PDA

View Full Version : All time players

Blitzburghpete
06-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Guys i was thinking,
Obviuosly from a Steeler point of view names are gonna come thick and fast, but over the last 30 years how many steelers do you think would or should make an all time team. Ie PLayers that were sooooo good nothing you did about them changed anything.

Players like Lawrence Taylor who redifined the OLB position
Joe Montana - class,
Barry Saunders - words fail.

Do you think any Steeler should or could join this list for players in the last 30 years. I very much doubt there will be anyone from the 80's teams.

To be honest the ONLY two steeler players i think could join them would be
Rod Woodson and Jerome Bettis.

Anyone else?

SteelerDave74
06-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Rod Woodson for sure, I would agree on that. Jerome Bettis, without a question of the doubt. I think Carnell Lake and Yancey Thigpen could be on the honorable mention list. We had some great quality players.

AZ_Steeler
06-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Jack Lambert, Mean Joe Greene...

SteelerDave74
06-25-2007, 12:42 PM
I think I could speak for all of us here and say most of the 70s Dynasty players belong on the list. I have met quite a few of them guys. We are trying to get a couple of old timers to show up for signings at a Car Show in Altoona next month.

Captcoolhand
06-25-2007, 01:00 PM
I think I could speak for all of us here and say most of the 70s Dynasty players belong on the list. I have met quite a few of them guys. We are trying to get a couple of old timers to show up for signings at a Car Show in Altoona next month. Isn't that going to be kinda hard for you to do being that you are going to be out of town. :dunno:

Blitzburghpete
06-25-2007, 02:15 PM
i was trying to do this link without members of the 70's teams but Jack Lambert can sneak in as he played till 84.

Mean joe green did he really define what it was to be DE? Nah i don't think so.

Carnell Lake yes, quality

Yancy thigpen... good but no

My point is that over the last 30 years apart from now

Woodson
Bettis
Lambert
Lake

have we really had outstanding players for postion or have we just had great "teams"

The more indiviual players you can think of the more i will stop thinking we just had great teams.

ARKIESTEEL
06-25-2007, 03:12 PM
I cant think of another WR that blocks like Hines.....as far as tuff centers go #52 Iron Mike Webster would be hard to beat. One of the best pulling centers to ever play the game was Dawson back in the 90's. I think we got a few players on the team right now that are on the verge of being great for their own reason folks like Keisal if this rover DE/LB thing works out and Troy with the rover SS/LB blitz/zone from the middle works.

Just my thoughts

SteelerDave74
06-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Captcoolhand, I meant to say, I am going to be at this car show. The creator is trying to get in touch with a couple of the old timers and seeing if they would like to help out and raise some money for charity. I am from Somerset, but not too far from Altoona. Maybe I didn't comprehend you post right, if not, sincere apologies.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Bettis and Woodson without a doubt would go on that last, I'd also consider putting Hines on that list as well as far as modern day players go. 70's players, well geez you could virtually put any and all of them on their too.

When you sit back and think about those players, it really is staggering how much each of them contributed to the dynasty of that era and how important they really were.

BBC
06-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Mean joe green did he really define what it was to be DE? Nah i don't think so.

Well, since he played DT...

If you don't think he revolutionized defensive tackles, you never saw him play.

He created lining up at an angle in between gaps to take up more players and be more explosive. He was one of the most double/triple teamed players in the history of the NFL. Without him, there would have been no Steel Curtain, he took up two or three guys every play and still managed to put up impressive stats.

Joe Greene deserves to be on this list as much as any other player in NFL history.

manofsteel
06-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Definately Bettis. He was a big guy that had speed and was still pretty agil. I think he would define the Power Back

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Mike Webster comes to mind if you'll let him in I believe he was still playing well into the 80's ... If not then Dermontti Dawson easily fits the bill!!

SteelerSteve
06-30-2007, 01:16 AM
I dont know about you guys, but if Big Ben comes back around(which he will) he will define what future quarterbacks will be, big,agile,strong and can through on the run. A perfect blend of pocket passer/scrambler:2cents:

Blitzburghpete
06-30-2007, 04:02 AM
So

So far

Woodson
Lake
Bettis
Lambert
Webster
D Dawson
J Greene
Troy

Got a nice team here, Do you think Faneca should make this team?
Hines is not here because i don't think he has defined or been that outstanding as a WR. Sure i've never seen a WR block like him or be tough like him, but he's only just scrapping in over the 1000 yards. Steve Smith i think is the model here. No matter how many defenders they put on him he always make catches and yards and it's incredable. He IS the panther pass game but no one can do anything about it.
Jerry Rice and Steve Largent are other trail blazers too. The nearest wr i think to make this list would be Louis Lipps. Singled handedly was the Steelers pass attack during the 80's ( Stallworth was coming to the end of his career ) but unfortunately only had Mark Malone to throw to him!