PDA

View Full Version : NFL Europa Folds

BlackGold4vr
06-29-2007, 06:54 PM
(June 29, 2007) -- The NFL has determined that it will switch the focus of its international business strategy to presenting the NFL to the widest possible global audience, including broader media visibility and the staging of international regular-season games, and will discontinue NFL Europa.

"The time is right to re-focus the NFL's strategy on initiatives with global impact, including worldwide media coverage of our sport and the staging of live regular-season NFL games," commented Mark Waller, senior vice president of NFL International.

"We will continue to build our international fan base by taking advantage of technology and customized digital media that make the NFL more accessible on a global scale than ever before and through the regular-season game experience. NFL Europa has created thousands of passionate fans who have supported that league and our sport for many years and we look forward to building on this foundation as we begin this new phase of our international development."

Last October, NFL owners passed a resolution to stage up to two international regular-season games per season. The new international series will launch on Sunday, October 28 when the Miami Dolphins host the New York Giants at London's Wembley Stadium.

In addition to the 2007 game in the United Kingdom, the NFL is preparing to stage regular-season games in future seasons in Germany, Mexico and Canada, with Germany being a strong candidate to host a regular-season NFL game in 2008.

NFL Europa began in 1991 as the World League of American Football, with 10 teams competing in the United States and Europe. After a two-year hiatus (1993-94) following the 1992 season, the league returned in 1995 as a six-team, all-European venture, with five teams in Germany since 2005, and has existed in that format through its final season in 2007.

How do the rest of you feel about this?

I happen to think this idea sucks! The rest of the world doesn't love American football....we do! The global market is NOT what has made this league successful! Europeans love the "other" football and that is why their league was losing money. American football fans who are crazy for our sport and who have helped it become America's #1 sport are being betrayed by this global sharing idea. These aren't exhibition games they are talking about but REGULAR season games. That means some teams fans are losing one of those 8 home games. If I was a season ticket holder I would be pissed! :cursin:

Steelersfan
06-29-2007, 10:46 PM
I agree with you and don't like the idea. If a city in another country has the fan base to support a team let them earn one like other cities have to.

Prosdo
06-30-2007, 12:13 AM
I don't care if they take preseason games overseas, but don't take regular season games over there. In Pittsburgh the HUGE Steelers fan base has 8 regular season games they can go to. Only 8 for the massive fan base.

Ambridge
06-30-2007, 04:21 AM
My thought is that if the NFL keeps trying to "Force Feed" this notion that they can globalize American football they will Kill the Goose that laid the Golden Egg.
It's the hard core-passionate United States fans that built the NFL into the cash cow that it is now and by getting too greedy with this "expansion" idea will slowly turn the fans away.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I hate the idea too ! The NFL is way too big for it's own good and now it's trying to take over the world and as Ambridge mentioned, force feed it on everybody. If the NFL has fans overseas, and of course it does, and they like NFLE then why let it fold ?! It's a great way for young players on the bubble to get experience and it helps pass the offseason for the rest of us.

We, the fans, made the NFL what it is today..yes us the American fans. We've been following it from the beginning and without our support they wouldn't be where they are today. Broadcast the games overseas, so be it and that's a good idea, but don't start messing with the regular season by making it longer and more of pain in the *** with travel and everything else.

The NFL is in for a big surprise with this if they continue down this road. Play some preseason games there, sure why not, but don't mess with the regular season when so much is at stake. There's only so many games and when you start messing with what got you this far then just for the sake of the almighty dollar it's going to hurt everyone !

Black@Gold Forever32
07-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Well playing regular season games over seas is just crap and I hate it big time....Problem though the game scheduled to play in London sold out quickly so this is only the start of NFL teams giving up a home game.....Maybe us NFL fans need to start writing and flooding the commish with letters on how bad of an idea this is.......

Dako
07-01-2007, 12:57 PM
I can see it now....Superbowl LX from the Coloseum in Rome.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Well playing regular season games over seas is just crap and I hate it big time....Problem though the game scheduled to play in London sold out quickly so this is only the start of NFL teams giving up a home game.....Maybe us NFL fans need to start writing and flooding the commish with letters on how bad of an idea this is.......

We could start an SA petition and send it off to the NFL letting them know how much we hate it.

And you're right Dako, it's not as far fetched as some might feel to think NFL isn't exploring the possibility of an overseas Super Bowl !

What a bunch of **** !