PDA

View Full Version : He's B-a-a-a-ck.....

DIESELMAN
06-05-2007, 03:52 AM
Willie Reid is out again with an injury, so the Steelers turned to an old face as a return man yesterday. They've also taken a liking to an undrafted rookie from a Division III school.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/43/436135.jpg

PITTSBURGH – The new punt returner – or at least he’s new to the position this year – drifted back to field the booming punt off the leg of rookie Dan Sepulveda.

He drifted, and he drifted, and he drifted, and then he put one hand back behind his head in a crude attempt to catch it. Of course, the ball banged off Ricardo Colclough’s hand for what would’ve been a fumble inside the 10-yard line.

It was Colclough’s first attempt at a punt return since his disastrous fumble cost the Steelers a game against the Cincinnati Bengalsmlast Sept. 24. Colclough rebounded yesterday at the Steelers’ OTA to catch the second punt. The third punt – he was among a group of four players – bounced off his chest before he corralled it.

The punt team then threw the next punt and Colclough caught it with ease. His chance at a kickoff was made easier by a simple lateral from an assistant coach. Colclough handled that one easily, too. He then went to the far field to work on returns after practice with special teams coach Bob Ligashesky.

Is this a major rehabilitation process? Shouldn’t Ligashesky first put Colclough on the couch and work his mind?

“He has a clean slate with us,” said Ligashesky, who used Colclough yesterday because “when someone goes down, you look for people.”

The “someone” down is punt returner Willie Reid, who’s entering his second week of inactivity because of another foot injury.

Last week, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians reported that Reid injured the same foot he injured last season, “but not in the same spot,” said Arians, who didn’t believe the injury to be serious.

Ligashesky wouldn’t comment on Reid’s injury, referring the questioner to trainer John Norwig. But since Norwig doesn’t discuss injuries with anyone but the head coach, and since Coach Mike Tomlin won’t discuss anything with reporters until the final day of spring workouts (June 14), the details of Reid’s injury are on hold.

So, Ligashesky is looking at returners such as Colclough, Santonio Holmes, Cedrick Wilson and a No. 14, a rookie who’s a core member of the ever-changing group of return men this spring.

Who’s number 14 anyway?

Chris Jackson from Millsaps College,” he said when asked to talk about himself. “I’ve taken maybe five back in my college career. They kind of like me. I’ve been catching a lot of punts, kickoffs; haven’t dropped any. They’re kind of giving me a shot back there.”

Millhaps?

“Millsaps,” Jackson said. “It’s a D-3 school in Jackson, Mississippi. Mike Dubose is the head coach there.”

Last year, Jackson (6-2, 205) led the Millsaps Majors with 65 receptions and 12 touchdowns. Three of those touchdowns came on returns. He averaged 15.5 per punt return (two TDs in same game) and 22.7 per kickoff return.

Jackson said “probably nine or 10 teams” wooed him after the draft, but he signed with the Steelers “because I like the Steelers, as far as their history goes. I want to become a part of the Steeler family.”

He has to like his place in the pecking order. He’s behind a player with a history of injuries and running even with a notorious fumbler. It’s an opportunity for Jackson.

“Yep, it is,” he said. “Take it to its best and go from there.”

By JimWexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted 4 June 2007

With Reid out, for who knows how long, this will be interesting who will be our returner. If it is Colclough, I hope its a different 2007 version of him. Don't know much about Jackson but it sounds like he's got a helluva lot better hands the Colclough.

stillers4me
06-05-2007, 06:43 AM
:smh2:

BB2W
06-05-2007, 07:21 AM
I thought this was gonna be a double thread about Haynes... much worse. :banging:

ARKIESTEEL
06-05-2007, 09:11 AM
They aint going to do this to me again this year..........somebody slap somebody:willybs::willybs::cursin::nono:

Ambridge
06-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I think Willie Reid's time with the team is growing short if he can't shake the injury bug.
IMO he's gone if he goes into training camp still injured or gets another injury during camp.

I don't care if it's only practice and you need bodies to return kickoffs and punts........I'd put the Steelers Team Trainer out there returning kicks before Ricardo Colclough.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-05-2007, 09:36 AM
OMG You have GOT to be kidding me !!! :cursin: :banging: He's injured again?? I don't care what kind of clean slate you want to give players; putting Coc back there to return kicks is a damn disaster in the making. Keep that dude away from returning kicks man, like Ambridge said put anybody out there but him. The dude is trouble with a capital T in the return game.

Maybe this Jackson kid can be a diamond in the rough for us. I sure hope so but it's obvious now that Reids injury could quite possibly be something chronic.

TEEMONT
06-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Could be worse...it coulda been about Duce.

Steelerlyn
06-05-2007, 10:49 AM
He needs conditioning bigtime, when a player gets hurt all the time it is typically because he is underconditioned.........which is in the coach's hands :(

floodcitygirl
06-05-2007, 10:50 AM
You would have to remind me of that Cincy game. This just can't happen again... :smh2:

introyitrust
06-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Come back Willie, COME BACK!!!

AZ_Steeler
06-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Are you kidding me!!! What is Tomlin smoking??? Hasn't he watched the film from last year??? Seriously though... there are a ton of other options besides Ricardo... :smh2:

K Train
06-05-2007, 11:56 AM
i thought this was about duce, and even though it fills me full of rage to hear anything about cocface on our team. At least we'll know whos capable of doing it.

Was great is hearing about D-sep embarraging the returners and making them fumble lol

Iron City South
06-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Mark it down: If Colclough is returning punts this year for the Steelers, whatever record you had for them in your mind . . . subtract 2 games from the win column.

K Train
06-05-2007, 12:47 PM
i really doubt he will be, someone will show him up

Black@Gold Forever32
06-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Ok it seems Willie Reid might be alittle soft....Really he needs to tough up some if he ever wants to make it in the NFL.....especially as a return man....As for Colclough, I hope to God that the coaches find somebody else quick....I rather have Holmes returning kicks and I don't want Holmes either....I just think Santonio needs to concentrate on being a WR.....Let the kid from the Div. III school have a shot at the job since Reid seems to be alittle wuss.......lol

K Train
06-05-2007, 01:40 PM
i dont think hes a wuss, he might be a little to fearless but that wont bother me if we ever get to use him as a returner lol

Black@Gold Forever32
06-05-2007, 02:04 PM
i dont think hes a wuss, he might be a little to fearless but that wont bother me if we ever get to use him as a returner lol

Dude this latest foot injury seems like its going to be 2006 all over again for Willie Reid....I hope I'm wrong but when I start hearing about his foot being hurt yet again....How can I really think any different?....If he stays healthy he will be a badass return man in the NFL no doubt in my mind....Just keeping my :crossfingers: that Reid stays healthy....If not let the young kid from Div. III have a shot....

BRICKTOWN BEAST
06-05-2007, 02:31 PM
wow one of the things i was looking foward to was watching willie reid rutrun kicks. I hope his injury is better before preseason. and If you can catch Sepulvedas punts that can catch anyones.

SteelersWoman
06-05-2007, 02:59 PM
If at least 10 other teams showed interest in this kid Chris Jackson, he MUST show some really good promise as a returner.

Koopa
06-05-2007, 03:57 PM
i officially hate ried, i hate injury prone bitches, he's a hoe and should be cut, what a waste of another draft pick by bill cowher

Black@Gold Forever32
06-05-2007, 03:58 PM
i officially hate ried, i hate injury prone bitches, he's a hoe and should be cut, what a waste of another draft pick by bill cowher

:lol:You crack me up Koopa....

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Hell there has to be somebody on the team that can catch a punt...:dunno:

Koopa
06-05-2007, 04:10 PM
holmes did improve a lot throughout the season, i don't see why we don't just stick with him........

Black@Gold Forever32
06-05-2007, 04:13 PM
holmes did improve a lot throughout the season, i don't see why we don't just stick with him........

Good point...But I rather the young man just concentrate on being a badass WR for us Koopa.....Let Chris Jackson have a shot at it...Who knows he could suprise us all....

TEEMONT
06-05-2007, 04:16 PM
I'll return kicks...lol.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-05-2007, 04:16 PM
If at least 10 other teams showed interest in this kid Chris Jackson, he MUST show some really good promise as a returner.

That's a good point, and hopefully he's able to make this squad and nail down the return duties.

I really don't want Holmes out there returning punts. He's our starting WR and we can't afford to have go down. He's still learning how to be a great WR so he needs to concentrate fully on that IMO.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-05-2007, 04:22 PM
I'll return kicks...lol.

You're better then Colclough thats for sure...At least I'm sure you can actually field a punt and hold onto the ball unlike Ricardo....:lol:

That's a good point, and hopefully he's able to make this squad and nail down the return duties.

I really don't want Holmes out there returning punts. He's our starting WR and we can't afford to have go down. He's still learning how to be a great WR so he needs to concentrate fully on that IMO.

Yes that would suck if Holmes went down Top...I think Nate could do fine if Holmes did get hurt...But I really think Santonio is a special talent and we will see that talent his year....He is going to make alot of big plays in this offense this year....:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-05-2007, 04:42 PM
I wonder if Nate can return punts :dunno: Hell at this point I'd rather have Casey Hampton back there than Coc ! :lol:

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Ohh this is about Ricardo...I thought it was about HoS....:lol::banana:

BRICKTOWN BEAST
06-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Yeah I can't think of anyone that could tackle Casey Hampton

SteelerSal
06-05-2007, 07:20 PM
I would rather see us rush everybody and attempt to block a punt than have Chokelee return a punt.:2cents:

Also Reid was a hell of a return man at FSU and he would of made all of us forget about Randle El, last season, if he could of stayed healthy.

DIESELMAN
06-05-2007, 07:36 PM
I hated to post this and get everybody riled up :lol: I do not want Ricardo back their either, I'm really hoping this Jackson kid makes us forget about last year.

Stlrs4Life
06-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I think Willie Reid's time with the team is growing short if he can't shake the injury bug.
IMO he's gone if he goes into training camp still injured or gets another injury during camp.

I don't care if it's only practice and you need bodies to return kickoffs and punts........I'd put the Steelers Team Trainer out there returning kicks before Ricardo Colclough.

Exactly, this is rediculous, should have known him being a Seminole! (Hope Timmons changes this scheme)

SteelerFan87
06-06-2007, 06:43 PM
When I saw the title I thought this thread was about Kordell Stewart being back in town for the opening of Jerome's restaurant. :lol:

BlitzburghNation
06-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Please not Cough-it-uply :popcorn:

Santonio Holmes was doing much better at end of season :dunno:

Probably won't use him being he's our #2 WR :scratch: