PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben's New Deal Will Cost Pittsburgh Dearly

SteelersWoman
06-05-2007, 06:53 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/05/24/big-bens-new-deal-will-cost-pittsburgh-dearly/

Posted May 24th 2007 7:47PM by JJ Cooper (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/bloggers/jj-cooper/)

How crazy is this. Even though Ben Roethlisberger won't be a free agent until after the 2009 season, it's already time to start talking about his contract extension (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07144/788646-66.stm). And considering this is the Steelers we're talking about, that negotiation will end up being one of the craziest in Pittsburgh history.

No one expects a new deal to be done before 2008, but it's going to be such a complicated contract with the escalators, option bonuses and other cap friendly devices that the two sides are already holding preliminary talks to start laying the groundwork.

Despite the Steelers' reputation for stinginess, they've rarely let guys go who they really wanted to keep, and Roethlisberger would seem to rank No. 1 on the list of Steelers long-term contract priorities. But what will be interesting is seeing by how much Roethlisberger's deal blows away the Steelers' record for a signing bonus.

Pittsburgh has never given a player a $10-million+ signing bonus. As a family-owned team the Steelers at one point didn't have the cash to throw around that kind of money, now it seems to be more of a decision to avoid writing a check that large. As this Post-Gazette story points out Kordell Stewart still earned the second largest signing bonus in team history with a deal that was signed in 1998.

To put it in perspective, Tom Brady's new deal, signed before the most recent CBA, included a $14.5 million signing bonus (http://www.patscap.com/capfootnotes.html). Peyton Manning's new deal signed in 2004 included a $34.5 million signing bonus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Manning). Of course Manning's deal also has given the Colts plenty of salary cap heartburn over the year. Hopefully Pittsburgh will convince Roethlisberger to follow Brady's lead and sign a massive, but not record-breaking contract to help ensure the team can surround him with quality players as well. But it is safe to say that Roethlisberger's next contract will leave any other Steelers contract, including Troy Polamalu's potential new deal, in the dust.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-05-2007, 06:57 PM
He first has to prove he is worth that kind of money....If Ben bounces back strong and shows he is a franchise QB then by all means give him the damn money...

Stairwayto7
06-05-2007, 07:01 PM
When he has a huge season this year, he will prove his worth!

Captcoolhand
06-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Being that Roethlisberger's contract isn't in dire need at this point, i think they should be considering Troys Contract first. :2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-05-2007, 07:04 PM
When he has a huge season this year, he will prove his worth!

I think he will to Cleve....Just saying first he has to show he is worthy of being paid like a franchise QB.....thats all

Stairwayto7
06-05-2007, 07:11 PM
I think he will to Cleve....Just saying first he has to show he is worthy of being paid like a franchise QB.....thats all

I agree with you, I`m just showing my faith!:cope:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-05-2007, 07:13 PM
I agree with you, I`m just showing my faith!:cope:

Oh I have faith in Big Ben trust me....I have been saying since 2006 that Ben will throw for 30 TDs in a season...Last year I was wrong but this year I will be right (I think)......:lol:

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-05-2007, 07:17 PM
They definitely have to have an eye on Ben's contract but I agree let's take care of Troy first !!

PsychoWard
06-05-2007, 07:17 PM
hell yeah i agree he will prove himself this year!!! go big ben and get what you deserve!:cope::cope::cope::cope:

SteelerSal
06-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I love Ben as much as everyone else here, but, he needs to rebound from last season and have a couple of consistant "great" seasons before he gets the label of "Franchise QB" in my opinion.
Troy has proven his worth consistantly, week to week and he should be first priority.

I hope Ben can shake off last seasons cob webs and show the Rooney's that he is the QB worthy of a big contract.

DIESELMAN
06-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Most definitely do Troy first. Its good that they are looking at Ben's contract now, who knows what *** owner will overpay for a QB in a year or two. Ben definitely needs to step up and prove he is worthy of a big time contract.

BB2W
06-05-2007, 08:45 PM
He first has to prove he is worth that kind of money....If Ben bounces back strong and shows he is a franchise QB then by all means give him the damn money...I agree... I'm glad to hear talks about an extension are underway, but I don't want to see them give him the bank just yet. An incentive laden contract seems like the right way to go.

