PDA

View Full Version : Where Are they now? Calvin Sweeny

Deb
06-30-2007, 10:00 AM
LINK (http://news.steelers.com/article/76934/)

Where Are They Now

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2007/05/25/07/Sweeney_Calvin_76866.jpg
CALVIN SWEENEY
Wide Receiver
1980-87
Resides in Los Angeles, California

What is your current job and what does it entail?

Community Relations Manager for West Los Angeles district of UPS. I handle all of the grants to all of the non-profit organizations. I do the sponsorships. I
I handle congressional awareness where I have 12 members that I deal with on public affairs.

Did you get involved in business while you played?

I did a lot of volunteering with organizations during my playing days. I wanted to spend time with family in California after being in Pittsburgh for so many months. I volunteered with the Boys & Girls Club and the YMCA.

What is the fondest memory from your playing career?

My rookie year the team was leaving for a preseason game. I had surgery on my foot and Terry Bradshaw asked me what are you going to do this weekend? I told him I would stay around St. Vincent. He knew my girlfriend was in Arlington, Virginia visiting her parents. He told me to take his car and go see her. I didn't know anything about Arlington and he told me it was just a few hours down the road. He just got a new Lincoln Continental. He gave me the keys and I went to see my girlfriend. That was my first impression. That blew me away. He was such a good guy. Everyone on the team were great guys.

What was your best game?

I don't remember the year, but it was at home against Denver and I caught about 11 balls in that game. It was like everything was in slow motion. I was in that zone and things just clicked.

You caught Terry Bradshaw's final touchdown pass. What is that like?

I didn't know it was his final on then. We set up a play where I lined up close to Bennie Cunningham. Bradshaw came out of the pocket and just jumped and threw it and I caught it. He grabbed his elbow them and tried to shake it off. We went to the sideline and he said I am through, my arm is killing me. We thought it would be a few weeks. Cliff Stoudt came in and played. Next thing I knew Brad said I can't go anymore.

It's an honor because he is one of my dear friends. I treasure that. We had such a good relationship. We started and finished with a good relationship. I still see him when he is in town here.

What did you like most about playing for the Steelers?

I think the Steelers organizations reminds me a lot of my college team, USC. Everyone got along. There were no bad actors. Nobody was out for themselves. It was a team deal. It was like a big family. Everybody in that locker room, even guys who were superstars, were regular every day people. John Stallworth and I are still the closest of friends. Guys like Jim Smith, Mel Blount, and Joe Greene all the way down the line it was a big family.

Teammate who was the biggest character?

We had some nuts. Greg Hawthorne was funny. Sydney Thornton was hilarious. The biggest joker though was Dwight White. He was something else. He is still a character. Every day he had a joke or a line for you.

Do you still keep in touch with former teammates?

I do. I talk to Stallworth, Jim Smith, Bennie Cunningham. I talk to Mel Blount every now and then. I try to reach out to as many people as I can.

Who is the one player you think should definitely be on the 75th season team?

John Stallworth

Do you still follow the Steelers and if so, how closely?

I follow them pretty close. With the Internet and all of this stuff you can see so match. With the NFL Network I can watch them at camp. I go online and see all of the stories. I follow them pretty close. When you come to a team young and stay with them for nine years in that organization that is part of the family.

Iron City South
06-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Sydney Thornton 77'-82' .... wow, I almost forgot about him!

SteelerDave74
06-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Nice read!!!