PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so, Bill ... How dare Cowher talk to Cleveland

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Say it ain't so, Bill ... How dare Cowher talk to Cleveland

Sunday, June 24, 2007
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The story was bizarre, the reaction to it almost laughable. An Internet site reported last week that Bill Cowher has had secret talks with officials from the Washington Redskins, Carolina Panthers and Cleveland Browns to explore a possible return to coaching in 2008. You would have thought the world was ending, to listen to the talk shows and saloon conversations around here. How dare he? The nerve of the man. The Browns?

Get over it, Pittsburgh.

Cowher owes you nothing. He owes the Steelers nothing. What? You thought he wasn't going to coach again? You're naive and foolish. Darn right he's going to coach again, sooner rather than later.

And why not Cleveland?

In a lot of ways, Cleveland is the perfect fit.

That isn't to say Cowher has talked to the Browns. It's hard to believe he or his agent has spoken to any of the teams. He's too big in the game to have to sneak around to find out what's going on. He should have too much respect for the coaches of those teams to do that. Maybe he hasn't been in the position of the Redskins' Joe Gibbs, 66, a Hall of Famer who probably will retire for good after the coming season. But he has been in the shoes of the Browns' Romeo Crennel and the Panthers' John Fox. He, too, was a coach under fire during the '98, '99 and '00 seasons when the Steelers failed to make the playoffs and he was fortunate the Rooneys picked him over player personnel man Tom Donahoe in their little power struggle. He wouldn't have appreciated another coach sniffing around for his job then, would he?

When the time comes, almost certainly after this season, Cowher won't need long to find the right team. He figures to go to the highest bidder, the owner that's willing to pay him $8 million per year or more. Why not? This is America, right?

Cowher still would be coaching the Steelers if the Rooneys had come up with the jack. Forget the party line that he wanted to spend more time with his family in North Carolina. He won a Super Bowl and was insulted the team didn't offer him more in a contract extension. That's his right. It's also the right of the Rooneys, who don't overpay for anyone.

Neither side owes the other anything. Cowher gave the Steelers 15 great years. The team compensated him well. If anything, Cowher did the Rooneys a favor by not insisting on coming back as a lame-duck coach this season in the final year of his contract, which would have been a bad situation for everyone. He chose to walk away from about $4 million and sit out the season, not just setting himself up to become an in-demand free agent in January, but enabling the Steelers to get on to the Mike Tomlin era.

And now you want to begrudge Cowher taking his next job?

Wasn't it just a few years ago that so many of us thought he couldn't win the big game and would have loved for him to leave?

Even for Cleveland?

Any number of NFL teams could take a run at Cowher. It wouldn't surprise anyone if Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones fired Wade Phillips after just one season to make a pitch for him. Patience is running thin with New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin. The same is true with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Jon Gruden.

But the Panthers, Redskins and Browns probably make the most sense.

At least the Browns make sense.

Carolina would be convenient for Cowher because of his new mansion in Raleigh, but Fox might not be going anywhere. His five seasons with the Panthers have gone like this: 7-9, Super Bowl, 7-9, NFC championship game, 8-8. Do you see a trend? Fox and the Panthers are on schedule to have a big year.

Washington probably could pay Cowher the most, but does he really want to work for Dan Snyder? Talk about a culture shock after working for the ultra-supportive, ultra-patient Rooneys. Snyder has had five coaches since buying the Redskins in '99, Marty Schottenheimer among them for the '01 season. Do you think Schottenheimer might have a word or two of advice for his good pal, Cowher, about the job? You know, like, run the other way.

Cleveland really might be the best fit for Cowher. He was a Brown long before he was a Steeler, playing for the Browns from '80-82 and coaching them from '85-88. Cleveland fans would love to see him as their coach. They aren't as fortunate as you to be living here. Certainly, they don't know what it's like to experience a championship team. It's not hard to imagine Cowher getting it done for them, doing with Brady Quinn there what he did with Ben Roethlisberger here.

Terrifying?

Get over it.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-24-2007, 04:33 PM
I said this from day 1 after he retired that don't be surprised to see BC coach in stainville in 2008. Romeo is on his last chance with the team right now and they would just love to have a coach like Cowher come to that team. It's almost an identical situation in terms of the atmosphere, the fans, the same type of divisional work ethic and football stance, etc.

I'd love to kick his *** twice a year so go ahead Cowher, take the Browns job, we'd love to "greet" you every season with a good *** kicking !

