PDA

View Full Version : Running back Haynes re-signs with Steelers

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Running back Haynes re-signs with Steelers
Monday, June 04, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Veteran running back Verron Haynes, released by the Steelers in March, re-signed with the ballclub today.

Haynes, who was with the Steelers the past five seasons, had surgery on a knee last fall after it was injured in a game at Oakland Oct. 29. He has been rehabilitating his knee at the Steelers facility this year.

Haynes played in seven games last season and rushed for 78 yards and caught 18 passes. He has played in 60 games in his career, with 738 yards rushing and 57 receptions.

Haynes had been the Steelers third-down back the past several seasons but will compete for that job with newly signed veteran running back Kevan Barlow and returning veteran Najeh Davenport.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07155/791430-100.stm

Talk about a crowded backfield situation...

Black@Gold Forever32
06-04-2007, 05:51 PM
It won't be crowded for long.....We all know Haynes will get hurt sometime this year like he does every year....lol

Prosdo
06-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Looks like the Steelers will have lots of options this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah I agree...what was once a concern with literally very players on the roster just a month ago has suddenly turned into a crowded situation of players all trying to nail down a few roster spots.

Verron has the experience and he can play FB so that will help his cause but it depends on how healthy he really is and if he can take the pounding again. We need some of these guys to step up because as it stands right now behind Willie we have a bunch of unproven players.

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-04-2007, 05:57 PM
We need some of these guys to step up because as it stands right now behind Willie we have a bunch of unproven players.

Haynes played in seven games last season and rushed for 78 yards and caught 18 passes. He has played in 60 games in his career, with 738 yards rushing and 57 receptions.

I wouldn't exactly call these stats proven...

SteelerSal
06-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah I agree...what was once a concern with literally very players on the roster just a month ago has suddenly turned into a crowded situation of players all trying to nail down a few roster spots.

Verron has the experience and he can play FB so that will help his cause but it depends on how healthy he really is and if he can take the pounding again. We need some of these guys to step up because as it stands right now behind Willie we have a bunch of unproven players.

This is more than likely the only reason for the signing. I would like to add, IMO, that Haynes has done a good job at RB, in the past, when healthy.
Also maybe Barlow has not impressed the coaching staff so far.

Ambridge
06-04-2007, 06:24 PM
I don't think Verron makes the final roster.

K Train
06-04-2007, 06:27 PM
hes a bitch, we brought him in so we can cut him, not ot play FB, we are phasing out the FB with al these new formations. He sucks, we are stacked at RB now, with a bunch of scrubs :smh2:

Koopa
06-04-2007, 07:39 PM
yes!! this means kuhn has no chance in hell of every being in the nfl...... maybe he can make a team when ufl gets their leauge started

Stlrs4Life
06-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Good for competiton, but, not overly impressed with Haynes. Injured alot also.

BlitzburghNation
06-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Uh,,,,,,, :scratch: Ummm,,,,,,,,,,:dunno: Well ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :scratch:

Don't know what to really say about our RB's except I really hope parker stays
Healthy :crossfingers:

But I will pull for all of them wearing the B&G :tt02:

Just don't get the direction we are going in at RB ,,,,,,,, :scratch:

Iron City South
06-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Let's see .... on one side I have a healthy Kuhn who is an absolute BEAST and on the other side I have an experienced guy on a gimpy wheel who may be one shot away from never play again that can play some full back.

Yep, I know where my money is on who's making the team.

K Train
06-04-2007, 09:44 PM
kuhn? an absolute beast? try again

Iron City South
06-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Dude, I hate to break the news to 'ya buy Kuhn is our 3rd team RB right now. Yep, ahead of Barlow and behind Davenport. Kuhn turned heads last year in pre-season and made the most of EVERY opportunity that he was granted. If I remember correctly he had a lot of people talking. The man is an exceptional athlete with great size and loves to dish out pain.

K Train
06-04-2007, 10:29 PM
i'll believe it when i see it

Iron City South
06-04-2007, 10:31 PM
i'll believe it when i see it

Fair enough .. :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Kuhn is a beast, this kid is really got some potential and he's cheap and he's healthy and he's hungry. That's more than we can say for nearly every back in our stable right now.

Koopa
06-04-2007, 11:10 PM
kuhn turned heads??? hahahahahahahahahahaha, that's why he was cut and no one signed him so he had to go on the practice squad

and dookie is the third down back even though he's the back up

ppl only say kuhn is good cause of where he played, and that's it, it's that unconsious biasness......... the location of the dude blinds ppl most of the time............. but kuhn was far from impressive, he was just aight enough to be invited back when the season was over

BlitzburghRockCity
06-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Kuhn was in the middle of a crowded backfield full of "cowher guys" and that's a fact :yesnod: Granted he's had his chances to impress yes, which is why he keeps getting invited back. This is his year to shine. I don't particularly care where he played his college ball but the fact is he can play FB and RB, he's young and healthy and ready to learn and help the team. I do think it's cool that he's a local guy though. Im pulling for him :bigthumb:

He's got his best shot to date to make this team and contribute so he's got to take advantage of it or he'll end just another statistic in a long line of players who couldn't quite make it. :crossfingers:

Koopa
06-04-2007, 11:21 PM
if he was that good why did dookie get the call, when they could've just went with him??? kuhn is not as good as ppl think

Iron City South
06-04-2007, 11:42 PM
if he was that good why did dookie get the call, when they could've just went with him??? kuhn is not as good as ppl think

Davenport got the call because 1) he's got starting experience which the Steelers desperately needed last year and 2) they got him on the cheap as a result of his injury. They rolled the dice on him and won. He wanted a change of scenery and he admittedly said Green Bay had a certain internal funk going on that he didn't like.

You're right ... Kuhn is not as good as people think, he's better.

RckyMtnStlrFan
06-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Kuhn is a beast, this kid is really got some potential and he's cheap and he's healthy and he's hungry. That's more than we can say for nearly every back in our stable right now.

:iagree: The biggest thing is Kuhn is a good athlete and is hungry. Like most have said Haynes is prone to injury. I think he was signed just to keep the competition going and to make everyone else step it up. Haynes won't be on the roster come September.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Im telling ya Koop, when this kid makes the roster and contributes in a positive way you'll see the light dude :bluelol:

Honestly, having a RB stable with Davenport, Barlow, Haynes, and Kuhn along with a couple of UDFA's thrown in isn't the most appealing scenario but it is what it is so we need to hope that we get atleast a couple of them to step up and take the roster spots.

Koopa
06-05-2007, 12:02 AM
my guarantee still stands, he'll never make an impact on this team

BlitzburghRockCity
06-05-2007, 01:15 AM
Here's some more info on the signing. I know my wife is definitely happy, she love Haynes !

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Verron Haynes returned to the playing field Monday for the first time since sustaining what he feared might be a career-ending knee injury.

And as much resolve as the fifth-year veteran showed while rehabilitating his reconstructed left knee, Haynes appears equally determined to force his way into the Steelers' equation at running back if not reclaim his role as third-down back.

He said he has made such strides during rehabilitation sessions at the Steelers' South Side practice facility and in Atlanta that he doesn't expect to be the same player that he was, but even better.

"(The left) leg is stronger than the other one," Haynes said after re-signing with the Steelers and taking part in a voluntary practice, "so I'm very excited about this opportunity to get back out there and just showcase my talent again."

story continues below

Haynes tore his ACL as well as other ligaments during a game Oct. 29 in Oakland.

He underwent surgery less than a week later and got good news: He didn't suffer any nerve damage.

The Steelers released him at the beginning of March for salary-cap reasons but promised Haynes they would re-sign him if he showed he would be back to full strength for training camp.

He passed a physical Thursday, putting him a couple of months ahead of the original recovery schedule and clearing his return to football.

"I dug down deep and found out a lot about myself, and adversity, I think, it brings out character," said Haynes, who signed a one-year, incentive-laden deal.

"He's never approached his recovery as 'I want to get back to where I was,' " said Ryan Tollner, Haynes' agent. "He's approached it as 'I want to be better than I ever was.' "

The 5-foot-10, 222-pound Haynes had been a reliable third-down back and proved to be particularly adept at picking up blitzes before being hurt. His return to the Steelers will add to the competition for playing time behind Willie Parker.

"It's the more the better when it comes to competition, because that's what they thrive off of. That's what they fear, the thought of losing a job, and it drives and pushes our group," Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson said.

There will be plenty of competition for the role of third-down back.

Najeh Davenport filled it last season after Haynes went down, and the recently signed Kevan Barlow showed during his years with the 49ers that he can be effective as a third-down back.

Parker is also a possibility, since the Steelers are intrigued with the prospect of taking advantage of his speed in open space.

"We've just got to keep giving everybody an opportunity to see where they fit in once we start (training camp)," Wilson said. "They're getting after it, and when they're not in there they're mad because they want a chance to get after it. It's healthy. It's good for the group."

The one thing that Haynes said he has to overcome in regard to his knee injury is the mental aspect -- specifically having the confidence to make the kind of cuts he did before he was hurt.

"I feel better than I ever did -- quick, fast -- so just stay focused and get over the hurdle, that babying it and all that," said Haynes, who has rushed for 738 yards and three touchdowns in 60 career games with the Steelers. "You've just got to let it go."

Blitzburghpete
06-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Well if no one else is gonna say it i'm really chuffed that Haynes has resigned and i hope he prooves all you doubters wrong.

He's done everything asked of him and yeah his stats aren't wonderful but then how are you meant to get reps when your behind a certain hall of fame running back and now one of the top 5 backs in the league ?

Given the chance i think he has more to show.

:bigthumb::tt02::tt02::tt02::cope::cope::cope::tt0 2::tt02::tt02::bigthumb:

Iron City South
06-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Chuffed? ..... Well then, that takes it to a "whole'nova level" now doesn't it?

Blitzburghpete
06-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Chuffed? ..... Well then, that takes it to a "whole'nova level" now doesn't it?

LOL!! :lol::lol::lol:

Perhaps not the phrase i intended so lets just say i'm happy!! heheh
Or maybe

Top Banana

:banana::banana::banana:

Captcoolhand
06-05-2007, 07:18 PM
we needed to sign another RB like we need to sign Lee Mayes:banging: I'm sure the is just an able body for training camp.:2cents:

SteelerSal
06-05-2007, 07:35 PM
He's done everything asked of him and yeah his stats aren't wonderful but then how are you meant to get reps when your behind a certain hall of fame running back and now one of the top 5 backs in the league ?Given the chance i think he has more to show.

:bigthumb::tt02::tt02::tt02::cope::cope::cope::tt0 2::tt02::tt02::bigthumb:

:plus1: No one here knows for sure if Barlow or the UFA RB's are impressing the coaches. If they are not, a healthy Haynes is a good option to have on our team.