PDA

View Full Version : Who over Willie???

BB2W
06-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Who in the NFL would you rather have starting at runningback over Willie Parker?

Willie has done some great things in his short time in the NFL, but there are Steelers fans on both sides of the fence with him.

I know what Willie brings to the table and I'm also aware of his weaknesses.

No runningback in the NFL brings more "homerun" potential to every carry than Parker. He is a good receiver out of the backfield because he is great in space and can take away the angle from defenders.

He could improve at the point of contact and running between the tackles when the hole is not there. I think he needs to have more patience while running and things will open up. While he is elusive because of his speed he doesn't have great "wiggle"... he needs to get better at shaking the tackler one on one. Unfortunately, I think that is something you are born with and can't be taught.

Having said that I love what Wille does and I'm sure I'll love what he will do in the future.

All things considered, if I could have anyone in the NFL over him it would be...

1. LaDainian Tomlinson
2. Larry Johnson
3. Frank Gore
4. Steven Jackson

Close but no cigar...

1. Maurice Jones-Drew
2. Reggie Bush
3. Adrian Peterson

Your thoughts?... (don't flame me) :greengrin:

PsychoWard
06-16-2007, 05:15 PM
L T hands down!!!!

i do think that the steelers need to throw it to willie out if the backfield WAY more than they do now as fast as he is that would open up so much more!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
06-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Well LanDanian for starters.....But after that I don't know for sure.....

Ok Larry Johnson, Steven Jackson and Reggie Bush all come to mind but we will find out how good LJ is this year with the losses he has suffered from his OLine...Now if he still puts up the numbers then case closed....

As for Steven Jackson he is a really good RB and has power that Steelers fans love....

As for Reggie Bush the guy is going to be special...I think he is going to tear the NFL up for years to come with his special talents..

I want to see Gore and Drew do it again before I pick them over Willie Parker...

Remember Willie is still coming into his own as a RB and finally has an offense that plays to his strengths....I think to much at times Cowher had Willie sticking to the original hole and didn't let Willie use his instincts more....

BB2W
06-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Remember Willie is still coming into his own as a RB and finally has an offense that plays to his strengths....I think to much at times Cowher had Willie sticking to the original hole and didn't let Willie use his instincts more....Great points... especially this. :helmet:

My list might be much snaller than this after this year.

LT, LJ, Jackson, and Bush are obviously worthy of consideration.

I like Drew and Gore because they are natural runners... they were born to do this. Their vision and instincts are incredible, they seem to be a step ahead of the defense and two steps ahead at the point of contact. I've followed Gore since high school but just recently started watching Drew and I'm very impressed.

Koopa
06-16-2007, 05:37 PM
lt of course, johnson would be good too, maybe gore

but our offense is changing, and it could benefit willie a lot, and he could have a big year this year, running and catching the ball

DIESELMAN
06-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Most definitely LT after that LJ, he ran pretty well behind a beat up OL last year. I think with Cowher gone and Tomlin's new offense, we'll be seeing a very different FWP. :cope:

SteelersWoman
06-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Mike has said that he intends using our guys' strengths to their highest potential rather than try to shape the player to the position, and with Willie, that's definitely speed in the open.

I guess I could answer the question lol Hmm--there are several who are really good, but so is Willie--just in his own style. When it comes to out on the flat, give me Willie every time. But yeah, LT's got the overall package.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Well LanDanian for starters.....But after that I don't know for sure.....

Ok Larry Johnson, Steven Jackson and Reggie Bush all come to mind but we will find out how good LJ is this year with the losses he has suffered from his OLine...Now if he still puts up the numbers then case closed....

As for Steven Jackson he is a really good RB and has power that Steelers fans love....

As for Reggie Bush the guy is going to be special...I think he is going to tear the NFL up for years to come with his special talents..

I want to see Gore and Drew do it again before I pick them over Willie Parker...

Remember Willie is still coming into his own as a RB and finally has an offense that plays to his strengths....I think to much at times Cowher had Willie sticking to the original hole and didn't let Willie use his instincts more....

:plus1:

I think if Willie continues to improve and now being in a system that suits his talents more this kid is going to be a major force in the league for a long time to come. The kid has all the talent in the world and the best part about it is his best is yet to come.

Iron City South
06-16-2007, 09:14 PM
I like Willie and think he'll get better over the next 2 years, but I'd take LT and Stephen Jackson in a heartbeat over him. I think Frank Gore and Maurice Jones-Drew will also show people why they belong in the leagues elite this year.