TEEMONT
06-24-2007, 04:37 PM
I could care less where he coaches, he won't have a situation in Cleveland like he did in Pittsburgh.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-24-2007, 05:00 PM
I could careless if Cowher coaches again and if he coaches the Browns....I think he will be back next year.....Its been reported he wants total control...He will fail if he has total control....Plus whatever team that does hire better get ready to choke in conference title games......lol

SteelersfaninPhilly
06-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Talks have been on going.

SteelerDave74
06-24-2007, 06:21 PM
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Cowher talking to Cleveland is a very interesting. My initial thoughts had Cowher taking over Carolina in case John Fox got fired. Like someone pointed out, I wouldn't mind Cowher being in Cleveland, gives us two reasons to look forward to seeing him. I know it would be kind of weird to see him coaching a rival.

manofsteel
06-24-2007, 06:45 PM
They are totally right. We all knew that BC was going to coach again. You know the Rooneys were not gonna stack another contract for him. He loves the game of football too much not to coach again. I like Bill and he did a helluva job being a head coach. He will go to the highst bidder. If you think thats Cleveland its not. I wouldnt be suprised to see Bill in Dallas next year. They have the money readily available. If Cowher goes to Cleveland I will hate him. NOT beacuase hes coaching another team or that its a team in our division its just simply because I Hate Cleveland. That being said good luck Coach

Prosdo
06-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Damn Bill, why tarnish your career by going to that hell hole.

kgreen
06-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Woops. I said I wouldn't be on here until the season started, but I couldn't resist. I say this is retarded. Why Cleveland? I mean sure, he started there, but that is like kissing the next door neighbor that pisses you off everyday! I know most of you don't care, but I have a thing towards former coaches/players going to rival teams. This is BS, Bill don't do it! I'd rather see you in Carolina or Washing-----wait no Dan Snyder is gay go to San Diego. Norv Turner sucks.

Koopa
06-24-2007, 11:09 PM
i can't wait for cowher to coach again, it's gonna be fun seeing him fail, it was depressing seeing him fail year after year here cause the steelers are my favorite team, but now i can enjoy watching him flop every year........ he was lucky to have good owners that were to lazy to fire him when they should've........ once he starts coaching, his career will be tarnished cause he isn't a good coach, maybe he should go to arizona so whiz can make him look like he knows what he's doing lol

tonyromo9
06-24-2007, 11:13 PM
thats very interesting. wonder what he sees in Cleavland. he must be a little sick LOL

Iron City South
06-25-2007, 12:01 AM
thats very interesting. wonder what he sees in Cleavland LOL

$$$$$$$$$

http://www.church-of-texas-holdem.com/images/pileofcash.jpg

Let'em go ..... We all know how he manages a game with a 3 point lead. :hilarious:

SteelerDave74
06-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Well, Iron City certainly explained the ordeal. A picture is definitely worth a thousand words moretheless.

tonyromo9
06-25-2007, 01:05 AM
lol yeah thats true didn't think of that money is a major motivator

BlitzburghRockCity
06-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Woops. I said I wouldn't be on here until the season started, but I couldn't resist. I say this is retarded. Why Cleveland? I mean sure, he started there, but that is like kissing the next door neighbor that pisses you off everyday! I know most of you don't care, but I have a thing towards former coaches/players going to rival teams. This is BS, Bill don't do it! I'd rather see you in Carolina or Washing-----wait no Dan Snyder is gay go to San Diego. Norv Turner sucks.

Honestly I hate seeing any former Steeler in an AFCN rival uniform, and that would include Cowher as well. At the same time though, the dude is going to move on and since he has ties to Cleveland just like he did with western PA it would be a logical choice for him. Plus you know the Clowns are dumb enough to give him full control too !

SteelerSteve
06-25-2007, 02:55 AM
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Cowher talking to Cleveland is a very interesting. My initial thoughts had Cowher taking over Carolina in case John Fox got fired. Like someone pointed out, I wouldn't mind Cowher being in Cleveland, gives us two reasons to look forward to seeing him. I know it would be kind of weird to see him coaching a rival.
:lol: The thought of the "chin" on the brownies sidelines does amuse me though!

steelersgal86
06-25-2007, 07:37 AM
I said this from day 1 after he retired that don't be surprised to see BC coach in stainville in 2008. Romeo is on his last chance with the team right now and they would just love to have a coach like Cowher come to that team. It's almost an identical situation in terms of the atmosphere, the fans, the same type of divisional work ethic and football stance, etc.

I'd love to kick his *** twice a year so go ahead Cowher, take the Browns job, we'd love to "greet" you every season with a good *** kicking !

I would have to agree...the *** kicking part would be priceless...:yesnod:

Stairwayto7
06-25-2007, 11:45 AM
I could careless where he goes. BUT, he should not go to a rival team, that would be kind of a slap in the face to the Rooneys, he stayed with him when other teams would have given up! Even in some Steelers sites, fans had given up on him. Take the Carolina job, stay close to home!

dick rasile
06-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Say it ain't so, Bill ... How dare Cowher talk to Cleveland

Sunday, June 24, 2007
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The story was bizarre, the reaction to it almost laughable. An Internet site reported last week that Bill Cowher has had secret talks with officials from the Washington Redskins, Carolina Panthers and Cleveland Browns to explore a possible return to coaching in 2008. You would have thought the world was ending, to listen to the talk shows and saloon conversations around here. How dare he? The nerve of the man. The Browns?

Get over it, Pittsburgh.

Cowher owes you nothing. He owes the Steelers nothing. What? You thought he wasn't going to coach again? You're naive and foolish. Darn right he's going to coach again, sooner rather than later.

And why not Cleveland?

In a lot of ways, Cleveland is the perfect fit.

That isn't to say Cowher has talked to the Browns. It's hard to believe he or his agent has spoken to any of the teams. He's too big in the game to have to sneak around to find out what's going on. He should have too much respect for the coaches of those teams to do that. Maybe he hasn't been in the position of the Redskins' Joe Gibbs, 66, a Hall of Famer who probably will retire for good after the coming season. But he has been in the shoes of the Browns' Romeo Crennel and the Panthers' John Fox. He, too, was a coach under fire during the '98, '99 and '00 seasons when the Steelers failed to make the playoffs and he was fortunate the Rooneys picked him over player personnel man Tom Donahoe in their little power struggle. He wouldn't have appreciated another coach sniffing around for his job then, would he?

When the time comes, almost certainly after this season, Cowher won't need long to find the right team. He figures to go to the highest bidder, the owner that's willing to pay him $8 million per year or more. Why not? This is America, right?

Cowher still would be coaching the Steelers if the Rooneys had come up with the jack. Forget the party line that he wanted to spend more time with his family in North Carolina. He won a Super Bowl and was insulted the team didn't offer him more in a contract extension. That's his right. It's also the right of the Rooneys, who don't overpay for anyone.

Neither side owes the other anything. Cowher gave the Steelers 15 great years. The team compensated him well. If anything, Cowher did the Rooneys a favor by not insisting on coming back as a lame-duck coach this season in the final year of his contract, which would have been a bad situation for everyone. He chose to walk away from about $4 million and sit out the season, not just setting himself up to become an in-demand free agent in January, but enabling the Steelers to get on to the Mike Tomlin era.

And now you want to begrudge Cowher taking his next job?

Wasn't it just a few years ago that so many of us thought he couldn't win the big game and would have loved for him to leave?

Even for Cleveland?

Any number of NFL teams could take a run at Cowher. It wouldn't surprise anyone if Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones fired Wade Phillips after just one season to make a pitch for him. Patience is running thin with New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin. The same is true with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Jon Gruden.

But the Panthers, Redskins and Browns probably make the most sense.

At least the Browns make sense.

Carolina would be convenient for Cowher because of his new mansion in Raleigh, but Fox might not be going anywhere. His five seasons with the Panthers have gone like this: 7-9, Super Bowl, 7-9, NFC championship game, 8-8. Do you see a trend? Fox and the Panthers are on schedule to have a big year.

Washington probably could pay Cowher the most, but does he really want to work for Dan Snyder? Talk about a culture shock after working for the ultra-supportive, ultra-patient Rooneys. Snyder has had five coaches since buying the Redskins in '99, Marty Schottenheimer among them for the '01 season. Do you think Schottenheimer might have a word or two of advice for his good pal, Cowher, about the job? You know, like, run the other way.

Cleveland really might be the best fit for Cowher. He was a Brown long before he was a Steeler, playing for the Browns from '80-82 and coaching them from '85-88. Cleveland fans would love to see him as their coach. They aren't as fortunate as you to be living here. Certainly, they don't know what it's like to experience a championship team. It's not hard to imagine Cowher getting it done for them, doing with Brady Quinn there what he did with Ben Roethlisberger here.

Terrifying?

Get over it.

Bill Cowher may have shown some moments of being brainless but I don't believe that he's a FOOL. Have you spent any real time looking at the list of head and assistant coaches that the Browns have a way of screwing up. How about the draft picks that amounted to, well nothing. How about a veteran quarterback that seemed to be over then hill then in the next year he saved the Eagles season. The Browns have a way of screwing up and anyone that chooses to go that way needs a medical examination first.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-25-2007, 09:04 PM
I could careless where he goes. BUT, he should not go to a rival team, that would be kind of a slap in the face to the Rooneys, he stayed with him when other teams would have given up! Even in some Steelers sites, fans had given up on him. Take the Carolina job, stay close to home!

Shortly after he retired he did some interviews where he said that he doesn't want to coach anywhere near where he lives since that is his "safe haven" away from football.

If nothing else, the NFL has shown us that players and coaches have no loyalties anymore or atleast very few of them do so him going somewhere else even to a rival is a real possibility no matter how much we hate it :(

Revenge will be sweet though :reddevil:

TampaSteelGirl
06-26-2007, 04:35 PM
I knew he'd coach again, its a shame it's not for us but I don't blame him a bit.I do feel he was worth the money but I wish him luck. Hate seeing him with the clowns!!!!

BLACKNGOLD4LIFE
06-26-2007, 07:42 PM
i hope an pray that b c comes 2 the mistake by the lake n 2008, i agree with the cat who posted earlyier that it would b nice 4 the steelers 2 kick b c azz 2x an year b c was just an good coach, mike tomlin will make us 4 get about bill real soon, hell i was ready 4 bill 2 come 2 cle back n 99, i live n this hell hole called browns town, the team sucks, the players sucks, the state sucks,and the fans speaks 4 themselves lol, the only problem i have with it is it was reported that bc will try 2 take kevin colbert with him i heard on one of the sports shows, i hope that doesn't happens......................steelers nation it's time 2 move on f---- bill coward here's 2 mike tomlin an the new an IMPROVED STEELERS.................HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ambridge
06-26-2007, 07:45 PM
The more I think about it I believe the more likely choices for Cowher would be Washington or Carolina.

Dan Snyder could throw enough cash at Cowher to dry up all the spittle in his mouth.........and Carolina would be the most likely to give Cowher most of the control he might want from an organization. Plus both franchises aren't terribly far from his new home.

The only down-turn for Ole Billy is that he wont get half the patience from the ownership that he got from the Rooney's if he doesn't produce and win.

MaineofSteel
08-21-2007, 11:48 PM
I think BC goes to the Giants. They've had / have little success or loveloss for current coach and staff, the "family" owns the business, and it's a big market with deep pockets, not all that far from North Carolina .......

I'm ok with this .... NFC, away from Black and Gold circles .... But if he does end up in Clownville, then TOP GUN is so right , twice a year, pound him mercilessly, make him, twice a year, ask himself if the money was worth it and go the way of his mentor "Martyball", bitter and rejected.

MoS

KSSteelerfan
08-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Any where but the Cleveland Clowns for crying out loud. Bill, what are you thinking man. If this turns out to be true I vote to send Steely McBeam to Cleveland to be their official mascot. He can stand right beside Bill on the sideline and mimic Bill's every move. The chin and the mini-me Chin.

Friday133
08-22-2007, 12:26 AM
KDKA had an exclusive interview with Cowher tonight on the 11pm news, in fact that was their first story. Bottom line for those that still care to follow Cowher, he's enjoying the off season, he's glad he's not involved in any camps, he's golfing, learning to play the piano and spending time with his family. He claims he doesn't miss coaching and said he doesn't want to get back into it. FWIW, I'd wait to see how much money gets tossed his way, I bet his mind would change pretty quickly.

Mike Tomlin
08-22-2007, 01:12 AM
The guy needed a new start just like the team did. I mean 15 years of the exact same thing bores people. When he's on the other side of the field and sees that black and gold it's gone make his stomach turn.

K Train
08-22-2007, 05:32 PM
i would love to see him fail in cleveland

steelcurtain09
08-22-2007, 05:50 PM
for one thing i know hes not going to Washington

Gregg Williams (Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Coach) is the heir apparent
he has been groomed to take over the job from Joe Gibbs since he hired him when he returned to the league
Snyder knows he can control Williams while Cowher has already stated that he wants total control. i dont see Snyder givin up control just when he was about to gain it back from Gibbs
even wit Snyders impatience i dont think he will let all tht work go to waste

steelersgal86
08-22-2007, 05:59 PM
i would love to see him fail in cleveland

:iagree:

Stlrs4Life
08-22-2007, 06:43 PM
He had another interview with KDKA yesterday and stated that he is not planning on coaching again for awhile.

http://kdka.com/sports/local_story_233235712.html

Bill Cowher Addresses Rumors About His Future

(KDKA) NEW YORK Ever since Bill Cowher resigned from his post as head coach of the Steelers, the rumor mill has been working in overdrive about his plans.

Some reports speculated he would sit out for a year and coach another NFL team like the Cleveland Browns or the Dallas Cowboys. Others pegged Cowher to coach a college program.

But in an exclusive one-on-one interview with KDKA’s Mike Zappone, Cowher, now an NFL analyst for CBS Sports, says none of it is true.

“I don’t plan on coaching. Contrary to all the reports that are out there, hopefully this will be something I will enjoy doing here with CBS,” he tells KDKA.

Meantime, Cowher says he’s enjoying playing golf, learning the piano and spending time with his family.

For some reason I can't view the videos on KDKA for some reason.

Watch KDKA-TV News at 5 to hear more from Bill Cowher

me24503
08-22-2007, 07:33 PM
See, I guess my thing is, I'm more concerned about whether my socks match in the morning than where Bill Cowher draws a paycheck.

Whoooo....Bill Cowher might eventually take another coaching job. So flippin' what? We have Tomlin, who honestly reminds me more of a Ditka/Gruden style coach than Cowher, and in my mind has a better chance of being great anyway. Not to be niave, I know the honeymoon is still going on, but the way Coach T has established a more physical tone in camp, coupled with he and Arians demanding more from the illustrious field general that is Ben Rothlisberger, I believe we can expect more from Mike Tomlin than Cowher.

See ya later, Bill, hope that house in NC is nice, hope your family excels in all that they do. Thankz for the years of great football. But, Steeler Nation, its time to move to even greater things.

Later Folks,
Michael, the Virginia Yinzer

GoBenGo
08-22-2007, 07:52 PM
:tt02: Personally I like stability. One of my proudest stats as a Blackngolder is our coaching history. I want MT to be last coach I know to coach the steelers, ( wanted BC and :hail:CN to be also btw), so I need to believe this is the beginning of the next dynasty:crossfingers:.

I felt the same way when BC signed on.

Black, black , black, Black-n-GOLD:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

digdug
08-22-2007, 08:08 PM
I know BC (bobble-chin, Billy Cowhard, take your pick) wasn't the smartest coach, or the best game manager (see Marty Schottenheimer) but he was one of the fieriest I have seen. Unfortunately, that's what Clownland needs (other than a swift kick in the ***). I thought that all that Brown had been displaced by Black and Gold, and lets hope so. But, then again, I would love to see Coach T cold muggin' down BC across the field twice a year as the Steelers stomp the Clowns!:tt02::brownssuck::towelwave::towelwave:

me24503
08-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Digdug,

I held off judgement until I saw the Skins game. Being at FedEx, and then having watched the NFL Network tape delay, I have to say that the TV didn't give justice to the intensity on the Pittsburgh sideline. While there is plenty to improve on Coach T is inspiring the men wearing Black and Gold. As much as the score didn't reveal it, mark my words, the Steel City is in for one hell of a ride!:tt02::helmet::cope:

Michael, the Virginia Yinzer

BlitzburghRockCity
08-22-2007, 10:35 PM
When's the last time you saw a Steeler team excited about a preseason game? Sure some of it has to do with a new coach in town but Tomlin makes the guys work hard and earn their position so they need to be ready and firing on all cylinders at every chance they get to impress the coaches. That's a breath of fresh air that we haven't seen in quite a while.

KSSteelerfan
08-23-2007, 12:14 AM
When's the last time you saw a Steeler team excited about a preseason game? Sure some of it has to do with a new coach in town but Tomlin makes the guys work hard and earn their position so they need to be ready and firing on all cylinders at every chance they get to impress the coaches. That's a breath of fresh air that we haven't seen in quite a while.

Agreed!!!!!!!:tt02::tt02::tt02: