PDA

View Full Version : Parker doesn't mind sharing the load

BlitzburghRockCity
06-03-2007, 01:30 AM
http://news.steelers.com/article/76912/

Friday, June 1, 2007

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com Notebook

Running back Willie Parker carried the load for the Steelers ground game last season, but he wouldn't mind having someone in the backfield to help with some of the carries.

"I think the two-back system will work very well here in Pittsburgh," said Parker, who indicated that sharing the load can help make his career last longer.

That help could come from veteran running backs Najeh Davenport or Kevan Barlow, who signed with the team just before mini-camp.

"Those guys are great running backs," said Parker. "Barlow is a downhill runner. We have been looking for that. Najeh is both downhill and he has some moves. I think those guys will bring great things to the offense."

But, don't think for a minute that Parker wants to give away all of the carries. After a Pro Bowl season in 2006, he wants to go back to Hawaii after the 2007 season.

"I want to get back to the Pro Bowl," said Parker. "It's more on my shoulders now so I am going to work hard at it. I don't look at it as coming off a Pro Bowl season. I just look at it as I am the same guy just trying to make it and I am going to work hard."

While the offense is learning some new plays, the defense is mainly getting a refresher course during the team's OTA's.

"Basically right now we are relearning the defenses, putting in some new defenses and trying to get an all-around feel for each other," said linebacker James Harrison. "It's easier for the defense since we are still basically the same defense."

Im anxious to see what these new defenses are and how much they will help us bring the heat back into our defense.

I don't think there's room on the team for both Barlow and Davenport so I look for one of them to make the team as the backup while the other spot will go to one of the young guys. :2cents:

K Train
06-03-2007, 01:41 AM
najeh>barlow

Iron City South
06-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Parker
Davenport
Barlow
Kuhn
Haynes (??? ... if they take him back)

I hate to see Kuhn down there at the #4 spot simply because he doesn't have starting experience. He's a "HAMMER" and I think he has a lot to offer.

K Train
06-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Barlow is a bitch and until i see him get through a minicamp without having to sit out with an injury...he is still a bitch.

I heard Gary Russel punked him in every aspect of the game at the last minicamp

Iron City South
06-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Barlow is a bitch and until i see him get through a minicamp without having to sit out with an injury...he is still a bitch.

I heard Gary Russel punked him in every aspect of the game at the last minicamp

Agreed. I look at Barlow as "soft" and until he proves me wrong, I'll continue feeling that way. I would love to see Barlow and Kuhn go 1 on 1 ....

"Hammer meet nail" :chair:

Captcoolhand
06-03-2007, 11:06 AM
I know that we all heard this before but There is just something about Parker that I just can't get sold on....... I know that he has proved himself capable of gaining the yds but He's soft in other aspects of the game.:yesnod: Just my:2cents:

Iron City South
06-03-2007, 11:22 AM
I kind of know what you mean, but you have to stop and consider that;

1) Parker is still young and learning the game.
2) He's been running behind a line that has had it's share of problems the past few years
3) He's running plays in a antiquated playbook that was designed for Bettis to primarily run between the tackles. They never really altered the playbook to play to Parker's strengths to the outside or using single back sets.
4) Steeler fans aren't used to owning a Ferrari in the backfield. We never had one before. We've always had that ol' relible Chevy truck that took us up the middle for a few yards at a time.

There's no question Parker is special. This year could be the year he really makes a name for himself considering some of the changes I've been hearing about.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-03-2007, 12:02 PM
I think most of us here believe in Willie and know that he can do the job. He did very well last year considering how bad the team was. The good thing is that with all the success he's had in the last 2 years of really getting more playing time, he's not been in a system that is built for him. He's spent his career with us so far in a power back "bus" type system that was in place way before he got here so basically he had to adapt. Players do need to be able to adapt so it's not that a team should build their offense around just 1 player but at the same time Cowher was unwilling to change his offensive philosphy to suit his players strengths at all, IMO.

I like where the offense is going at this point and the way that Willie will get a chance to really showcase his talents and be successful in the coming years in this new regime. This new offense that spreads things out more, that still believes in running the ball but also utilizes different blocking schemes with more personnel available to do multiple functions should really benefit him.

Stlrs4Life
06-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Of course Barlow is soft, he's from Pitt.

steelcurtain09
06-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Of course Barlow is soft, he's from Pitt.

yeah we all know how good and tough those PSU backs are...

BlitzburghRockCity
06-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Yeah that Curtis Martin guy was a real softy :lol:

K Train
06-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Parker is not soft, the dude runs extremely hard for his size and speed. He falls forward and hits the hole hard. He might not be as strong as a big guy but he runs bigger than he is.

SteelersWoman
06-03-2007, 07:27 PM
..He might not be as strong as a big guy but he runs bigger than he is.

I like that! Well stated in one sentence or under K Train :bigthumb:

House of Steel
06-03-2007, 07:29 PM
I couldn't had said it better, K Train. Nice Quote!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
06-03-2007, 07:56 PM
I guess breaking a Super Bowl record for longest TD in Super Bowl history.....Breaking the Steelers single season TD record....Breaking the Steelers single game rushing marks...Also being the only back to have 2 200 rushing yard games in franchise history isn't enough for some people?

I don't know what Willie Parker has to do for some people to get off his back? The guy was an undrafted FA....I think its safe to say he has passed all of our expectations and then some...Plus he has shown to be one of the best RBs in the NFL the last two years...He has done all of this in offense that didn't fit his strengths... When Willie runs for 1500-1700 yards this years and with double digit TDs again then will all the doubters go away?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Honestly I think Willie will probably always have his doubters regardless of what he does because he's not the prototypical Steelers RB that we've all been using to seeing since Franco. I love what the kid brings to our offense, I hope he does rush for 1500 yds and 15 TD's , that would be awesome and he's definitely capable of doing it.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Honestly I think Willie will probably always have his doubters regardless of what he does because he's not the prototypical Steelers RB that we've all been using to seeing since Franco. I love what the kid brings to our offense, I hope he does rush for 1500 yds and 15 TD's , that would be awesome and he's definitely capable of doing it.

I understand he isn't the typical power RB that Steelers fans are used to seeing...But I just don't why some people still question him? I think he has proven himself to be a very good NFL RB...Some Steelers fans just need to get over the fact he isn't a big power RB.....

K Train
06-03-2007, 09:10 PM
seriously, dont knock the guy because he isnt fat lol

Koopa
06-03-2007, 09:15 PM
I guess breaking a Super Bowl record for longest TD in Super Bowl history.....Breaking the Steelers single season TD record....Breaking the Steelers single game rushing marks...Also being the only back to have 2 200 rushing yard games in franchise history isn't enough for some people?

I don't know what Willie Parker has to do for some people to get off his back? The guy was an undrafted FA....I think its safe to say he has passed all of our expectations and then some...Plus he has shown to be one of the best RBs in the NFL the last two years...He has done all of this in offense that didn't fit his strengths... When Willie runs for 1500-1700 yards this years and with double digit TDs again then will all the doubters go away?

i like willie a lot, probably my 4th favorite player on the team.......... but for me to get off his case he's gonna have to do what he does on the road more often, not just when we play cleveland......... i wanna see him make an impact against good defenses, which he hasn't on the road very much

K Train
06-03-2007, 09:17 PM
ok something you cant expect him to do is put up big numbers against SD and JAX...the jax game was impossible, they tried to put him up the middle against mammoths. I blame cowhers gameplan alot for his shortcomings against teams that know how to play defense

Koopa
06-03-2007, 09:22 PM
ok something you cant expect him to do is put up big numbers against SD and JAX...the jax game was impossible, they tried to put him up the middle against mammoths. I blame cowhers gameplan alot for his shortcomings against teams that know how to play defense

at some point you got to stop blaming cowhers for the players short comings.......... willie couldn't do **** against really any team with legit defenes these last two years, especially on the road......... i hope he has learned to play on the road, cause road games are very important

Black@Gold Forever32
06-03-2007, 09:25 PM
i like willie a lot, probably my 4th favorite player on the team.......... but for me to get off his case he's gonna have to do what he does on the road more often, not just when we play cleveland......... i wanna see him make an impact against good defenses, which he hasn't on the road very much

Ok against the Chargers last year Willie had 14 carries for 57 yards with a TD. Thats 4.1 yards per carry and the Chargers had a very good defense....If Parker gets the ball more in that game then he tops 100 yards....He had 14 carries for 70 yards against Denver with a TD...Yes it wasn't on the road but the Broncos still have a good defense....

Yes he struggled bad vs the Jags and Ravens (both times).....But the whole Steelers offense didn't do much in those three games...So it just wasn't Willie that struggled in those three games....

All I'm saying people need to quit knocking since he is one of the best players on the team and has exceeded our expectatons by far....

Hey LaDanian Tomlinson has been shut down the last two times he has faced the Steelers...I'm not comparing LT to Willie so don't go there...Just saying even the greatest RB in the game gets shut down by very good defenses at times.

K Train
06-03-2007, 09:27 PM
at some point you got to stop blaming cowhers for the players short comings.......... willie couldn't do **** against really any team with legit defenes these last two years, especially on the road......... i hope he has learned to play on the road, cause road games are very important

cowher tried to plug willie in an offense that was built around the bus for 10 years, sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt. You know cowhers gameplans were weak

BB2W
06-03-2007, 09:35 PM
I like Willie and I don't consider myself a doubter, but I would like to see him be more consistant. I beleive in the kid and he obviously can be a starting runningback in this league but I also think he can improve in some areas...

SteelerSal
06-04-2007, 11:47 AM
We will see Willie do what we expect him to do with this new offense that will involve a 3 TE set. This will bunch the defense and allow Willie to use his speed on the edge.
As ststed by K-train, our offense was built for a powerback and now it need to be revamped for speed. They have to adapt the offense to suit Willies strength. Example, Hershel Walker had the same problem when his strength was playing from the I- formation in Dallas which allowed him to play further back to find a hole and then when he was traded the the Vikings, he played singleback offset and pro formations that worked against him.