BlitzburghNation
06-16-2007, 09:18 PM
LT a no brainer,,,,,,,,,Maybe LJ :scratch:

But i'm a homer & have all the confidence that FWP can get the job done and put up great FF numbers also :tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-16-2007, 09:38 PM
I don't know why there is a hard-on for Frank Gore so much?...Now don't get me wrong he is a fantastic RB...But he only has done it for one year...Where Willie has two years of good football under his belt...Yea Gore had more yards last year but Willie scored more TDs. A Steelers record for TDs in a single season.

Now if Gore has 1500 yards this year and 10-15 TDs then by all means take him over Fast Willie...I just want to see him do it again....

K Train
06-16-2007, 09:43 PM
LT because hes the best player on the planet

Jackson because hes an ANIMAL and is a hell of a reciever

Mccallister because hes (see steven jackson)

Honestly willi falls here then on my list of RBs....LJ, Alexander do not make the list of the top 5. Gore is #5 for me

RckyMtnStlrFan
06-16-2007, 09:43 PM
I'd take LT for sure! But, as others have said, it seems as though Tomlin and BA are setting the stage for Willie to have a great year/career. So, I'll reserve any other picks until next year.

Go Willie!!:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-16-2007, 09:51 PM
I just want to see Frank Gore have another good season before ranking ahead of Fast Willie.....Hey Willie has two good years under his belt...True his 2005 coming out party wasn't like Gore's 2006....But considering how raw Willie was then that makes his 2005 season better then it was....We all saw what type of back Willie can be last year...I think he can be even better in 2007...What could hurt his numbers though if the passing game takes off and has a larger role in the offense.

Again I'm not arguing that Frank Gore isn't a good RB...The guy is a badass but I just want to see another 2006 year or better from him....Thats all.....

Prosdo
06-16-2007, 10:27 PM
LT no doubt. Then probably LJ or Alexander.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-16-2007, 10:58 PM
LT no doubt. Then probably LJ or Alexander.

I would have said Alexander in his prime...But he is getting up there for a RB and his best years might be behind him now...

BlitzburghRockCity
06-17-2007, 12:31 AM
I think Alexander still has a few good years left on the wheels but he has fallen a bit with injuries and subpar OL blocking.

Gore was money last year for FF for me, but yes I agree he'll need to show consistency before he's considered among the elite. All indications are though that he seems to be the real deal so we'll see.

Stephen Jackson is kind of the forgotten back when people talke about the best in the business many times. The dude runs hard and strong and is a helluva receiver for them too.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-17-2007, 12:37 AM
Jackson is a badass no doubt.....I think Alexander is breaking down....I know he had 100 yards against the Bears in that play-off game...But you can tell he didn't have that same kind of burst he use to have....Seems like he is lossing a step....

I think Gore is a very good RB....

BlitzburghRockCity
06-17-2007, 12:39 AM
Yeah I think the Alexander has definitely lost a step but even with a lost step he's still better than 2/3 of the RB's in the league :lol:

Jones-Drew has the potential to really break out, Fred Taylor is too fragile anymore but makes a good mentor.

steelersgal86
06-17-2007, 08:03 AM
LT for sure....:yesnod: But I think Willie will have a great year :yesnod:
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

indy_steelers
06-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Alexander is getting hurt these days. His career is winding down. He had only a couple of good years and I do not think he has a shot at the HOF. Seattle wanted to run him out of town for years. He is an overachiever.

Adrian Peterson? Has he even taken a snapp in the NFL? I migh have take Barber in his prime. He is better than Alexander.

I guess the good thing about having LJ on our team is that he would not have to play agianst our defense and might have 100 more yards but he did not run for crap against us last year. His only contrbution to the Cheifs in the game against us was a tackle that saved a TD. But LJ is better than Alexander.

25MVPKing
06-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Let's not forget Willie wasn't a featured back in college. He went to a bad football school (UNC) and wasn't even the starter. He's growing more than anyone else.

steelcurtain09
06-17-2007, 08:52 PM
i would take LT over FWP any day
the only RB in this league i wouldnt choose LT over is LT himself

the second and only other tailback i would take over Fast Willie is Reggie Bush
he has had one year to acclimate himself to the NFL and will have an even better year this year
he has a better skillset than Parker and he is a lot more used to catching the ball out of the backfield than Willie is