PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers Have No Elite Players?

Captcoolhand
06-18-2007, 08:21 AM
If you believe in Pete Prisco's NFL player rankings (http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10225498/rss), the Steelers are lacking in impact players. In his new listing of his Top 50 players in the NFL, no Steeler makes the cut. Troy Polamalu and Casey Hampton are listed as guys who just missed the list, but no member of the Black and Gold is considered worthy of a Top 50 ranking.

In case you're wondering, the Bengals have two players (Carson Palmer, No. 5 and Chad Johnson, No. 7) in the top 10, while the Ravens have three (Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and Jonathan Ogden) who made the cut.

As crazy as that might sound, it's hard to argue too much. I think Polamalu should be on the list instead of Jets safety Kerry Rhodes, but last year wasn't Polamalu's best work, and Hampton misses out while equally impressive Chargers run-plugger Jamaal Williams just scrapes by at No. 50, so that seems fair.

What it really point to is the Steelers need for some of their younger stars to take a couple of steps forward. Ideally Willie Parker (who should have at least been on the honorable mention list), Ben Roethlisberger, Heath Miller or Santonio Holmes will work his way onto the list in future years, but just two years after winning the Super Bowl the Steelers are a little bereft of truly elite talent. Of course the Super Bowl victory proved something else as well--you don't have to have anyone among the Top 10 players in the league to win a title. When Prisco last did these rankings, only Polamalu and Roethlisberger made the list. (http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9469847):scratch:

ARKIESTEEL
06-18-2007, 08:42 AM
A TEAM of nobodys is better than a group of Somebodys:bigthumb:

BRICKTOWN BEAST
06-18-2007, 11:32 AM
not even Ward the best possesion and blocking wr in the game OK.

memphissteelergirl
06-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Well, if the guy means that the Steelers don't have a group of prima donnas who think they are the greatest things since the invention of shoulder pads, then I suppose he has a point.

BBG7
06-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Well that list of nobodys won the SB two years ago and what have the Bengals and Ravens done lately....I would take out bunch of "no ones" that can win as a team instead of a couple guys that stand out that haven't won anything.

AZ_Steeler
06-18-2007, 12:43 PM

I don't think it could of been said any better than this! Besides... these are always a matter of someone else's opinion and I'm sure we all have our own opinion too! :bigthumb:

SteelersWoman
06-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Prisco really doesn't like us, so it doesn't surprise me that he finds so little good.

Think about it--with only 2 (or less) "elite" players, we won a SB. That's pretty impressive :D

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Prisco is one the biggest asses out there I never pay any attention to this tool.........

I bet any HC out there would trade their right nut to get a safety like Troy Polamalu. So he is an elite player....

floodcitygirl
06-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Prisco is one the biggest asses out there I never pay any attention to this tool.........

I bet any HC out there would trade their right nut to get a safety like Troy Polamalu. So he is an elite player....Don't think I would have put it quite the same way...(LOL!)....but I definately agree! :yesnod:

SteelersWoman
06-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Yeah--I'd like to meet the coach that would turn Troy away lol
In fact, I believe we have several players that no coach would turn down--we always have several guys in the pro bowl.

Troy has been listed ALWAYS in the top 3 (and generally at the 1-2 spot) in anybody else's rankings that I've ever seen.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2007, 02:15 PM
I don't mean to be so vulgar but Prisco pisses me off...I hate that guy so he brings out the nasty side in me....lol

BlackGold4vr
06-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Don't give a damn what most sports writers say about the Steelers because I have found that most don't like us and never have anything good to say even when it's warranted. We know we have a good team and we know that we will surprise some teams that these experts will tell people are the favorites to "go all the way". I believe that the Steelers will reclaim the AFC North this year. The Ravens and Bungels will fight each other for 2nd place and a wildcard slot.

:markit:

DIESELMAN
06-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Don't give a damn what most sports writers say about the Steelers because I have found that most don't like us and never have anything good to say even when it's warranted. We know we have a good team and we know that we will surprise some teams that these experts will tell people are the favorites to "go all the way". I believe that the Steelers will reclaim the AFC North this year. The Ravens and Bungels will fight each other for 2nd place and a wildcard slot.

:markit:

The only time they say anything good is when they jump on the bandwagon....screw all reporters (for the most part), they don't have a clue what it takes to play a TEAM sport.

Iron City South
06-18-2007, 03:14 PM

Think about this for a moment ... In today's salary crazed world of the NFL where the big impact names demand big money, thus big cap hits ... Keeping players on the outer fringe of this list is exactly where you want them to be to sustain some degree of continuity. If you have more than two players on this list you automatically have cap problems or you're not paying the other 50 players on the roster.

ARKIESTEEL
06-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah none of them are elite till they are putting on that gold jacket in canton

BlitzburghRockCity
06-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Well, if the guy means that the Steelers don't have a group of prima donnas who think they are the greatest things since the invention of shoulder pads, then I suppose he has a point.

Very well said indeed :plus1: The Steelers are a team that prides itself on having players that are not me first,self centered, arrogant jerk offs. That's not to say that we are perfect because we aren't but I'd rather have our team than anyone else's any day of the week.

Players who should have made that list IMO:

Hampton
Ward
Polamalu
Aaron Smith

PsychoWard
06-18-2007, 04:47 PM
troy should have definelty made the list indeed and i can't believe hines didn't even mentioned!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-18-2007, 04:55 PM
You know how it goes, when the rest of the league and the media overlooks us that's when we play our best football so if they want to say we have nobody special then let them think that...we'll be the ones with the last laugh ! :towelwave:

Stlrs4Life
06-18-2007, 05:02 PM

Well said!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-19-2007, 04:01 PM
When we made our SB run 2 years ago we were basically overlooked by the whole league as somebody who just snuck in at the last minute wasn't much of a threat but we had our backs against the wall and we came out fighting in a big way and reached our goal.

We just need to stay focused and not get big heads like we have in the past and anything is possible.