PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Washington hopes to minimize 'mishaps'

SteelersWoman
06-08-2007, 04:44 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/rss/s_511374.html

By John Harris (jharris@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, June 7, 2007

Nate Washington calls dropped passes "mishaps."
By definition, a mishap brings misfortune. Just ask any Steelers wide receiver.
A dropped pass is just cause to be ridiculed on talk shows and in local newspapers. "I had a couple of mishaps last year, but that was me playing on pins and needles," Washington said, following a voluntary workout at the Steelers' South Side facility. "I'm still sitting on pins and needles, but the needles are becoming a lot more dull."

Washington was one of the Steelers' most pleasant surprises last season, a real feel-good story.

"I needed that," Washington said. "Last year, they gave me the opportunity to go make plays. It's just me becoming more comfortable with the offense, becoming more comfortable with the NFL -- period.
"I'm not worried about the naysayers. The guys that I line up with, that's who I'm worried about. I want those guys to be able to look at me in the clutch."
So, in spite of those bothersome drops, including missing a potential touchdown grab in a loss against Cincinnati, Washington led Steelers receivers with a 17.8-yard average. He caught 35 passes for 624 yards and four touchdowns last season.
So what that he could have had 37 or 38 catches?
So what that he made his share of mistakes?
Who can forget the motion penalty Washington received at the end of the Atlanta game that prevented the Steelers from attempting the tying field goal?
Conversely, don't forget his acrobatic, 27-yard touchdown catch in the opener against Miami, his 47-yard touchdown catch against Kansas City or his 49-yard touchdown catch against Cleveland.
Three touchdown catches -- three Steelers wins.
Don't forget his ability to stretch the field as well as any Steelers receiver.
Moreover, the incalculable experience Washington gleaned from last season after barely playing as a rookie -- not to mention the big plays he made, and, yes, the inner strength he acquired from those dreaded drops -- was beneficial.
Washington expects to have a big 2007 season. Not bad for a product of Division II Tiffin who wasn't even drafted.
"I'm more comfortable and confident," Washington said. "I used to worry so much about this play or what kind of defense are they running. It's just coming natural now. I'm able to play football a lot better."
Said new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who was Washington's former receivers coach: "When you're from a small college, the first thing you have to overcome is the fact that I do belong. He went through that. He got thrown in the fire last year. He was basically a rookie.
"When you look at him as a rookie, he was outstanding."
Arians said Washington's play improved when he replaced the injured Hines Ward against Tampa Bay. In his first NFL start, Washington had three catches for a career-high 78 yards.
"I think the big thing for him is when Hines was injured and he started, we won football games," said Arians, who indicated Washington may be the team's second-best blocking receiver behind Ward. "He made big plays in the Cleveland and Tampa Bay games that should give him the confidence he can play at this level." Not to mention keeping those annoying drops to a minimum.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-08-2007, 05:58 AM
Nate Washington calls dropped passes "mishaps."

We can't have many of those "mishaps" this season; we need Nate to step up this year and be counted on. He's primed to take that 3rd WR spot and run with it so this is his time to shine.

Stlrs4Life
06-08-2007, 09:13 AM
I for one hope so. I've liked Nate. And was dissappointed in him a little.

25MVPKing
06-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Another with potential. It would be nice to see the two "rookies" Holmes and Washington have breakout years as well as see Reid and Baker have the kind of positive impact Holmes and Washington had last year.

It's hard to get the ball to those four plus Ward and still have passes left for Miller and Speath, but 16 games give lots of opportunity and if Black@Gold Forever 32 is right, Ben might have a career year.

SteelersWoman
06-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Reading some of the bad--AND good things he did last year reminds me of that line from the story Tale of Two Cities where it said "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times".

I liked him, and saw (as I've said in other threads) flashes of what could be greatness. I hadn't known what his stats were til readin that article, but they kind of back up what I thought I saw.

I was just shocked and so disappointed at some of the "mishaps" since it seemed they were so avoidable, but I was (and still AM) willing to mark it down to being a rookie and being nervous. I just sure hope he can get rid of those needles he was talkin about. If he can, I think we've got another great receiver on our hands.

K Train
06-08-2007, 01:29 PM
i think hes gonna be great....bunch of haters! lol