PDA

View Full Version : COACH CHIN PLOTTING HIS RETURN?

Deb
06-18-2007, 06:25 PM
COACH CHIN PLOTTING HIS RETURN?

LINK (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)
A league source tells us that there is already talk in league circles that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher is planning his potential return to the NFL. Per the source, Cowher already has spoken with multiple teams about filling a potential vacancy in 2008.

The source also says that one of Cowher's demands will be full control over the football operations.

The teams, the source says, are believed to be the Browns, Redskins, and Panthers. Another league source confirms that Cowher has had at least one private discussion with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder about the possibility of replacing Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs, if Gibbs calls it quits after the 2007 season.

We're also told that Cowher has begun the process of discreetly lining up a personnel executive to run the front office, subject to Cowher's final say on all roster moves. Per the source, the list includes Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert, Steelers business operations coordinator Omar Khan, Chiefs executive vice president and COO Denny Thum, and Saints vice president of football administration Russ Ball.

Is any of this surprising? Yes, but no. With Cowher expected to be the hottest commodity on the coaching market come January 2008, teams that think they might have a coming opening would be stoopid not to commence the process of seeing what it would take to get him.

Money is a key component in this regard. We've yet to hear anything about Cowher's expected salary, but we suspect he's hoping to get at least as much as Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren (who is in the $7.5 million to $8.5 million range), given that Cowher beat the Big Show in the Big Show less than 18 months ago.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-18-2007, 06:31 PM
The good thing about us getting a bunch of new coaches this year is that BC won't have as much to try and swipe from us when he returns. I think this year will say alot about our coaches and how much others teams will try to go after then in 2008.

Cowher needs to go find his own staff and not try to raid ours when he wants to put together a group.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Hey I really don't care if Cowher comes back or not...He isn't a Steeler anymore and is the enemy if he comesback....lol Plus whatever team that does over pay for him better get ready to blow conference title games.....lol

Hey Cowher had a nice career in Pittsburgh and I'm thankful for what he did for the Steelers......But I'll never let down his 2-4 record in AFC title games (5 were at Pittsburgh)......The loss to the Chargers still stings bigtime....Along with the loss against the Broncos and the Pats 01......I didn't expect the Steelers to win the second one against the Pats....The Steelers were due for a loss after that magical run in the regular season and Jet play-off game and Ben was a rookie.....

SteelersfaninPhilly
06-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Talks with cowher have been going for a while. However, there is no freaking way I give Coach chin full control over the football operations. I see this being cowher's down fall.

BlackGold4vr
06-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Hopefully Colbert would show a little loyalty to the Rooney's and tell Bill Cowher where to go! I like Kevin Colbert and think he has done a fine job for us. Why would he want to follow Bill to be his puppet? Isn't Bill asking for total control over all personnel decisions? Sounds like he needs a hand puppet, not OUR general manager. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Yeah Bill wants total control over everything so I'd hope Colbert knows he has a good thing going here in Pittsburgh...if these draft picks work out like we hope it will go a long way to Kevin staying on board with us.

Let's not forget about Omar Kahn either, that guy is vital and has been with us for a long time !

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah Bill wants total control over everything so I'd hope Colbert knows he has a good thing going here in Pittsburgh...if these draft picks work out like we hope it will go a long way to Kevin staying on board with us.

Let's not forget about Omar Kahn either, that guy is vital and has been with us for a long time !

Omar handles all the contracts so yes we need to keep this guy...I think he does a fine job in his role....:bigthumb:

Actually I do care now that Bill comesback to the NFL....I want him to coach the Browns so we can kick the snot out of him twice a year.....:lol:

Iron City South
06-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Bill is married to Kaye ... so it doesn't surprise me that the man is desperately trying to have total "control" over one aspect of his life. :hilarious:

Steelerlyn
06-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Kinda makes me wonder if all that famiily stuff was a bunch of bs. If this is remotely true it looks more like he took time off to get his ducks in a row.

SteelersfaninPhilly
06-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Kinda makes me wonder if all that famiily stuff was a bunch of bs. If this is remotely true it looks more like he took time off to get his ducks in a row.

Or took time away. Cause he lost a power struggle.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-19-2007, 10:10 AM
No doubt, Kay definitely wears the pants in that family so Im sure football is a good release for him and way to stay busy but I wonder what she thinks about all this.

Any team that gives BC total control is just asking for trouble in my opinion. I don't think any coach should have total control over every team aspect, it's just too much responsibility and still be able to coach too.

PsychoWard
06-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Any team that gives BC total control is just asking for trouble in my opinion. I don't think any coach should have total control over every team aspect, it's just too much responsibility and still be able to coach too.

my thoughts exactly if he wants total control over football operations he needs to be a GM and not a coach! it is one or the other that is just taking on way to much to be both!

ARKIESTEEL
06-19-2007, 11:09 AM
With Wade P. coaching the Cowboys they should be inline for the first draft pick and Bill coaching the m in 2008.

Coach Bill will be a cowbaoy next year....he coached for heart and love of the game now he will get payed

just my guess:nono:

25MVPKing
06-19-2007, 11:40 AM
All very good points. Especially that any Steeler FO person would be stupid to leave the Rooneys for Cowher.