PDA

View Full Version : Even the immortals were human

BlackGold4vr
06-12-2007, 09:51 AM
I watched a show yesterday about the Steelers which highlighted the entire 79 season on the NFL network. The 79 and 78 Steelers are widely regarded as 2 of the best teams that ever played. Yet, we forget that the 79 Steelers got their butts whipped in week 6 by a 0-6 Cincinnati Bengal team by a score of 34-10. Later in that same season we got whipped again by the Chargers 35-7. I guess the point I am trying to make is that sometimes we Steeler fans are far too critical of our current team because we are comparing them to a legendary team that we have immortalized in our minds as being invincible. That team just like the current one was just as capable of putting up a lemon of a game.

In my mind there have been only 2 other teams who compare to the 70's Steeler Dynasty. The 90's Cowboys and the current Patriots. Both of those teams won 3 in a 4 year span. I don't throw the 80's Niners in there because their titles were more spread out over the decade. It took Montana's team 9 years to win 4 titles and they only won back to back titles once.

I truly believe that this current nucleus of players with the Steelers will give us a couple more championships before their era is over. In the race to be the first team with 6 lombardi's, I like our chances.

:towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

ARKIESTEEL
06-12-2007, 10:06 AM
The first to 6 will either be us or the crygirls...the 49ers arre going to be out of the hunt for awhile. I also like our chances to be the first with 6.

steelcurtain09
06-12-2007, 10:26 AM
The first to 6 will either be us or the crygirls...the 49ers arre going to be out of the hunt for awhile. I also like our chances to be the first with 6.

dont be too quick to discount the niners
they are sittin there waiting to pounce
last year the y were just like us, sitting one game out of the playoffs

BlackGold4vr
06-12-2007, 10:49 AM
dont be too quick to discount the niners
they are sittin there waiting to pounce
last year the y were just like us, sitting one game out of the playoffs

C'mon now, even with our poor year, we scored 55 more points than they did, gave up 97 less points defensively. And oh, bye the way, we play in a tough division while they play in one of the weakest divisions and a weaker conference. I don't consider our teams to be even close to being on the same level. We will get a taste for how competitve the NFC West is because our division plays theirs this year for our out of conference games.

They will pay dearly in coming years for the Nate Clements deal ( $80 million contract that includes $22 million in guarantees.)

ARKIESTEEL
06-12-2007, 11:04 AM
C'mon now, even with our poor year, we scored 55 more points than they did, gave up 97 less points defensively. And oh, bye the way, we play in a tough division while they play in one of the weakest divisions and a weaker conference. I don't consider our teams to be even close to being on the same level.

They will pay dearly in coming years for the Nate Clements deal ( $80 million contract that includes $22 million in guarantees.)

:plus1:
Amen amen amen

Hell they just have to beat the seahawks cards and rams........:bluelol:

25MVPKing
06-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Any team can beat any other team on any given Sunday.

This was proven very well last year when we were Super Bowl contenders and one of the best teams in the NFL, but lost to teams such as the Raiders.

As long as the Steelers don't forget that, the fans shouldn't have too much to worry about... and I think Tomlin will be one of the first (and best) to remind them about any given Sunday.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-12-2007, 02:13 PM
It's a very good point BG4vr; we as Steeler fans I think will always compare the current or more recent teams to the Dynasty teams of the 70's. The players know that's the case, it's just par for the course playing in Pittsburgh...at the same time though it's not fair to them to be judged against a legendary team that played 30 years ago because so much was different then, than it is now.

The recent Steeler teams have had a lot of success and deserve the accolades we give them. I think as long as the 70's generation Steeler fans still exist there will always be that comparison but watching these modern Steelers play is still awesome too and they deserve our respect as much as the 70's teams do.

25MVPKing
06-12-2007, 02:54 PM
It's also important to keep in mind that in 1994 the NFL adopted a salary cap. It's hard to compare teams that are pre-cap and post-cap.

Maybe that's why I tend to think of Lombardi's Packers as legendary (last place to 5 championships in 7 years), Noll's Steelers as a dynasty (4 in 6), but am not even impressed with Johnson's Cowboys (3 in 4) and Belichick's Patriots (3 in 4).

Stlrs4Life
06-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Good post, just we all compared every QB we had to Terry Bradshaw.

BlackGold4vr
06-12-2007, 11:21 PM
It's a very good point BG4vr; we as Steeler fans I think will always compare the current or more recent teams to the Dynasty teams of the 70's. The players know that's the case, it's just par for the course playing in Pittsburgh...at the same time though it's not fair to them to be judged against a legendary team that played 30 years ago because so much was different then, than it is now.

The recent Steeler teams have had a lot of success and deserve the accolades we give them. I think as long as the 70's generation Steeler fans still exist there will always be that comparison but watching these modern Steelers play is still awesome too and they deserve our respect as much as the 70's teams do.

I think you missed my point. I am not pointing out that it is unfair to judge this team against those (although it's not). The point I was trying to make is that we have immortalized the 70's Steelers as though they were some mythological greek gods impervious to defeat. We remember all the great moments, but we have filtered out all the games where those teams stunk up the field. And there were plenty of those too! So when the current team has a bad game there are those old timers who sigh and wonder what happened to those dynasty days. Those dynasty teams had some stinky games too! One can't argue with the 4 titles they produced but they did have some bad games as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Sorry, misinterpreted your post.

Yes it's true that the 70's teams did have many bad games and games where they should have won but didn't as does every team whether it's the 80's San Fran teams, the 90's Cowboys, or the 2K Pats. Winning championships seems to make all the dissapointments that go along with all the success', go away.

BlitzburghNation
06-16-2007, 04:44 AM
I truly believe that this current nucleus of players with the Steelers will give us a couple more championships before their era is over. In the race to be the first team with 6 lombardi's, I like our chances.

:towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

:iagree:
We will get our 6th or maybe 7th title with Big Ben as our QB and more then likely Tomlin as our HC :tt02: