PDA

View Full Version : The difference one year makes

BlackGold4vr
06-12-2007, 05:47 PM
By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Jun 12, 2007

It’s the last week of spring workouts and the Steelers, particularly their quarterback, look sharp. The one-year anniversary of Ben Roethlisberger’s motorcycle accident was a good day for looking sharp.

PITTSBURGH – The Steelers practiced at Heinz Field on Tuesday so that Ben Roethlisberger wouldn’t have to race down Second Avenue to get to practice. Not really, but yesterday did mark the one-year anniversary of Roethlisberger’s motorcycle wreck.

“I’m blessed, I truly am, to be out here,” he said. “It’s a beautiful day to be on this football field with my teammates.”

Tuesday was the one-year anniversary of the wreck. He marked it on his calendar. Wednesday, he said, is also special day.

“I marked it down today on the calendar as one year, and then tomorrow I had: ‘Hopefully no more talking about it.’”

Ah, but the group of reporters surrounding Roethlisberger -- after yet another outstanding practice performance -- didn’t care about tomorrow. So the questions reigned down on him this June 12:

Have you reflected on the accident?

“No, I haven’t reflected on it.”

Why did you mark it on the calendar?

“This is the day last year that I almost lost my life.”

Has it changed your life?

“I’m not riding.”

You’re not riding at all?

“No, I ride my ten-speed.”

Did you get calls from family?

“No. Like I said, everyone’s forgotten about it except the media.”

How do you feel?

“I feel great. I feel great right now. I feel like I’m in great shape.”

Roethlisberger looked the part yesterday. When the special teams allowed the offense and defense to take the field, the quarterback was the star of the show, particularly in the red-zone drill.

On the first play, Roethlisberger lofted a pretty pass to tight end Heath Miller in the corner of the end zone for a touchdown over Arnold Harrison. On the next play, Roethlisberger went to the other side, to the other tight end, Jerame Tuman, who beat Clark Haggans for a score.

Going for three touchdown passes in a row, Roethlisberger threw just a bit wide to Cedrick Wilson in the end zone and the ball bounced off Wilson’s hands to the ground.

Roethlisberger did make one awful pass later, and that’s only because it was a left-footed punt out of bounds. He scrambled right but couldn’t find a receiver, so he scrambled all the way back to the left with Brett Keisel in pursuit. Before Roethlisberger could be run out of bounds he punted it away as Keisel taunted him.

The play proved Roethlisberger still has the quick feet. In fact, he may have more mobility than ever, since he’s kept the weight off from the accident while regaining his strength.

“My weight’s right where I want it to be,” he said. “I feel healthier than I’ve ever felt.”

I personally, am looking for a huge year from Big Ben! Will he make some mistakes.......sure he will. Will he throw some interceptions.......sure he will. Will he lead the Steeler offense to a play-off caliber level....I believe he will. All you Big Ben bashers better get it in while you can because once the season starts I don't believe you are gonna have a lot to bash when it comes to Ben's play. I truly believe that the Steelers will be a top 5 team this year and will go deep into the play-offs. Ben is primed for a huge comeback year IMO.

:towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-12-2007, 06:02 PM
You knew the media would just be all over this to see what Ben is thinking, if he's thought about it much, :blah: Just let it go and move on, Im quite sure Ben doesn't want to relive it and nor do we. It's over and 2007 is a new fresh start for everyone.

I'm excited to see what Ben does this year and what our entire team is capable of doing to get us back to the promised land !

Black@Gold Forever32
06-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Ok.....I'm going to say it again....Big Ben is going to throw for 30 TDs this year.....Becoming the first Steelers QB to do so.....I like what I'm reading and it sounds that Big Ben is starting to become the QB we expected when the Steelers drafted him....The accident delayed his greatness for a season but the delay is over and Ben becomes a great QB in 2007....Yes Teemont get ready for it.......lol

BlitzburghRockCity
06-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Im quite sure you have the full support of this site in wanting to see Ben throw 30 TD's this year. I'd be happy if the threw 20-25 TD's this year but 30 would be even better. From all indications he'll have the opportunity to do so, now it's time for him seize it ! :towelwave:

Blitzburghpete
06-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Ben 3750 yards 28 td's 14 ints
Parker 1550 yards 10 td's
Hines 1100 yards 8 td's
Miller 850 yards 7 td's
Holmes 900 yards 5 td's

Najeh 500 yards and 5 td's

Heard it here first folks.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Im quite sure you have the full support of this site in wanting to see Ben throw 30 TD's this year. I'd be happy if the threw 20-25 TD's this year but 30 would be even better. From all indications he'll have the opportunity to do so, now it's time for him seize it ! :towelwave:

Hey if Ben only threw 2 TDs all year and the Steelers won the Super Bowl then I would happy....But I just really want to see Ben live up to his potential....Before the 2004 draft I drove my family/friends nuts about how great Big Ben was going to be and hoping he would fall to the Steelers.....:lol:

Ben 3750 yards 28 td's 14 ints
Parker 1550 yards 10 td's
Hines 1100 yards 8 td's
Miller 850 yards 7 td's
Holmes 900 yards 5 td's

Najeh 500 yards and 5 td's

Heard it here first folks.

Solid projections......Hard to argue with any of them

I agree with Ben's yards....But Ben throws 32 TDs and I agree with the INTs.....

I see Hines just over 1000 yards and 8 TDs sounds good.....I say Miller leads the Steelers in TD receptions this year with 10+.....I think Holmes gets over 1100 yards with 7-8 scores......

Nice stats for Willie.....I could see those stats for Davenport also.....:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-12-2007, 10:00 PM
I can't really say I could argue with those potential stats either. If those guys end up with those numbers by the end of the year chances are we're still playing in January :yesnod:

RckyMtnStlrFan
06-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I think those stats look probable. Though it's really hard to say without actually seeing anyone really play. If Ben does get 28 to 32 TD's I think Miller will have more than 7 TD's. Probably at least 10 or 11. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think we're gonna have a very good season and Miller is gonna be a fantasy GOD! I'm not saying we're going back to the SB, but from what I've read and seen it seems as though we are primed to go deep into the playoffs. Only time will tell. I can't wait for the season to start so we can see how the new coaching staff, the new offense, the new players and the team chemistry plays out!:tt02:

Blitzburghpete
06-13-2007, 05:20 AM
I would have predicted more yards and td's for Holmes but i can see Washington and Wilson taking yards and td's off him so he won't quite top the 1000 yard mark.

Washington will get around the 500 yard mark and a huge average
Wilson around the same with these two getting another 5 td's

Also Spaeth could chip in with 300 yards or so from the TE position.

Stlrs4Life
06-13-2007, 06:47 PM
No surpise that they would ask hi9m about the accident. I'm sure he was expecting it on the anniversary.