PDA

View Full Version : There Are a Lot of Baby Ben's Bouncing Around Pittsburgh

spent
06-14-2007, 09:38 PM
There Are a Lot of Baby Ben's Bouncing Around Pittsburgh
Posted Jun 14th 2007 7:38PM by JJ Cooper
Filed under: Steelers, AFC North

Amid questions of whether Steelers fans still believe in Ben Roethlisberger, there is this interesting stat. The year before Roethlisberger became the Steelers quarterback, Benjamin was the 20th most popular boys name in the state of Pennsylvania. Since then, it's become the 14th most popular, at a time when the name has become less popular elsewhere in the country.

In case you're wondering, Terry was a much more popular name in the 1970s than it is now. Hopefully in a couple of years we'll find that Santonio is suddenly a popular boys name around Pittsburgh, but I feel safe in saying that Ricardo is pretty rare ever since last year's Bengals game.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/06/14/there-are-a-lot-of-baby-bens-bouncing-around-pittsburgh/

25MVPKing
06-14-2007, 11:38 PM
I'd say you wouldn't believe how many Peyton boys and girls there are in Indiana, but I bet it's exactly what you'd expect.

In PA: Peyton not in Top 100
In IN: Peyton ranked 65 for boys.
In TN: Peyton ranked 76 for boys.
Nationally: 154 for boys, 138 for girls

Kind of funny, isn't it? I wonder if the trend is the same in other sports:
NASCAR: lots of baby Dales
NBA: lots of baby Shaquiles
MLB: lots of baby Johans
NHL: lots of baby Sidneys
UFC: lots of baby Chucks

:lol: Like I said, funny to think about. :lol:

What athlete would/did you name your kid after? Hines, Jerome, Troy, Alan, Kordell, Yancy, Merril, Terry, Franco?

TEEMONT
06-14-2007, 11:48 PM
I would never name my kid after an athelete.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-15-2007, 07:03 AM
It's amazing how many parents specifically name their children after athletes or actors or just somebody famous.

I tried to convince my wife to name our son Jerome but she was having none of it :lol:

AZ_Steeler
06-15-2007, 01:39 PM
It's amazing how many parents specifically name their children after athletes or actors or just somebody famous.

I tried to convince my wife to name our son Jerome but she was having none of it :lol:

I tried that too but my wife wasn't having any of it! :lol: I also suggested Hines, Benjamin, Willie, Troy and when she realized where I was pulling my names from she said no... so then I started with the old school names but some of them just weren't cool except for Rocky!

Women just don't understand sometimes :dunno:

:)

dick rasile
06-15-2007, 04:07 PM
I hate to mention who my parents picked my name from. I can tell you this, I did change my middle name to match the Church records and very few people know what it was when I was young.

AZ_Steeler
06-15-2007, 04:12 PM
I hate to mention who my parents picked my name from. I can tell you this, I did change my middle name to match the Church records and very few people know what it was when I was young.

Now you have to spill the beans, you can't leave us hanging like that! ;)

25MVPKing
06-15-2007, 04:38 PM
:iagree:

BengalBrian
06-15-2007, 10:13 PM
I suggested Carson for the one on the way.. The wife wouldnt have it.. I suggested Ronald.. That wont fly either.. Some of you may know why that is funny..

Keegan it is... Keegan Patrick..

If I lived in Pittsburgh though, I would probably try for Troy.. Why the hell Ben? lol

Dako
06-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Thank God Bubby Brister's not the current QB....one Bubby was enough.....

SteelersWoman
06-16-2007, 06:39 AM
I was just glad to find that this thread had NOTHING to do with what I thought it did--I thought it was implying that Ben was fathering children all over Pittsburgh LOL

I named my son Ryan because of Ryan McNeil (played by Scott Reeves) on the Y&R. I haven't watched the show in YEARS, so I guess it's a good thing it's a rather common, well-accepted name lol
Ryan's middle name is in honor of my dad James.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-16-2007, 07:01 AM
Thank God Bubby Brister's not the current QB....one Bubby was enough.....

yeah really, the next thing you know the camera's would be having shots of their mom's sitting in the stadiums every week too :hilarious:

okiesteeler
06-16-2007, 02:18 PM
I tried to get my wife to let my name my first born Yancey, but she would have none of that, and has even vetoed it as a nickname