:2cents:

Steelerlyn
06-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Ben appears to have a level head on him. I would hope he would follow Jerome Bettis and be honored to be a Pittsburgh Steeler as opposed to being one of the most highly paid qbs in the NFL. If, and that is a huge if, he proves himself to be what he was in his rookie year (which he won't) he would be deserving of a conservative gazillions. The reason I say he will not be what he was in his rookie year is because he came in here with a ton of raw talent (so did Kordell Stewart), After his rookie year,the pros chose to teach Ben how to be a QB. (These coaches have to do something to earn there hundreds of thousands a year); I predict Ben will never be as good as he was. We will see though :tt02:

TEEMONT
06-05-2007, 09:29 PM
If someone esle offers him more money, I guarantee you Ben will be gone.

K Train
06-05-2007, 09:33 PM
they wont let that happen if they really want him because they are working out the deal to be done by 08, his contract is up after 09

BlitzburghRockCity
06-05-2007, 10:34 PM
He first has to prove he is worth that kind of money....If Ben bounces back strong and shows he is a franchise QB then by all means give him the damn money...

:iagree: :iagree: If he has a solid year this year then he's definitely going to get paid and it better be by us ! I want him to finish his career in Pittsburgh.

His contract though is going to be insane there's just no 2 ways about it.

Stlrs4Life
06-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Seems to me like the Media is the one doing the contract negotiations!

Steelerlyn
06-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Seems to me like the Media is the one doing the contract negotiations!

LOL excellent observation! We are gonna hear about this for the next 2 years!~

BlitzburghRockCity
06-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Got that right, and just think what happens once they actually start negoiations :eek: If the team is smart they'll do it in secret and then one day just come out with a "guess what, we signed Ben to an extension" statement !

Iron City South
06-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm sorry, I just can't put that much stock in an article that uses Brady and Manning as the benchmarks for what Roethlisberger might get.

Let's get one things straight, I like Roethlisberger as a Steeler just as much as the next guy .... but Ben is no Brady or Manning.

Just keep'in it real.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-05-2007, 11:49 PM
He's no Brady or Manning..................yet. Im not saying that Ben will have the numbers that Manning does but he's got the potential to do what Brady has done if he stays healthy and everything falls into place.

He may still bomb out but all indications are, IMO, that Ben is on the track now to succeed so we'll see what happens :crossfingers:

SteelersWoman
06-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Big Ben still has things to learn, but after last year's disaster, there's no WAY he's lettin that happen again. He's wanting to redeem himself, for sure. He's showing a different work ethic, getting in a LOT of work with his receivers and TEs, is goin into this healthy, and seems more poised than ever. I have the feelin he'll do VERY well this season.

As far as the contract--if it were up to me, I'd wait til at LEAST mid-way through the season to make sure he's snapped out of his funk before doin any negotiating at all with his agent. Besides--there's PLENTY of time for all that to be worked out before his contract's up.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-06-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm sorry, I just can't put that much stock in an article that uses Brady and Manning as the benchmarks for what Roethlisberger might get.

Let's get one things straight, I like Roethlisberger as a Steeler just as much as the next guy .... but Ben is no Brady or Manning.

Just keep'in it real.

But look at the contract Matt Schaub just got from the Texans....What does he have like 3 career starts? So Ben is going to get paid and since he has a Super Bowl ring will factor in that...You know his agent is going to use that as a reason to get more money.....If Ben has a big year this year then his price goes up more........

RckyMtnStlrFan
06-07-2007, 12:12 AM
I love Ben as much as everyone else here, but, he needs to rebound from last season and have a couple of consistant "great" seasons before he gets the label of "Franchise QB" in my opinion.
Troy has proven his worth consistantly, week to week and he should be first priority.

I hope Ben can shake off last seasons cob webs and show the Rooney's that he is the QB worthy of a big contract.

If Ben bounces back this season (which I think he will) He will have proven he had ONE bad year and is worthy of a big paycheck. 1 bad year out of four isn't bad. Especially since it wasn't completely his fault last year. It's pretty hard to complete passes on your back.

Ben IS our franchise QB. He proved it in 04 and 05. He'll prove it again this year.

:cope:Here's to Ben:cope: