PDA

View Full Version : The next Woodson ?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-24-2007, 01:48 PM
I think it was Steelersfan that mentioned in another thread about Woodson and it got me thinking as well. Rod was the ultimate CB, he could tackle, pass defense, run with any WR in the game, go up and play run support, rush the QB, the guy did it all and we were a better defense with him on our team.

Since then though there hasn't been any Steelers CB that's been as good as he was, and considering the dude is a sure fire HOF'r and one of a kind, it's no wonder. At this piont though is there a Steeler DB right now that could be the next Woodson for us ?

Ike Taylor has all the physical tools but this year will go a long way to determining what kind of NFL career he'll really have. McFadden has a lot of potential too but like Taylor he needs to get more consistent.

Just my :2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Top.....I don't think we will never see another Rod Woodson ever again....The guy could cover and support the run....He was an all around great corner.....Were alot of great cover corners in the last 15 or so years couldn't really support the run....Plus Rod was a ballhawk.....Plus lets not forget he was a great punt/kick returner.....He was one of the those special players that only comes around so often.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-24-2007, 02:05 PM
That's quite possible that we'll indeed never see or atleast not for a very long time, another one like him. He was truly amazing ! Plus remember when he tore his ACL at TRS when chasing Barry Sanders, and still made it back to play in SB XXX ! :eek: that was some kind of amazing recovery !

Black@Gold Forever32
06-24-2007, 02:08 PM
That's quite possible that we'll indeed never see or atleast not for a very long time, another one like him. He was truly amazing ! Plus remember when he tore his ACL at TRS when chasing Barry Sanders, and still made it back to play in SB XXX ! :eek: that was some kind of amazing recovery !

Hell yea that was amazing...I remember when Woodson broke up a pass in Super Bowl XXX and he pointed to his knee stating he was back.:bigthumb:

I'll never forget when Sanders put that move on Woodson that resulted in Rod tearing his ACL....

Barry Sanders moves and turf=Very bad for defensive players knees....

K Train
06-24-2007, 02:19 PM
well i think Tomlin is the single greatest thing to happen to Ikes professional career. Ike is a very strong and very fast corner and i think he will end up being great. Mcfadden is just an animal plain and simple and i cant wait to see him play more. You wont see another woodson though, he was something special, we dont want to have to compare our guys to him, we want Ike to become his own player and hopefully one day we'll be comparing players to the great ike taylor lol

Black@Gold Forever32
06-24-2007, 02:32 PM
All Ike needs is to get his confience back.....then we will see more of 05 Ike then 06 Ike.....I agree Coach Tomlin will do wonders for Ike...Hopefully he has Ike work on his hands....His 2005 season was very good just imagine the type of year he would have had if he wouldn't have dropped all them potential INT's?

As for McFadden....The guy needs to start period....He was the Steelers best and most consistent corners last year.....Let the guy continue to grow and improve....

I don't care if both of these guys become great...I'll settle for very good and consistent....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
06-24-2007, 02:40 PM
When it's all said and done with Tomlin and the Steelers I think we'll all be able to sit back and say that the timing was perfect and he was the best thing to happen to alot of players careers on this team.

Had Cowher come back this year Im not sure Ike would be as excited and gung ho about the upcoming season. There's so much talent on this team that we haven't even begun to tap into yet, Taylor and McFadden are 2 prime examples of players that we can have together for a long time. If you add Troy and Anthony into that mix we could have one beastly secondary for a long time !

manofsteel
06-24-2007, 06:12 PM
I dont know if well ever see another RD again. But we might. Ike and Bryant arent THE full deal either. But I will say Ike Taylor is probably the best DB we have had since RD. True he needs to be more consistent and last year wasnt his best but the year before that hes shown real real potential if he has a good year this year we can start to paint a better picture. Deshea is a good CB in his own right although he lack height and T J Housh always trumps him on the Fade

DIESELMAN
06-24-2007, 07:06 PM
well i think Tomlin is the single greatest thing to happen to Ikes professional career. Ike is a very strong and very fast corner and i think he will end up being great. Mcfadden is just an animal plain and simple and i cant wait to see him play more. You wont see another woodson though, he was something special, we dont want to have to compare our guys to him, we want Ike to become his own player and hopefully one day we'll be comparing players to the great ike taylor lol
:bigthumb: I think Tomlin will definitely be a plus for our whole secondary. Ike will most definitely get his confidence back and our secondary will show a great improvement from last year.

SteelerDave74
06-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Good Topic thread here. I loved Woodson. He is single handly in my mind, the greatest safety to ever play the game. Everyone can agree or disagree with me, it won't matter. I like Ike Taylor a lot and I feel like everyone else has said in this thread, Tomlin is going to bring out the best in Ike. DeShea has some growing to do still and McFadden can be someone special. I like the opportunities we have with our secondary unit this season. I believe Tomlin and LeBeau will surprise us all.

K Train
06-24-2007, 07:32 PM
deshea is a little to old to grow much more lol

Steelersfan
06-24-2007, 08:26 PM
I very well may have brought up RW many times but as I was reading this I realized one thing. Well, maybe two things.
In our D a shut down corner will make our LBs that much better.
In our D anyone that gets to the QB will make our CBs that much better.
So which direction do you go in?
If up to me I'd say shut down corner because you can't find many of them. But there in is the problem. Our best bet is to most likely get some damn good pass rushers to take the pressure off our CB's. It's not like RW had some wimps in there at LB. Greene, Lloyd, etc.......some pretty good guys! I loved RW and he played great for us. But who made who better is the question? RW or our LB's at the time?

K Train
06-24-2007, 08:56 PM
well i think the pass rush is first and foremost, we've seen what its like without one. Woodson excelled in all typed of coverage, he was just all around great. While our guys are good and solid, we dont have a "great" CB. The pass rush makes our guys alot better because thats how a 3-4 is supposed to work. In reality any CB is gonna get lit up if the QB has 10-11 seconds to figure out what hes gonna do, the defense will always break down first. I think in Woodsons case...he and the linebackers just complimented each other perfectly with him being able to hold his own very well where most other CBs would crumble

manofsteel
06-24-2007, 08:58 PM
thats a good point steelersfan I think the case with RW and the LBS was that they went hand in hand not that one helped the other more. I think that is a problem now. Think two years ago when Peezy was bringing it Deshea and Ike seemed to have played much better. THey definately had more help from LBS than you look at last year when sacks were down. DBS had harder time. Bujt it doesnt matter with Dshea on the hot route and fades he was sitll getting beat it seemed to me because of his lack in height

Black@Gold Forever32
06-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Well of course the pass rush makes the secondary better.....The less time the QB has to feel comfortable then the more prone he will be to make mistakes....But Rod Woodson was great period......He is a first ballot Hall of Famer.....Yes the LBs like Lloyd,Greene,Brown and Kirkland helped bigtime but I still think Rod would have been great....

That whole Blitzburgh defense in the early/mid 90's was special and we may never see a collection of 3-4 talent like that again on the same defense....

Ray Seals and Joel Steed along the Dline.....Lloyd,Greene,Brown and Kirkland at LB.......Woodson,Lake and Perry in the secondary....That 94 defense was the best defense I saw growing up.......

BlitzburghRockCity
06-24-2007, 10:36 PM
That whole defensive unit was something special. Greg, Kevin, Chad, and Levon were just beastly...hands down my all time favorite group of Steeler LB's next to the Steel curtain LB's.

When you combine those guys getting after the quarterback and collapsing the running lanes with Rod, Carnell and the gang it was just flat out awesome to watch and the name Blitzburgh really did do it justice because we just brought it every week. Rod was huge part of the part because you could count on him to take the opposing teams best WR and just run with him all day long and forget about it. He made everyone better but at the same time I think he'd have been great either way regardless of who was upfront, it's just that having a good pass rush made his job alittle easier.

SteelerSteve
06-25-2007, 02:04 AM
[QUOTE=TOP GUN;119973]That's quite possible that we'll indeed never see or atleast not for a very long time, another one like him.QUOTE]
I dont think there are to many guys thatset the bar so high as to never be matched or surpassed, theres always somebody faster,stronger,or tougher so I dont think we have to worry about him never being matched. After all as time passes athletes continue to get bigger,faster, and stronger. Imagine a team from the 40's or 50's, trying to match up against a modern team, personally I dont think there would even be a contest.:2cents:

Stlrs4Life
06-25-2007, 02:10 PM
So true, I'msure even Ike is dissapointed in his play from last season. A little early to compare him to Woodson though.