PDA

View Full Version : Chris Benoit, family found dead

Deb
06-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Chris Benoit, family found dead
Written: June 25, 2007

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitdead
World Wrestling Entertainment is deeply saddened to report that today Chris Benoit and his family were found dead in their home. There are no further details at this time, other than the Benoit family residence is currently being investigated by local authorities.

Tonight’s Raw on USA Network will serve as a tribute to Chris Benoit and his family. WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family’s relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Thats just terrible......Very sad very sad....I watched Chris Benoit wrestle back in the day....I'm just shocked....

SteelersfaninPhilly
06-25-2007, 09:24 PM
This sucks, I have good memories of watching benoit wrestle at the old bingo hall in south philly.

AZ_Steeler
06-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Am I reading that right both he and his entire family?? That is really sad :(

Prosdo
06-25-2007, 10:27 PM
That is insane. I enjoyed watching him. Rest in peace.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-25-2007, 10:54 PM
I hate saying this but it sounds he might have killed his family and then took his life....Maybe I'm jumping the gun but there is alot of crazy reports going on at the moment.....

SteelerDave74
06-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Unbelieveably sad story. My thoughts to his family and friends. What a tragedy.

BR7
06-25-2007, 11:53 PM
I'd be shocked as hell if that was the case B@G. I'm thinking maybe CO2 poisioning?

SteelerDave74
06-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Exactly what I was thinking there, BR7. Carbon Monoxide Poisioning. That would be a very tragic conclusion. I think it is a must that everyone have a Carbon Monoxide detector. I have 5 of those in my home.

Steelersfan
06-26-2007, 12:17 AM
It's being called a Double Murder-Suicide right now. This sucks ***!

http://www.wwe.com/

BR7
06-26-2007, 12:23 AM
wow. I just posted my thoughts on the CO2 scenario and just edited it. Damn. Im shocked.

Steelersfan
06-26-2007, 12:28 AM
I was too when I first read it BR7. I always liked Benoit. He wasn't flashy like some but always put on a good match no matter who he wrestled.
Be interesting to see if they find out what really happened and why.

Koopa
06-26-2007, 12:48 AM
i grew up watching him wrestle and i liked him a lot

however, all that is gonna change if this is true about the murder and suicide....... he's a hoe *** bitch if that is true what they are saying on wwe.com

scratch that, now i think it was his wife....... i can't blame a great man

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-26-2007, 12:50 AM
This is nuts... now it's a matter of waiting to see who killed who, then killed them self... crazy world!!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-26-2007, 12:54 AM
My God I remember watching him all the time too, I just can't believe this !!

TEEMONT
06-26-2007, 01:48 AM
possible double murder- suicide.....Beneot is being painted as the killer so far....

Prosdo
06-26-2007, 02:02 AM
If this is true then I am absolutely disgusted. After watching part of the tribute on RAW to him and now hearing he may have killed them how sickening.

TEEMONT
06-26-2007, 02:24 AM
i wont pass judgement till I hear an official police report...they have said that the kid and the wife have been dead all weekend....but who knows

Prosdo
06-26-2007, 03:07 PM
US National News
AP: Benoit Strangled Wife, Smothered Son
By GREG BLUESTEIN, Associated Press Writer

41 minutes ago

In this undated photo released by World Wrestling Entertainment, ...

ATLANTA - Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room, a law enforcement official close to the investigation told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Authorities also said they are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old son. Steroid abuse has been linked to depression, paranoia, and aggressive behavior or angry outbursts known as "roid rage."

"We don't know yet. That's one of the things we'll be looking at," said Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard. He said test results may not be back for weeks.

Autopsies were scheduled Tuesday by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Authorities were investigating the deaths at a secluded Fayette County home as a murder-suicide and were not seeking any suspects. The official who described the manner of death spoke on the condition of anonymity because the information was to be released at a news conference later Tuesday.

Investigators believe Benoit (pronounced ben-WAH) killed his wife, 43-year-old Nancy, and son Daniel during the weekend and then himself Monday. The bodies were found Monday afternoon in three separate rooms of the house, off a gravel road about two miles from the Whitewater Country Club.

Fayette County Coroner C.J. Mowell did not return calls seeking comment. The answering service for his funeral home said he was out of town.

Asked about the condition of the interior of the house, sheriff's Sgt. Keith Whiteside said investigators found "nothing really out of the ordinary." He said Benoit was found in the home's weight room, his wife in an office and the son in an upstairs bedroom.

Neighbors said the Benoits led a low-key lifestyle.

"We would see Chris walking in his yard from time to time. He wasn't rude, but he wasn't really outwardly warm," said Alaina Jones, who lives across the street.

Jimmy Baswell, who was Benoit's driver for more than five years, placed a white wreath at the Benoits' gate. "They always seemed like they were the happiest people," he said.

World Wrestling Entertainment said on its Web site that it asked authorities to check on Benoit and his family after being alerted by friends who received "several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning."

The WWE, based in Stamford, Conn., said authorities asked that it not release further information on the deaths.

Benoit, born in Montreal, was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles. His names in the ring included "The Canadian Crippler."

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the company said in a statement on its Web site.

"He was like a family member to me, and everyone in my family is taking it real hard," said fellow Canadian Bret Hart, a five-time champion with the World Wrestling Federation. The federation has since changed its name to World Wrestling Entertainment.

Benoit had maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling. The Fayette County Tax Assessors Office lists the value of the house, situated on more than 8.5 acres, at nearly $900,000.

The WWE canceled its live "Monday Night RAW" card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

Benoit's wife managed several wrestlers and went by the stage name "Woman." They met when her then-husband drew up a script that had them involved in a relationship as part of a story line on World Championship Wrestling, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Benoit has two other children from a prior relationship.

http://www.comcast.net/news/national/index.jsp?cat=DOMESTIC&fn=/2007/06/26/699582.html&cvqh=itn_wwebenoit

AZ_Steeler
06-26-2007, 03:45 PM
sad sad sad... :smh: :( I couldn't even begin to think about harming my own son or wife in anyway...

Bucsfan4ever
06-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Heard on Tampa TV this AM where the little boy had injection marks on his arms...they were giving him human growth hormones because they thought he was too small!! Many 7 year old boys who are small grow up to be big men...just outrageous.

They also bought the hormones ONLINE so no telling what they contained!

ARKIESTEEL
06-27-2007, 10:59 AM
P O S

steelersgal86
06-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Heard on Tampa TV this AM where the little boy had injection marks on his arms...they were giving him human growth hormones because they thought he was too small!! Many 7 year old boys who are small grow up to be big men...just outrageous.

They also bought the hormones ONLINE so no telling what they contained!

I heard the same thing today...that is just sad....

floodcitygirl
06-27-2007, 11:57 AM
You truly never know what goes on behind closed doors in people's homes. Very sad.....tragic story.

AZ_Steeler
06-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Vince was on another wrestling program last night and they asked him about Benoit and the tribute they played instead of Raw on Monday night... he said had they known what they do now the tribute never would have been aired, but they will never speak of his name again!

dirtybird57
06-27-2007, 02:31 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To all of you that supports Pro Wrestling this is what your "sport" has become ......

FoxSports.com

We all know Professional Wrestling is fake....

The carnage it has left in its wake is not.

Add Chris Benoit to the long list of freakishly muscled carnival attractions for whom a pro wrestling career ended tragically.
Toxicology results are pending and Benoit may well have been battling deeper, more primal personal demons when he reportedly killed his wife and son before taking his own life, but only the most naïve observer could ignore the overwhelming evidence that most wrestlers who look like Benoit have undergone countless cycles of chemical enhancement.
The prescription anabolic steroids found at Benoit's home have long been known to contribute to paranoia, depression and the violent outbursts we've come to know as "roid rage." Couple that with the near-compulsory painkillers a wrestler must take to do his job effectively after enduring countless body slams and you have a cocktail for massive, mind-altering mood swings.
The Benoit story is the latest and most tragic installment in an ongoing saga that the men who get rich promoting professional wrestling would prefer their fans didn't know too much about.

Vince McMahon wants you to think about the stars of today and tomorrow, not the cemetery of steroid-fueled bodies his "sport" has helped put in the ground. But on the grim occasion of the deaths of Nancy and Daniel and Chris Benoit, let's remember some of the other pro wrestlers who died before their time.

Ravishing Rick Rude — Died at 40 of an apparent heart attack in 1999, a bottle of prescription pills for his bad back at his side. The autopsy report said he died of "mixed medications." Rude was an admitted user of anabolic steroids.

Louis Mucciolo, a.k.a, Louie Spicolli — Died in 1998 at age 27 when he suffocated on his own vomit after ingesting massive amounts of Soma and alcohol. Investigators also found an empty vial of testosterone, pain pills and an anti-anxiety drug at the scene.

Brian Pillman — An admitted user of steroids, he died of a heart attack at age 35 in 1997 on the morning of WWF's In Your House: Badd Blood pay-per-view event.

Rick "the Renegade" Williams — Died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at age 33 after being released from his World Championship Wrestling contract in 1999.

"Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig — Found dead of a cocaine overdose at age 44 in his motel room on April 10, 2003, the morning of a match. Hennig's father maintained that steroids and painkillers contributed to his death.

Rodney "Yokozuna" Anoa'i — Died of a heart attack in 2002 at 34.

Davey Boy Smith, "The British Bulldog" — Died of a heart attack at age 39 on May 17, 2002. An autopsy report indicated that past steroid use had likely played a part in his death.

Michael "Road Warrior Hawk" Hegstrand — An admitted steroid user, he died of a heart attack at age 46 in 2003.

Michael Lockwood, "Crash Holly" — In 2003, at the age of 32, he choked to death on his own vomit after ingesting 90 painkiller pills.

Jerry Tuite, "The Wall" a.k.a. "Malice" — Died at age 36 in 2003 of an apparent heart attack in his hotel room.

Raymond "Hercules" Hernandez — Dead of heart failure in 2004 at age 47.

Ray "The Big Boss Man" Traylor — Found dead of a heart attack in 2004 at age 42.

Eddie Guerrero — After a long battle with painkillers, he was found dead of a heart attack by his nephew in his hotel room at age 38. The first person his nephew reportedly called was Guerrero's best friend, Chris Benoit.

Chris Candido — Died in 2005 at age 33 from a blood clot after breaking his tibia and fibula and dislocating his ankle in a pay-per-view event.

Owen Hart — Fell to his death at age 34 in 1999 when the rigging that was lowering him into the ring malfunctioned.

And then there's the story of the Von Erich wrestling family.
Wrestling patriarch Fritz Von Erich, nee Jack Adkisson, had five wrestling sons: Kevin, David, Kerry, Mike and Chris.

David died in a hotel room in Tokyo at the age of 25 in 1984 just as he was embarking on a three-week pro wrestling tour of Japan. The official cause of death was acute enteritis, severe inflammation of the intestines.

Three years later, Mike committed suicide by overdosing on the tranquilizer Placidyl at the age of 23. After David's death, Mike had suffered a series of setbacks including a serious shoulder injury that had left him severely depressed.

Devastated by the deaths of his older brothers and frustrated by his own limitations as a wrestler, the youngest and smallest brother, Chris, shot himself to death at the age of 21 in 1991.

Two years later, Kerry, who had battled a long addiction to painkillers, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at the age of 33, leaving eldest brother Kevin as the only survivor of the sport that had defined his family.

And now Chris Benoit, his wife and son have been added to the long, unbearably sad list of victims claimed, in part, by the brutal chemical calculus that is professional wrestling.

There is no arguing that the physical capabilities of these massive men can provide awesome theater. When Hulk Hogan lifted the 500-pound Andre the Giant and dropped him to the canvas, it was legitimately hugely thrilling.

But keep in mind there is a price these impossibly engorged specimens are paying for your entertainment.
And the price for many of them is their very lives.

introyitrust
06-27-2007, 04:33 PM
This is a horrible story.
I have been a wrestling fan since I was little and I continue to watch it on occassion and when I first heard that he died I was shocked and thought steroids had to play a part (something similar to what happened to Eddie Guerrero). And I initially felt bad for him but now that it's been revealed as a double murder/suicide I have a hard time feeling any sympathy for Chris.
Just a tragic story and prayers go out to his family.

DIESELMAN
06-27-2007, 09:40 PM
These idiots want to off themselves, thats fine by me. To go and kill your own family because of whatever he was on is insane. This should raise a big red flag to everyone who uses that crap. Steroids is for lazy MFers, you get there quick but fall even quicker.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Apparently now there was atleast 1 person who knew about Nancy's death atleast 13 hours before the cops knew because they posted up a wikipedia entry talking about her death. That entry was then taken down, a few hours later an entry from Australia was put up saying the same thing but that one was taken down too.

There's so much more to this than meets the eye :nonod:

SteelersfaninPhilly
06-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Apparently now there was atleast 1 person who knew about Nancy's death atleast 13 hours before the cops knew because they posted up a wikipedia entry talking about her death. That entry was then taken down, a few hours later an entry from Australia was put up saying the same thing but that one was taken down too.

There's so much more to this than meets the eye :nonod:

To add to that. That first posting was done from a stanford ct, (home of wwe) ip address.

SteelerSteve
06-30-2007, 01:46 AM
I hate to break it to pro wrestling fans, but wrestlers are not athletes, there actors!!!