PDA

View Full Version : Steelers embrace evolution on defense

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-18-2007, 12:07 PM
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, June 17, 2007
Mercifully, the Steelers finally have broken ranks and have five weeks or so to exhale before reuniting in Latrobe. There's a lot to ponder between now and training camp at St. Vincent College.
The Steelers have become a much different team than the one that beat Cincinnati in overtime in Bill Cowher's final game on New Year's Eve, although not quite in the manner that initially was expected.
The defense, somewhat surprisingly, has remained committed to the 3-4, but radical alterations have nonetheless taken place under Mike Tomlin. It's not a switch to the 4-3 that has turned things upside down, but the adaptation of an apparent anything-goes approach on third down.

And the offense, which seemed in line for a complete makeover upon new coordinator Bruce Arians' declaration that he's a "three-tight end guy," has been simplified rather than revolutionized. The most intriguing development is what's happening on defense.
It seemed innocent enough when Brett Keisel spoke in late April during the first of two minicamps about the Steelers' intention to experiment with him as an Adalius Thomas-type rover.
But by the conclusion of the organized team activities last week, Keisel wasn't the only one jumping around on defense. Rian Wallace was doing it. So was rookie LaMarr Woodley. Even veteran defensive lineman Travis Kirschke was getting into the act, and rookie Lawrence Timmons appears destined to do it if he can ever get healthy enough to practice.
It used to be that the Steelers played either a 4-1-6 or a 4-2-5 defense on third downs, and that Troy Polamalu was the only one who had a little pre-snap fun.
Now, it's difficult to tell what the Steelers are doing and whom they're doing it with, which apparently is the whole idea.
"It really does give the offense hell," Keisel said. "We're playing a 2-3-6, a 3-2-6, a 1-5-5, all kinds of things.
"We've got a lot of things we're running around with right now. It's been really exciting watching them unfold, and watching (defensive coordinator Dick) LeBeau's wizardry come through."
LeBeau apparently has advanced from master strategist to mad scientist, at least in obvious passing situations.
His wizardry includes Keisel covering receivers, such as Nate Washington, on occasion.
Call it the Baltimore factor.
"I think the whole league saw that," Keisel said of the Baltimore Ravens' ability to disguise, deceive and destroy on defense. "It's gonna be cool. I hope we run it a lot."
Those running the Steelers' offense suddenly have much less to digest.
"When you had five coordinators' offenses in the playbook, it can be like Chinese," Arians said. "It was hard for me to learn it when I came here. I'd see something and ask, 'Why would we call that?' Well, that's what we called when so-and-so was the offensive coordinator.
"Bill (Cowher) wasn't going to take some things out of that playbook that he liked. There were things in there we hadn't called in four years, but they were still in there."
They're gone now, the playbook having been thinned in a fashion that might make Kirstie Alley envious.
"Now, a younger player or a 'need' pickup off the waiver wire has a chance to learn your offense and play on Sunday," Arians said.
What'll they think of next?

AZ_Steeler
06-18-2007, 01:54 PM
That sounds awesome!! I like all the moving around prior to the snap because we all saw what it did to Manning, the only thing that bothers me is a quick snap which could cause someone to be out of position :dunno: Still sounds exciting though and looking forward to seeing the Steelers in action!! :cope:

ARKIESTEEL
06-18-2007, 04:47 PM
That sounds awesome!! I like all the moving around prior to the snap because we all saw what it did to Manning, the only thing that bothers me is a quick snap which could cause someone to be out of position :dunno: Still sounds exciting though and looking forward to seeing the Steelers in action!! :cope:

As long as most of the WR have a man on them and the guys bounceing around are either blitzing or falling into a zone...we shouldnt get caught to bad with a quick snap:crossfingers:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2007, 06:15 PM
I mentioned after LaMarr Woodley was drafted that he would be one of those rovar type players like Adalius Thomas....So I'm glad to hear they're trying him in that role some.....

BlitzburghRockCity
06-19-2007, 04:59 PM
All the pre snap movement on defense is what makes the 34 so potent..when it's executed to perfection it's damn hard to counteract especially if we're playing a team that doesn't see it that often. The more confusion we can create on defense the better :yesnod:

As far as the offense goes, the more simple the better IMO. Give Ben as many options as possible but don't be so damn confusing that everybody is on different pages.

Stlrs4Life
06-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Let's wait and hold judgement till training camp when they will be hitting for real, and be wearing pads.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-19-2007, 11:55 PM
That's the ticket right there, seeing how these guys really do when the hitting is real and they can really start to put this system in play. Another thing to watch is how well these guys are conditioned heading into camp so hopefully that will cut down on some nagging camp injuries that always happen.

BlitzburghNation
06-20-2007, 12:01 AM
Let's wait and hold judgement till training camp when they will be hitting for real, and be wearing pads.

Well put :clap: My thought's exactly !