View Full Version : Steelers focused on the field

BlitzburghRockCity
05-31-2007, 07:33 AM
http://news.steelers.com/article/76887/

Steelers focused on the field
Thursday, May 31, 2007
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

It's a piece of paper with three simple words typed on it that is taped to the doors that lead from the locker room area to the fields at the UMPC Sports Performance Complex.

But those three words speak volumes for the approach the Steelers are taking this off-season.

It reads 'Take the Field.'

"When you take the field you take it to go out and take a step forward," said wide receiver Hines Ward. "Don't come out here if you have problems at home or whatever. Leave that outside of the facility.

"When you step on the field it's time to play football and guys are focusing on that. When we come out here this is our safe haven. It's all about football and we can just concentrate on that and go out and become better football players."

Ward talked about the commitment the players have to getting back to championship form this year following the team's OTA's on Wednesday. Football season might be months away, but the desire to win another championship is in the forefront of the players minds. And that is why they are working together, with veterans helping out rookies, and guys on offense helping defensive players and visa-versa.

"It's all about getting 53 guys to go out and help us win a championship," said Ward. "That's what this game is about.

"I think we do a lot of communicating with the wide outs and defensive backs. Even though we are competing against one another, we're all on the same team and we want to get everyone on the same page so we can all help each other to win a championship."

"That's what OTA's are all about. It's about communicating and getting one the same page so when training camp comes we are hitting on all cylinders."

The OTA's are also about putting a few new twists in to the playbook. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has made some changes, including working on the no-huddle offense, and Ward thinks the new twists will give them an edge.

"We're not going to be predictable," said Ward. "We're going to the defense on their heel. If we come out spreading the ball we're going to find ways to attack the defense."

Ward has noticed a change in quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, seeing the quarterback take a more vocal leadership role and it's something he thinks will benefit the team.

"He's the quarterback and that's his job," said Ward. "He is coming into his fourth year now and has been through a lot of ups and downs. He is a leader on this team. This game is built around the quarterback and you go as far as your quarterback takes you and he is realizing that He is emerging and growing every day we take the field."

I think we may have just found the battle cry for the 2007 season, 'Take the Field' !!

So far the team is doing all the right stuff this offseason, they're out on the field and working hard with each other. If they keep up this attitude and don't get burned out it's going to pay big dividends for us this season. :towelwave:

steelersgal86
05-31-2007, 07:53 AM
"Take the field" Great read...this is stuff we want to hear!!! :tt02:

DIESELMAN
05-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Its all about attitude and teamwork. It sounds like we are more focused already then we were all of last year. "Take the Field"!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-31-2007, 09:52 AM
Its all about attitude and teamwork. It sounds like we are more focused already then we were all of last year. "Take the Field"!!!!!

That's not saying much :lol: last year you could find more focus in a kindergarten classroom than we had for 2/3 of the year.

It's awesome to see the players staying the course in the offseason; we're setting ourselves up for success even as we speak :towelwave:

AZ_Steeler
05-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Focus was definitely missing from last years team... the coaching change couldn't have come at a better time! :cope:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Focus was definitely missing from last years team... the coaching change couldn't have come at a better time! :cope:

I agree AZ, the Steelers let the Super Bowl win get to their head last year and it looked to me that Cowher didn't have the same zest for coaching....So the coaching change was very needed in my mind...I have a feeling this season is going to be very exciting...

Stlrs4Life
05-31-2007, 05:23 PM

That's for sure. And I think weall assumed that they were focused to repeat.

BlitzburghNation
05-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Everything sounding great :bigthumb:

Let's hope in december it's still sounding great ,,,,,,,, :tt02::helmet::tt02: