( hence cheeky ) Had a smooth lovely feeling and went well with the food, especially the liver.
All the full bodied wines i've had before seem heavy. Yes Bold would be a good way of putting it, but a not a tang afterwards just a pleasant woody, smooth, fresh taste.

SteelerDave74
07-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Who developed the wine? Could I get this in the states or do I have to personally show up in Australia and get this wine? I am getting very intrigued to try it. Bold and smooth is nice. Most of the wine I drink has a bit to a sense of tang on the end. I just would like the information off the label and get some of this. It sounds great. I am sure it would compliment steaks and seafood very well since you've had the wine with the liver .

Blitzburghpete
07-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Ok i'll type as much off the label as i can

Dreamtime Reserve 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon, South Eastern Australia.

On the back is the blab about aboriginals and then at the bottom it says

distributed by CDL @uk sw1p 4ny

Thats it i'm afraid, although i found out why it tastes so fresh yet smooth
quote at the bottom of the label

" A surperb Cab Sauvignon, bristling with generous flavours of ripe blackcurrant, blackberry and eucalyptus"

We got this one from a wine company called Laithwaites if they have them over there in the States.

SteelerDave74
07-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks, so much for the info. I am going to research this up. Might have this at the Local Giant Eagle Store, if not, try the State Stores. It sure sounds great. Oh, I see, the blackcurrant, blackberry, and eucalyptus as the ingredient, that explains it big time. It sounds as if it is delicious tasting, I will keep you on tab for this.

DIESELMAN
07-04-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm with you on that bro!! :bigthumb:

Steelerlyn
07-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Your dinner sounds absolutely delicious to me!~ We eat too much red meat, I always forget to buy liver. We used to have it once a week and we need to get back into that habit!~ :)

SteelerBee43
07-04-2007, 03:56 PM
I love everything you mentioned,,,,:stirpot::bigthumb:

Blitzburghpete
07-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Well lets try this one on you lot then.

Tonight for dinner was. wholemeal Spaggeti, mixed with,

Pieces of chicken, ripped sun dried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, roasted pine nuts, black and green olives, a few little cubes of mozzeralla, and with the spagetti, all mixed up with "pesto" ( which is olive oil, pine nuts, and basil put through a food blender into a paste ) dusted over with parmesan, topped with torn basil leaves. Smells and tastes very "bella bella" ( i think thats right )

Washed down with a refreshing but strong Italian Beer at ( Alc 5.1 ) called Peroni ( LOL on the label on the back if anyone can translate it says )

"ha un gusto intenso " which in any language i think you get the picture!!!

So does that make you feel hungry?

DIESELMAN
07-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Your gettin better...lol just mesin with ya, it sounds a whole helluva lot better then liver. :bigthumb:

SteelerDave74
07-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Sounds wholesome and delicious. We had Burgers, Steaks, Brats, everything you can imagine here. Of course, the wine and Arn (Yes, I remember my father) Nothing like an Ice Cold Arn Light for that man.

Blitzburghpete
07-04-2007, 05:41 PM
yeah and the great thing is when the wife asked what's for dinner and i told her what i just wrote she does this. I do not lie!!! I need a camcorder!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwnsZOxjfRQ

:cabbagepatch::cabbagepatch::cabbagepatch:

SteelerDave74
07-04-2007, 05:44 PM
CHECK PLEASE!!! :lol: I would be entirely speechless, Pete.

Blitzburghpete
07-04-2007, 05:57 PM
LOL why do you think my mood icon has never changed from "Yeehaw :lol:"

Anywho there's leftovers if anyones is passing???

DIESELMAN
07-04-2007, 06:37 PM
we should have a "Bom Chicka Wah Wah" mood icon...:lol:

BigDawg22
07-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Doesn't sound to good to me, but I'll try anything once. :bigthumb:

memphissteelergirl
07-05-2007, 02:16 PM
:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stir pot:

Spinach leaves, with pan fried liver, dusted with flour, grilled bacon, and mashed potato, with ketchup on the side.

The way to have this is spinach bit of bacon, bit of liver, on your fork then smear some mash on the end and dip in the ketchup.

Delicious!!!

All washed down with a cheeky fresh Cabernet sauvignon red australian wine called Dream time.

I have to say I have never liked liver...has that icky "gamey" taste. The wine selection does sound a treat, though.

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Pete you did better on the 2nd one.....Try this Big 20oz bone in rib eye twice baked tater loaded with cheese and bacon big loaf garlic bread a 30 pack of bud lite...

PsychoWard
07-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Pete you did better on the 2nd one.....Try this Big 20oz bone in rib eye twice baked tater loaded with cheese and bacon big loaf garlic bread a 30 pack of bud lite...

now thats my kind of meal!!!!

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2007, 02:49 PM

1 point for team USA

Team USA-1

Team England-0

USA! USA! USA! USA!

:nahnah:

steelersgal86
07-05-2007, 03:15 PM

I would have to agree...that does sound better :tt02:

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Who's house? Arkie's house:stirpot::hilarious:

memphissteelergirl
07-05-2007, 03:32 PM

LOL...NOW you're talking! :bigthumb: (except for the Bud Lite part....would prefer a nice red wine)

Blitzburghpete
07-05-2007, 03:38 PM
LOL your a right bunch of heathens aren't you??? LOLOL
Steak steak steak....

Team USA-1

Team England-0
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm kinda outnumbered here aren't I? LOL OK couple of things, you want to talk steak...lets talk steak. Proper steaks.

I've had steak in America, and by crickey it's bloomin good, and everyone i've met i tell them, go to america for steak, you'll never have anything like it in your life. Melts in the mouth, like chocolate ok, with me so far.... stick with it then.

I wallked the inca trail in Peru. I was really ill doing the walk and spent 3 days in the peruvian andes throwing my guts up, doing my best not to be rushed to hospital ( story for another day ) but the last day i made a promise to myself. If i didn't throw up and got back safe i'd find the most expensive resteraunt, and get the biggest steak i could get my hands on. I managed to keep it together and finish the walk. Next day i'm in Cucso, Peru, and walk into a resteraunt there called "Fallen Angel". It's famous in Peru for it's steaks.

I had a salad for starter and rosemary and red wine steak, medium rare, with veg. It was soooo good i ordered another one with chips ( fries for the americans here ). The waiter thought there was something wrong with the first one, on the contrary, everything was so right, and i polished it all off the second included.
My point you think your steaks are good. Pah!! I laugh in the face of your crummy american steaks. Once you've eaten a Peruvian or Argentinian steak reared in the lush hills of the andes, then we will talk properly!! LOL!!! :lol::lol::lol:

As besides
USA 1
England 0 on the receipes maybe.

England 0
USA 1,204,567 on the obsese fatty, choleserol levels.... heheh
you win that one hands down with pleasure!!! LOL

AND Finally, here in Europe we have what we call "american lessons" to help us fit in over there
Here is a hidden camera on one such lesson.
Repeat after me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=305g-wyvC4w

LOLOLOLOOOLOLLLOOOOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOL

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Pete, Being someone who raises there own beef I will put mine up with anything they can muster up anywhere else. I use red wine and rosemary on steaks, but if the steak (beef) was fed right you dont need much more than salt and pepper.

As far as us being fat you got us there, but I have been to England and the folks there dont look a whole lot differnt from the folks here. London had as many Burger Kings and Macdonalds as any where. I recall something about throwing rocks and being raised in a glass house but you know us ol' hillbillys here in Arkansas dont know much.

I like England but liked to starved to death until I got to Scotland them folks eat like we do here and yes I did eat hagus(spl)

So I guess when you have eaten a good ol' Arkiesteel home raise soaked in beer for 24 hrs backyard grilled beef steak
and eat the wifes twice baked tater and had a nice glass of 12 year old bourbon with me then we can talk as you put it proper..........thats an invite Pete

Blitzburghpete
07-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Mate, whilst i've been off this site i found this link to the place i went to in Cusco. I forgot to mention the tables where you eat are bath tubs, with glass over the top, with live fish swimming around underneath. Here's the links with a couple of reveiws

http://www.vivatravelguides.com/south-america/peru/cusco-machu-picchu-the-sacred-valley/cuzco/cusco-restaurants/fallen-angel

LOL :lol::lol::lol:Arkenisteel Your cool!!
Yeah the uk is fast catching up with the Mcdonalds and burger kings thats for sure, but i do my best to eat as healthy as i can. It's sooooo easy to say sod it lets have burger and chips or Pizza so i spend most my time cooking my own stuff to make sure i know what i'm putting in my mouth.
However if i raised my own beef on my own farm like you though mate!!! I'd be having steak every bloody night and cholesterol can go hang!!! You lucky lucky lucky.........

I've also had Argentinain Steaks by an Argenitinan chef in Andorroa of all places, and again awsome...

And also the food here in the UK is absolutely Sh1t, and will happily stand by and not defend that at all. ( in my house it's a different matter though )

AND you!!! Trust the american to go and find hagis and like it!! Do you know whats in it? LOLOLOL. :lol::lol::lol:

and for sure if and when i'm passing arkensas (spl), ( LOL ) i'd love to pop by have a steak and bourbon with ya, and next time your come this way the invite extends to my house with a few proper beers with me and the wife too brother. Be good to natter in person with another fellow steeler fan face to face for a change.

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Hagis sheep stomach stuffed with meat and some type of grain tasted alot like sausage to me. I was pretty well into my cup by the time supper was ready. We had toured Edinburgh castle and came back to the hotel and the wife was tired so she went for a nap and I went to the bar and by the time supper rolled around anything was alright with me

memphissteelergirl
07-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Arkie...you ate haggis!? You are one brave soul!

There is a festival here in Memphis where people of Scottish descent get together to celebrate their clans, and they always have a demonstration about how to make haggis. Well, after seeing that, needless to say I ain't eatin' it! LOL.

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Arkie...you ate haggis!? You are one brave soul!

There is a festival here in Memphis where people of Scottish descent get together to celebrate their clans, and they always have a demonstration about how to make haggis. Well, after seeing that, needless to say I ain't eatin' it! LOL.

I have ate stuff that make that look like a hamburger

Blitzburghpete
07-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Haggis
If i remeber rightly it's Sheeps stomach filled with pork fat, oats, and blood ( or is that black pudding????? ) . mmmmmmmm Eat it once in your life only!! Unfortunately it does taste excellent!!!!

Oh one more thing then Arkiensteel.

Let me have a go and try and get you to like something other than steak?
What else do you like? Gimmi a chance to take something you like ( apart from steak cos the best steaks you just have them as they are ) and i'll come up with a reciepe you should try for it.

Deal?

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Oh one more thing then Arkiensteel.

Let me have a go and try and get you to like something other than steak?
What else do you like? Gimmi a chance to take something you like ( apart from steak cos the best steaks you just have them as they are ) and i'll come up with a reciepe you should try for it.

Deal?

Deal

I like chili
I love pasta like the stuff you talked about in your other post
good bread
just about anything

I love smoked meats and Bar b q

SteelerDave74
07-05-2007, 05:20 PM
I once tried Haggis and let me just say, It was an experience I will totally love to forget. Goodness.

Blitzburghpete
07-05-2007, 05:21 PM
here we go Haggis
1 sheep's stomach, thoroughly cleaned
The liver, heart, and lights (lungs) of the sheep
1 lb Beef suet
2 large Onions
2 tb Salt
1 ts Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 ts Cayenne or red pepper
1/2 ts Allspice
2 lb Dry oatmeal (the old-fashioned, slow-cooking kind)
2-3 cups broth (in which the liver, heart and lights were cooked)

Black Pudding
INGREDIENTS:
1 quart pig's blood
12 ounces bread crumbs
1/2 lb. suet
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 quart milk
1 cup cooked barley
1 cup dry rolled oats
1 ounce ground mint

There we go. sorted

SteelerDave74
07-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Now you are going to have my wife snatch this recipe. Shame on you, my brit brother. BLOODY HELL! She likes it. I hate it.

Blitzburghpete
07-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Deal

I like chili
I love pasta like the stuff you talked about in your other post
good bread
just about anything

I love smoked meats and Bar b q

Ok i got something in mind but crucial point The chilli you like i take it is the vegetable/ fruit chilli, not the mexican chilli mince beef? And you ok with shellfish, seafood? I can think of supurb menu for you if you like chilli, as in flavouring, bread, pasta and seafood?

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Its the mex chilli and I do love shellfish except softshell crab dont like it at all

floodcitygirl
07-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Blitz, Arkie......I'd be happy to eat if either of you want to do the cooking. Love steak.....and the pasta sounds awesome! :yesnod:

Blitzburghpete
07-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Its the mex chilli and I do love shellfish except softshell crab dont like it at all

Oh well i'm gonna do something with chilli the vegetable not the mince ok that you should still like. Bread, pasta and seafood speaks italian to me and i do loads of Italian stuff. My wife has been away this week and this is what i'm cooking her tomorrow and she's been doing the bow chicka bow wow dance for me down he phone!! LOL Anywho. I'm gonna do something really simple that i hope you can get the ingredients for pretty much anywhere

Starter - if you can't get Ciabatta italian bread, good homemade soft bread will do instead, and sometimes even nicer but very simply. Slice of warm not too toasted bread, tear up or slice some mozzeralla on the warm bread, and sprinkle over with some chopped chilli's for some "heat" in the taste, sprinkle some salt, and drizzle over with some olive oil.

Main - This one is one i made up and dead simple and dead easy, and flippin tasty and the wife loves it.

Prawns and muscles in Pete's own white white pasta sauce.

Put prawns ( the bigger the meatier the tastier ) and muscles ( if you can get them New Zeland Green muscles are the best but if not any will do ) in a pan,
If you can't get muscles or prawns, chicken pieces will do but better if shell fish
add a couple of glugs of cream ( 100ml )
add a glass of white wine, or more if you want LOL!!!
simmer for ten minutes reduce by about a 3rd
then add a handful of chopped parsley or basil
add a handfull of grated parmesan cheese, and simmer for 2 mins more.

whlist that has been cooking in another pan you've been boiling pasta, rigatoni or tagetelle is best with this. Spagetti will do. Drain and then mix it all up with the stuff from the pan. sorted easy peasy

BUT

If you really want a taste sensation this sounds soooooo boring and simple but i swear it my current favourite. for 2

1 large head of broccoli
1 tin of tuna
1 teaspoon of garlic
4 anchovy fillets chopped
2 red chillis chopped up
butter, and parmesan.

Chop up the broccoli stems into little bits leaving the flower heads in bite sizes.put into a pan the the stems, heads, garlic, anchovies, chillis and 100g of butter, cook for bout 5 mins or so, then add the tin of tuna and heat for another 5 mins.
In the mean time boil up some pasta. drain and then mix altogether the stuff from the pan, then whilst in the pan altogether, add another few knobs of butter 50g, and a handfull of parmasean, salt and pepper.

Soooo if you like these i do have some more complicated stuff i do and also some wondeful things with tuna steaks, but small steps for now. So what do you think of these?

And guys/girls. Any of you come the UK way let me know OK?

okiesteeler
07-08-2007, 06:44 PM
sounds good, guys! the wife and I don't usually cook like that - 5 kids who are picky most times. :haha: I am not that in to pasta, though, it's a side dish, to me. I am a meat and taters guy. ArkieSteel , I am moving closer your way, need some of that beef you raise!

Blitzburghpete
07-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Ok OK OK I know y'all meat and two veg people out there but the "meatiest" fish i know if you've never tried it is Sea Bass. Apart from being good for you, it's really bloody scrummy.... sooooo here's what i did sat night

Steamed string beans, drizzled with lemon juice and oilve oil
Roasted rosemary potatoes which is new potato's in a slightly oiled pan, sprinkled with rosemary herb, and in the oven for 40 mins or so
halved cherry tomatoes, srinkled with salt and basil leaves,
Grilled sea bass fillets ( just 3-4 mins under a hot grill ) covered with
a spring onion, garlic, caper, mustard, butter homemade sauce.

At then end of the night all the plates were clean!!! So what about that one?

ARKIESTEEL
07-17-2007, 06:17 PM
sounds good, guys! the wife and I don't usually cook like that - 5 kids who are picky most times. :haha: I am not that in to pasta, though, it's a side dish, to me. I am a meat and taters guy. ArkieSteel , I am moving closer your way, need some of that beef you raise!

Where you moving too???

Ok OK OK I know y'all meat and two veg people out there but the "meatiest" fish i know if you've never tried it is Sea Bass. Apart from being good for you, it's really bloody scrummy.... sooooo here's what i did sat night

Roasted rosemary potatoes which is new potato's in a slightly oiled pan, sprinkled with rosemary herb, and in the oven for 40 mins or so

At then end of the night all the plates were clean!!! So what about that one?

Sounds pretty good:clap:

floodcitygirl
07-18-2007, 12:21 AM

At then end of the night all the plates were clean!!! So what about that one?Sounds yummy but "bloody scrummy"????? :dunno::lol: I feel another lesson coming on....... :blah: LOL!

SteelerSteve
07-18-2007, 02:25 AM
Can anyone say BBQ pork ribs? marinated for 24 hrs. and slowly grilled to perfection, they are simply orgasmic!

memphissteelergirl
07-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Can anyone say BBQ pork ribs? marinated for 24 hrs. and slowly grilled to perfection, they are simply orgasmic!

Oh, yes! Yes! Yes! :lol:

Of course, Memphis is the Pork BBQ capital of the universe! LOL There are plenty of places where you can get good 'cue here! And if you are ever here in the spring, you have to make a trip to the Memphis in May World Championship BBQ contest, also known as the "Super Bowl of Swine." :greengrin:

Blitzburghpete
07-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Ok lets try a little american stuff then , i got some loin pork chops in the freezer i need to use, anyone got a good Pork chop marinade i can make?