PDA

View Full Version : Fan Walk-out Planned on Saturday

TheSteelMenace
06-19-2007, 06:57 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I posted a message on the espn board about the June 30th Pirate protest and they deleted it. I then went into another thread and posted it as if to hide it and they deleted that thread as well. Why do they care if we exercise our constitutional rights. ESPN is as big of a joke as Pirates Mang. What a bunch of jerks!! Anyway june 30th walk out of the game in the 3RD. Go to iratefans.com

AZ_Steeler
06-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Sounds like a waste of a ticket? :dunno:

TheSteelMenace
06-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Yes, but it is to bring attention to 15 straight years of being under 500 and the lack of ownership doing anything to change it.

Dako
06-19-2007, 10:40 PM
How about on the day of the protest we tie it in with a "refuse to buy gasoline" protest that way we will be sending two messages with one activity.

SteelCityMan786
06-20-2007, 12:16 AM
Yes, but it is to bring attention to 15 straight years of being under 500 and the lack of ownership doing anything to change it.

They sure do nothing.

Stlrs4Life
06-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Being a union man I can totally applaud what you are trying to do. It would and is a tough task to accomplish.If you get at least 500 people to do it, I would call it a small success. But the bottom line, it takes alot more than that. People not going to a game or two, would be a bigger accomplishment. By the way, I think ESPN is wrong for not posting your message.

SteelerFan87
06-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Sounds like a waste of a ticket? :dunno:

And staying for the whole game isn't?

Iron City South
06-29-2007, 12:13 AM
It's about time...:bigthumb: How long has it been now since they've put a competitive team on the field? ......15, 16 years?

:wtf::waiting:

http://kdka.com/sports/local_sto...63648.html

Mass Protest Planned at Pirates’ Game On Saturday

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH Some concerned local Pittsburgh Pirates fans are hoping that their grassroots campaign will spark a change in the team’s front office.

Meeting in front of the Roberto Clemente statue on Federal Street at PNC Park, a small group of supporters gathered to address the media in regards to a planned protest during Saturday night’s game between the Pirates and the Washington Nationals.

The group responsible for the protest, called Fans For Change, was formed by Andrew Chomos, a businessman from Wexford, and Sean Lucas, an MBA student at Duquesne University.

Chomos said that the protest will begin at 6 p.m. by the Clemente statue, where there will be a “Petition for Change” available for signing as well as a number of speakers.

Chomos mentioned that one of the speakers will be a member of the 1971 Pirates team that won the World Series.

He will not be introduced until Saturday.

Chomos said when he spoke to the player about the organization, he “broke down in tears 20 minutes into the conversation” when discussing the Pirates’ current state.

The group has then asked fans who are attending Saturday evening’s game to all stand up and leave their seats at the end of the third inning.

Fans are asked to wear green t-shirts to represent, as Chomos put it, “money leaving the stadium and organization.”

The aim of the protest is to raise public awareness about the financial situation of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The Pirates had the fourth-lowest major league payroll last season, despite being among baseball’s most profitable teams, according to Forbes Magazine’s website.

Once the public has been made aware of this situation, Chomos and Lucas intend to force the Pirates to be held accountable and shake up their operation.

Chomos says that he wants the Pirates to open their books to the public and issue a CPA report.

“When you bring $240 million of state and taxpayer money into a business, you have an obligation to the taxpayers and to the fans,” said Chomos.

Lucas added the Pirates are “an organization with multiple market stakeholders” and are failing in their responsibility to meet their shareholders’ interests.

The group is urging people to stay away from PNC Park despite the allure of fireworks and giveaways.

“Trinkets, bobbleheads, blankets, visors…we’ve got enough [stuff] in our houses guys. We don’t need any more of it,” said Chomos. “Don’t be like sheep led to slaughter. Be bigger than that. Stay away from the trinkets.”

While only a handful of people showed up to the press conference, Chomos stated that there are roughly 8,000 people on the group’s e-mail list.

For those supporters who attended the press conference, their message to the Pirates was clear: the front office should be held responsible.

“They’re making money hand over fist. They’re running it like a business, and they’re not really that concerned with the entertainment value of what they’re putting on the field,” said Tracy Koebnick of Bradford Woods.

Prosdo
06-29-2007, 04:18 AM
I hope a lot of people follow through with this. I don't know how much good it will do, but atleast it sends a message.

memphissteelergirl
06-29-2007, 10:37 AM
It will be very interesting to see how this turns out. I hope it gets the result the organizers are looking for.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-29-2007, 11:47 AM
I'll be interested to watch this and see how many fans actually walk out. If I was a player Im not sure if I'd applaud the fans or be pissed at them :scratch:

The Pirates fans have long supported the team with sub .500 results for so long it's honestly downright pathetic that they end up being the doormat for the league every year.

Iron City South
06-30-2007, 11:55 AM
The REAL interesting thing will be to see if the media (i.e., Sports Center, Papers, etc.) actually cover the story and give the people an update on it and the reasons behind it.

If they don't, you know darn well MLB has a gag order issued ....

manofsteel
06-30-2007, 12:20 PM
I think Espn is jive for not deleting your threads. But I dont know how well this will do. It is to bring attention the !5 years of losing. Dont you think ownership already knows its been !5 years and isnt just as frustated at some other people

Iron City South
06-30-2007, 02:31 PM
I think Espn is jive for not deleting your threads. But I dont know how well this will do. It is to bring attention the !5 years of losing. Dont you think ownership already knows its been !5 years and isnt just as frustated at some other people

I would agree and assume the ownership is frustrated, but if they're one of the most profitable franchises in the league in terms of margins (which they are) and NOT doing anything to convince the fans they're serious about being compeitive and winning .... I think the fanship is correct for showing their dissent.

SteelCityMan786
06-30-2007, 04:58 PM
FSN has stated they will not cover this according to a report on SportsCenter this morning.

steelcurtain09
06-30-2007, 07:22 PM
i dont think it is tht much of a success

im watchin the game and theres only a few people wearin green

BlitzburghRockCity
07-01-2007, 12:48 AM
FSN has stated they will not cover this according to a report on SportsCenter this morning.

Im sure the owners had a talk with all the local media about how much coverage they would give this event if it turned out to be something big.

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Im sure the owners had a talk with all the local media about how much coverage they would give this event if it turned out to be something big.

Reports of 100 to 7000 people were part of the whole protest.

Yeah I think Nuttings did just that.

manofsteel
07-01-2007, 02:23 AM
Well at least they still won cmmon Adam Laroche

Dako
07-01-2007, 11:49 AM
We should plan more of these protests....decent attendance and a win!

steelcurtain09
07-01-2007, 11:58 AM
they showed one of the concourses and there were maybe 100-200 people there
it was only slightly successful if at all

SteelerFan87
07-03-2007, 04:01 PM
I think it was very successful, given the circumstances. While the Pirates made FSN promise not to show the walkout, all that did was entice other local networks like KDKA to put cameras on skyscrapers and helicopters to try to get some footage of the walkout. Plus, they showed quite a bit on SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight. They literally spent more time showing the walkout than they usually do showing Pirates highlights. There were lots of good shots of guys with bags on their heads, Irate Fan T shirts, and signs saying we have the worst owners in MLB.

Sure, the numbers were low, but that's because the Pirates were winning, what, 6-1 in the 3rd? If they had done it the next day instead, when we lost 3-2 and were losing, IIRC, in the 3rd, there probably would have been at least 10,000 people walking out.

I think they definitely need to try this again, preferably when we're playing a better team than the Nationals, that will probably beat us.