PDA

View Full Version : As a football fan, do you consider yourself fortunate?

Stairwayto7
06-25-2007, 11:52 AM
I`m 40, and I`ve got to see the best team of all-time in the Steelers of the 70`s. We had Bradshaw, who has 4 rings, Montana, Montana, Nameth and Marino grew up in the Burgh.
We had the Immaculate Reception, and the Tackle.
We had agruably the best LB ever in Jack Lambert.
The Steel Curtain Defense! We have three HOF running backs, Johnson, Harris and Bettis.

And this is just football.

We have also had the great Roberto Clemente, and numerous World Series.

We`ve had two of the best hockey players ever, in Mario, and Jagr, and now a kid named Crosby.

As Pittsburgh fans we are spoiled, and I LOVE IT!

name some more of the best of the best we can take credit for!

SteelerDave74
06-25-2007, 12:15 PM
I am 42, and I can speak for everything you've said, kind sir. Yes, we certainly are spoiled. I am very forunate to witness all four Super Bowl Victories. My Dad could tell you some great stories of the games.

AZ_Steeler
06-25-2007, 12:41 PM
That's it... Rub it in guys!!! ;) I was just a small infant/toddler and don't remember much of the first four Super Bowls, but over the years there have been some pretty good athletes to have played for the surrounding Pittsburgh area or at least come from the area. I think back to the Pirates and when they were actually good, but the Braves were always one step ahead of them.

As for the Steelers though it was rough watching them through the 80's but they still always had those one or two players that really stood out but they never really had the complete package around them. A couple names that stand out are Gary Anderson, Louis Lipps and Rod Woodson... at least 2 of those guys will eventually be in the HOF :dunno:

Prosdo
06-25-2007, 01:33 PM
I am only 20. I have seen the Steelers participate in 2 Super Bowls. For a long time I always heard we got to see 4 Super Bowl wins and it was irritating because my generation didn't have one. But now we do and it is the greatest feeling watching your team win.

PsychoWard
06-25-2007, 01:40 PM
i know a lot of people don't want to hear it but barry bonds!!

SteelerDave74
06-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Oh AZ, thanks for bringing up two good names. Louis Lipps and Gary Anderson. I had the privilege to shake my hands with Gary one night in Pittsburgh at a good dining establishment. He is a very nice gentleman. I absolutely enjoyed watching the Stallworth and Swann combo. You guys need to hear my Father tell you the good stories of the games in the 70s.

TEEMONT
06-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Yeah I would consider myself fortunate.

Stlrs4Life
06-25-2007, 02:56 PM
I`m 40, and I`ve got to see the best team of all-time in the Steelers of the 70`s. We had Bradshaw, who has 4 rings, Montana, Montana, Nameth and Marino grew up in the Burgh.
We had the Immaculate Reception, and the Tackle.
We had agruably the best LB ever in Jack Lambert.
The Steel Curtain Defense! We have three HOF running backs, Johnson, Harris and Bettis.

And this is just football.

We have also had the great Roberto Clemente, and numerous World Series.

We`ve had two of the best hockey players ever, in Mario, and Jagr, and now a kid named Crosby.

As Pittsburgh fans we are spoiled, and I LOVE IT!

Amen!!!!!!!!!!! I feel the same, I am 43. Man, I miss the '70's.

Stairwayto7
06-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Youngsters! Don`t feel left out! Names like Woodson, Bettis, Ward just to name a few. Cowher, Big Ben, Troy.

I guess what I`m saying is, look at a city like cleveland, all they had way, way , way back was Jim Brown, when he wasn`t beating up his seven ex-wives, he was a great running back. but truth be none even fans in thier forties do`nt remember this guy. Then they had to wait for LeBron for thier next big star for the city. We have HOF in almost ever era. Football, Hockey and Baseball. Not to mention our great high school and college traditions.

I cannot answers this, but what franchise besides Pittsburgh, has three starting running backs in the HOF??? Once Bettis gets in anyway, maybe Dallas?

There have been 41 Superbowls!
They Steelers have played in six.
Monatana won four,
Nameth won.
Kelly played in a four
Johnny U won one!
Dan Marino lost to Montana!

17 Superbowls out of 41 with a Pitsburgh connection!

Jokingly we could add Buuby as a two time back up.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-25-2007, 06:30 PM
As Steeler fans we are indeed fortunate, beyond words.

We are fans of a city with multiple professional sports teams and multiple world championships. At any given time throughout the year we can witness some form of professional sports in the city of Pittsburgh and all the history and lure that goes with it. The city and surrounding area has so much to offer to everyone with not only sports but culture as well that are indeed blessed to cheer for a city and it's franchises that give us so many great memories !

BR7
06-25-2007, 07:14 PM
I was born in '71, so anything regarding the 4 in the '70s was only relived via replays, vhs, NFLN, etc. I feel very unfortunate. Not to wish I was older, but to actually enjoy seeing them would be priceless. I can vaugely remember SB IX. I'm not a wanna-be hippy, but my love for muscle cars and the 70's Steelers sometimes makes me wish I was born in the mid to early 50's. Then I'd be primo driving age for the heart of the muscle car era. Oh the GTOs, Chevelles, Boss 'Stangs, Yenko Camaros, Hemi Cudas, Roadrunners etc etc.. and the 70s Steelers. So, sometimes, I feel unfortunate.

DIESELMAN
06-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Yes we as fans should consider ourselves very lucky to have either been born into or chosen such a great sports city to follow. I'm 42 and have witnessed all 6 Super Bowls, I have witnessed the highs and the lows of Steeler football, I wouldn't trade it for anything in this world!!!!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!!
:cope::cope::cope::cope::cope:

Iron City South
06-25-2007, 08:36 PM
[LEFT]Yes we as fans should consider ourselves very lucky to have either been born into or chosen such a great sports city to follow.

Football and Hockey ..... ABSOLUTELY!

Baseball..... not so much :dunno: Although I do remember the Sister Sledge year of '79

Black@Gold Forever32
06-25-2007, 09:27 PM
I wasn't alive for the Steel Curtain era....But I still feel lucky to root for an organization/team like the Pittsburgh Steelers and to be part of the Steelers Nation....

I have a great respect and I'm proud of my family's western PA roots...I'm also very proud that my grandfather George Nicksich played for the Steelers in the early 1950s...One of my favorite things I own is a replica photo of the 1950 Steelers team with my Grandfather on it...Its framed and hanging on my wall.....

Bucsfan4ever
06-25-2007, 09:32 PM
You Steeler fans have such a great history...I remember watching Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann, Franco Harris and so many others.

As a Bucs fan thru all the losing seasons, I was steadfast and when my co-workers, mostly Dolphin fans, laughed at me for being a Bucs fan, I just said, "SOMEDAY"!!! I feel very fortunate to have lived long enough to see them win a Super Bowl...my only regret is that I retired the year before that and didn't get to laugh back at the Dolphin fans!!

BlitzburghNation
06-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Well said cleveland stinks,,,,,,, :bigthumb:

I'm 43 and I remember those awesome games :tt02:

Started getting into NFL when i was around 10,,,,,,,1977 is when i became a steeler faithful :tt02:

So glad i picked the STEELERS when i was growing up :tt02:

Haven't missed a Superbowl in 33 years :cabbagepatch::helmet::helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-25-2007, 10:44 PM
You Steeler fans have such a great history...I remember watching Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann, Franco Harris and so many others.

As a Bucs fan thru all the losing seasons, I was steadfast and when my co-workers, mostly Dolphin fans, laughed at me for being a Bucs fan, I just said, "SOMEDAY"!!! I feel very fortunate to have lived long enough to see them win a Super Bowl...my only regret is that I retired the year before that and didn't get to laugh back at the Dolphin fans!!

That's what being a true fan is all about and any real sports fan can at the very least respect you for being a die hard fan regardless of your team affiliation :yesnod:

BB2W
06-25-2007, 10:50 PM
I live in Bengalville, so I'm definitely greatfull I'm a fan of a consistantly competitive team. :helmet:

Ambridge
06-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Don't forget other Pittsburgh native football greats

Tony Dorsett
Mike Ditka
Jason Taylor
Curtis Martin
Jimbo Covert
Kevin Barlowe :nono::greengrin:

The Pittsburgh area is second to none in its football heritage and legacy.

introyitrust
06-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Well I am 20 years old so I missed the glory days of the Steelers but I think I am very fortunate to be a Steeler fan.
I am glad that I didn't let some of my relatives brain wash me into becoming a Cowboy or Browns fan as I was growing up.
As far as other sports the only other Pitt team I follow is the Penguins. And they have an extremely bright future with Crosby and Co.

manofsteel
06-28-2007, 02:06 PM
We are spoiled as fans and I love it too. I used to get mad when my dad would tell me stories about the Steel Curtain and the glory days but I dont get upset. We are still watching history right now as we speak. Troy, Ben, Bettis, Ward, We watched Woodson, Lake, Lloyd, Green, Couch Chin. But to name others that we claim from sports, how about Ronnie Francis, Honus Wagner, Ralph Kiner, Larry Fitz played at Pitt, and the likes of Jason Bay.

SteelersWoman
06-28-2007, 04:47 PM
There are only two--count them, TWO other teams who've won as many Super Bowls as we have. I consider myself VERY fortunate to root for a team with such a rich tradition and history--so many pro-bowlers, HOFers...

RckyMtnStlrFan
06-29-2007, 12:45 AM

Never forget Jack Ham! 11 seasons, 25 1/2 sacks, 21 fumble recoveries, 32 interceptions, eight straight pro bowls and HOF'er. He was a beast and kind of takes a back seat to Lamberts popularity. When I hear people talk of the Steelers of the 70's I always hear the names Bradshaw, Greene, Harris, Lambert, etc. And for good reason! But I rarely hear people mention Ham. That's actually the reason for my Av.:tt02:

Prosdo
06-29-2007, 05:28 AM
There are many great Pittsburgh sports moments upon us. I would just like to see the Pirates have a good team in my lifetime.

Stairwayto7
06-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Never forget Jack Ham! 11 seasons, 25 1/2 sacks, 21 fumble recoveries, 32 interceptions, eight straight pro bowls and HOF'er. He was a beast and kind of takes a back seat to Lamberts popularity. When I hear people talk of the Steelers of the 70's I always hear the names Bradshaw, Greene, Harris, Lambert, etc. And for good reason! But I rarely hear people mention Ham. That's actually the reason for my Av.:tt02:

Jack was not forgotten. As great as he was, its difficult mentioning him in the top LB`s ever in NFL history. Although he is a great HOF, but with names like Lambert, Ditka, Taylor, Singletary. Its a tough crowd

TampaSteelGirl
06-29-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm 38 and remember greats like Sugar Ray Leonard and loved the Stabaugh (sp?)-Bradshaw rilvary. I loved Mean Joe Green. I like the sports more now because I appreciate them more than when I was younger although every Sunday and holiday Steeler football games were on! :tt02:

TEEMONT
06-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Jack was not forgotten. As great as he was, its difficult mentioning him in the top LB`s ever in NFL history. Although he is a great HOF, but with names like Lambert, Ditka, Taylor, Singletary. Its a tough crowd

Ditka played tight end.....maybe you meant Butkus.

Stairwayto7
06-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Ditka played tight end.....maybe you meant Butkus.

Thank You, You are correct

BBC
06-29-2007, 08:53 PM
I am 42, and I can speak for everything you've said, kind sir. Yes, we certainly are spoiled. I am very forunate to witness all four Super Bowl Victories. My Dad could tell you some great stories of the games.

Five now ;)

I feel even more fortunate to have grown up in Pittsburgh during the 70's than being a fan of Pittsburgh teams. Watching and hearing about guys like Marino is great, but actually playing with (on high school all star teams) and against him (in college) trounces it.

As for Steelers greats, Mel Blount has got to be mentioned. He was the guy I tried to mold my game to be like when I was growing up. The league even had to make a rule in an attempt to neutralize him (and they failed). He represents everything that used to be good in football.

SteelerDave74
06-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Five is right. Thank you. Senior moment, in my opinion or in my case, one too many of a tipsy wine. Laughing.

Oh yes, thanks for mentioning Mel Blount. What a player. Ray Mansfield, Mike Webster, and some of the less mentioned guys need to be brought up. My dad loves Webster, and it really hit him hard when he passed on. I never seen my dad cry as hard as he did. Mike was a great person.

Koopa
06-29-2007, 10:10 PM
i've only witnessed one super bowl with the steelers

but overall as a sports fan i guess i can say yeah i am

i've been a spurs fan all my life, i witnessed david robinsons whole career, well most of it, i was 5 when he first came into the league so i can't say i remember every single thing about him then, but i saw him through all of his prime years lol, but he never got it done, and then i've seen the whole career of tim duncan and finally got it done for david, and now i've witnessed 4 championships

i don't know how you ppl that grew up in the 70s could take this long *** drought, cause i've witnessed 4 and i'm itching for another one right now lol, i don't think i could take 20+ years without a championship

baseball i haven't been very lucky cause the astros usually choke in the big games of the playoffs, we finally won the nl a couple of years ago and then got swept in the world series, but i've got to see Craig Biggio for most of his career, and jeff bagwell, they ain't super great players, but they are astro royalty lol

so yeah i'm a fortunate sports fan, sometimes it makes me seem like a front runner, but i'd be cheering for these teams regardless

SteelerSteve
06-30-2007, 02:08 AM
I am only 19, but I do remember the 95 superbowl. To be honest though when I was a little kid I liked the 49ers, mostly because Steve Young and I had the same name:lol: I really actually just started getting into the NFL the year we won the superbowl in the 2005 season, me and my buddy would bet on the games and every Steelers game I watched I kept realizing that there was something special about this team. By the time the playoffs came around I was hooked, and I was officially a die hard fan, and one of my fondest memories that I think I will ever have is the playoff win over the colts, and I had a bet with one of my friends that if our team won, they would have to admit that the others team was superior. What a gut wrenching game!! I knew after that season I would always be a steelers fan, even if they go 0-16:greengrin::tt02: