PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign draft pick Ryan McBean

AZ_Steeler
06-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Link (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07177/797225-66.stm) to story...

Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have signed rookie defensive end Ryan McBean to a three-year contract.

McBean, from Oklahoma State, was selected by the Steelers in the fourth round of the 2007 draft. He is 6-5, 285 pounds.

He is the third player signed from the 2007 draft. The club also has signed punter Daniel Sepulveda and offensive lineman Cameron Stephenson.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Good news, nice to see us working through these young guys contracts like this. McBean could really be a guy that comes out of nowhere for us as a rookie and makes a nice impact. He needs some polishing and experience but he's got big potential. I'd like to see him put on a bit more weight to get up to maybe 295 or so as long as he doesn't lose his quickness.

ARKIESTEEL
06-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Good news, nice to see us working through these young guys contracts like this. McBean could really be a guy that comes out of nowhere for us as a rookie and makes a nice impact. He needs some polishing and experience but he's got big potential. I'd like to see him put on a bit more weight to get up to maybe 295 or so as long as he doesn't lose his quickness.

Top; he might not need the weight in this new Rover type D we are looking at. just a thought:dunno:

Prosdo
06-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Happy to hear these guys are signed.

AZ_Steeler
06-26-2007, 02:47 PM
They still need to take care of 1-2 and 3... the FO will get it done though :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Top; he might not need the weight in this new Rover type D we are looking at. just a thought:dunno:

Yeah that's a thought, depending on who all they get to play those types of positions like Troy and Brett Keisel will be playing, that's a option too.

25MVPKing
06-26-2007, 06:02 PM
This might be a guy who plays backup for 3 or 4 years then fills in for someone who leaves and doesn't skip a beat. The Steelers have been good about minimizing the impact of losses because of good draft picks that ride the pine, fill in during injuries, and learn alot from the vets for a few years at the beginning of their career. Reloading, not rebuilding.

introyitrust
06-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Good news. He should provide some good depth on the D line.Also the F.O. gotta make sure they get these draft picks signed and into camp on time.
The only one I am kinda worried about is Timmons since he is a first rounder and his agent is Rosenhaus, although he said that he wouldn't holdout.

Iron City South
06-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Camp fodder .... He won't even make the final cut.

manofsteel
06-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Good to see the FO getting these guys signed. They still need 1 2 3 but theyll git it done. I like this guy the Steelers have always done a helluva job finding good talent in later rounds

BB2W
06-27-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm interested to see this guy on the feild... can't wait until preseason. :helmet:

SteelersWoman
06-28-2007, 04:45 AM
Camp fodder .... He won't even make the final cut.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/ryanmcbean.html

Strengths:
Very athletic...Has great quickness and a burst...Has good strength...Stout at the point of attack and holds his ground...Mobile with good range in pursuit...He has a solid motor and is very active...Plays with good leverage...Still has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Needs to get a little bigger and bulk up...Inconsistent and doesn't always play up to his immense talent...Wasn't very productive...Instincts and play recognition are questionable...Does not use his hands well...Raw and far from a finished product.

Notes:
Originally from Jamaica...A junior college transfer who has only played two years of Division I football...Possible 3-technique tackle in a 4-3 scheme or an end in the 3-4...Typical workout warrior who has great physical tools but his play on the field won't always reflect it...Could get drafted much earlier than expected if teams fall in love with his measurables and potential...Is probably a boom or bust prospect.

Hopefully it's the former, rather than the latter :crossfingers:
I'd sure hate to lose that high a draft pick on a "bust"!

BB2W
06-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Camp fodder .... He won't even make the final cut.I don't think so... the Steelers targeted this guy. He has some work to do, but they liked his upside and versatility. I hope Fred Gibson is the final fourth round pick to not make the team. What a waste...