PDA

View Full Version : Davenport happy to return the favor

SteelersWoman
06-08-2007, 06:25 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/77215/

Friday, June 8, 2007
By Teresa Varley

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/9099/07vmc0422amkr0181davenpix5.jpg

When Najeh Davenport signed with the Steelers last year, following the season-opener against the Miami Dolphins, fellow running back Verron Haynes stepped in and helped him out right away. He gave him tips, helped him with the playbook, and the like.

Now it's Davenport's time to return the favor. Haynes was re-signed this week and is back healthy after suffering a knee injury in an offense that has taken on some changes over the past few months.

"I think it's a role reversal," said Davenport. "Last year he was helping me telling me what to do, who I've got. Now I get to show him some stuff. I am telling him when he takes the field, as far as the knee, let it go."

Haynes provides extra competition for Davenport, along with Kevan Barlow, in a back-field that is now loaded with experience. Davenport doesn't mind the extra competition and thinks it is good for all.

"The roles aren't defined yet," said Davenport. "Everybody is coming together as a team and making plays and that is the most important thing. We are getting the offense in and knowing where we are supposed to be."

Davenport, who backed-up Willie Parker last year, would welcome that role again this year. But he wants to do much more.

"I want to be a 'who can' guy," said Davenport. "You have three kinds of guys, a 'who can' guy, a 'question mark,' and a 'can't' guy. Being a who can guy is a guy who can do anything you ask him to do and do it good returning kicks, blocking punts, making first downs, scoring touchdowns, short yardage, blocking, picking up blitzes. It's about being a 'who can' guy."

And a 'who can' guy is one that normally stays out of the "news", but it's not the same thing that most people tune into at 12, 6 and 11 to get updates from their local televisions stations.

No, this news is delivered by one person Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. And it's not always good news.

Each day the players are greeted in a meeting with the "news." Often times it's about mistakes that were made in practice the day before and the like. There has been some good news mixed in lately at the urging of the players, but for the most part it's safe to say they like to stay out of the "news".

"He will tell you what's on his mind when it's on his mind," said running back Najeh Davenport. "You have to love that, that he doesn't hold anything back. You always know where you stand with him. You have some guys you don't know where you stand with them. Things might be in his head one way and yours another. With Coach T you know that morning where you stand with him in the 'news.'

"So far I haven't had any mental errors, so I want to keep that going. I haven't made the 'news' so I want to keep that streak going. I want to continue to do what I have been doing since day one."

BlitzburghRockCity
06-08-2007, 06:36 PM
"The roles aren't defined yet," said Davenport. "Everybody is coming together as a team and making plays and that is the most important thing. We are getting the offense in and knowing where we are supposed to be."

I love that attitude, it just shows even more how much this team is working together and make amends for last years debacle.

25MVPKing
06-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Obviously it's good that Najeh hasn't been in the news yet. Pretty positive about Najeh this year.

BB2W
06-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Good read... we definitely have one of the deepest backfields in the league. :helmet:

K Train
06-09-2007, 02:10 PM
najeh looks like hes in pretty good shape this year

Blitzburghpete
06-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I know Najeh has got people who doubt his skill, injury prone yada yada yada... well you know what this guy is gonna be great for us. I have watched him do everything asked of him and hope he gets the chance to show his talents.
Besides he's the nearet thing that we have to a power back

Black@Gold Forever32
06-09-2007, 03:43 PM
I don't understand why some people keep thinking Dookie is the second coming of Jim Brown?lol He is a good player for depth purposes and has the chance to be a really solid third down back especially if he picks up the blitz on a consistent basis...But he is nothing more then that....

I hope he wins the 3rd down back competition...I want Haynes gone since Haynes will get hurt again. In five year Haynes has had three season ending injuries....lol

K Train
06-09-2007, 03:45 PM
i like the versatility he brings, i think he will be good for us this year, he did a solid job last year and with a full year and a full camp he should be ready to go

BlitzburghRockCity
06-09-2007, 03:47 PM
I think Najeh ends up as the backup to Willie, Kuhn lands the 3rd down back role..and maybe Haynes sticks around as a backup FB. I'd probably rather have Haynes than Barlow if I had to pick one of the 2.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-09-2007, 03:50 PM
I think Najeh ends up as the backup to Willie, Kuhn lands the 3rd down back role..and maybe Haynes sticks around as a backup FB. I'd probably rather have Haynes than Barlow if I had to pick one of the 2.

Well this is what I'm thinking that Dookie wins the backup job to Willie and the 3rd down back.....No reason he couldn't handle both of those roles....

I'm not even counting Haynes since he will get hurt again...You know its going to happen Top.....:lol:

DIESELMAN
06-09-2007, 04:04 PM
"I want to be a 'who can' guy," said Davenport. "You have three kinds of guys, a 'who can' guy, a 'question mark,' and a 'can't' guy. Being a who can guy is a guy who can do anything you ask him to do and do it good – returning kicks, blocking punts, making first downs, scoring touchdowns, short yardage, blocking, picking up blitzes. It's about being a 'who can' guy."

Thats a jam up attitude right there, whatever he can do to help the team win is what its all about. :bigthumb:

RckyMtnStlrFan
06-10-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't understand why some people keep thinking Dookie is the second coming of Jim Brown?lol He is a good player for depth purposes and has the chance to be a really solid third down back especially if he picks up the blitz on a consistent basis...But he is nothing more then that....

I hope he wins the 3rd down back competition...I want Haynes gone since Haynes will get hurt again. In five year Haynes has had three season ending injuries....lol

:ditto: