PDA

View Full Version : New start up league could rival NFL.

Stlrs4Life
05-30-2007, 11:20 PM
FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 hour ago

The NFL may be the most successful league in the country, but that doesn't mean it's without competition.
Bill Hambrecht, a Wall Street businessman, and Tim Armstrong, a senior executive at Google, have decided to start up a rival football league, the United Football League, according to a report on the New York Times web site Wednesday.For those worried that the UFL will lack name recognition, Hambrecht and Armstrong already have one owner lined up: Mark Cuban, the billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks.
And though the league is having a difficult time finding other owners, it appears Cuban is committed to the plan. The league intends to play its first preseason games in August of 2008.
And where will the league find the talent necessary to attract fans?
"(Former NFL coach) Bill Walsh used to tell me that the last 20 players cut from every team were almost interchangeable with the last 20 players to make the team," Hambrecht says.
So far, the UFL has decided to put teams in Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Mexico City. Cuban, unsurprisingly, is considering buying the team in Vegas, according to the report.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-30-2007, 11:23 PM
This leauge will fail just like all the others that tried to challenge the NFL.....Yes the Arena League has been going for 20 years but the USFL and the XFL failed.....

K Train
05-30-2007, 11:28 PM
wow, i admire the attempt but its not gonna happen lol, AFL is around and its limping compared to the NFL, the NFL will always reign supreme in football unless something terrible happens to it

kgreen
05-31-2007, 12:00 AM
So now we got the UFL. You know why even try? Let's recap what expansion leagues hasn't worked:
-WFL
-XFL
-USFL

This won't work. Too much love and passion for the NFL for this to work. Personally I will find it hard to get into.

steelcurtain09
05-31-2007, 02:11 PM
it has a pretty good following
it would run in the offseason like the AFL
it has some of the first 20 players off most of the NFL rosters
it will draw some from the fans of teams who cant get enough footbal

PsychoWard
05-31-2007, 02:34 PM
So now we got the UFL. You know why even try? Let's recap what expansion leagues hasn't worked:
-WFL
-XFL
-USFL

This won't work. Too much love and passion for the NFL for this to work. Personally I will find it hard to get into.

i agree it is a good thought but it will never work!

Prosdo
05-31-2007, 03:51 PM
I just don't see it working.

House of Steel
05-31-2007, 04:38 PM
It won't even get off the ground. What a waste of time and money.

BBG7
05-31-2007, 04:44 PM
I agree....won't work!

25MVPKing
05-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Why won't it work?

Not why won't it work for everyone, why will you not watch?

I don't think it will work either, but I realize they're not expecting to compete with NFL teams for top quality players and therefore, have a chance at filling in the offseason need for football. I don't watch NFL Europe, but I watch AFL.

If I can root for an NCAA team on Saturdays and an AFL team during the spring, I can certainly root for a UFL during the summer. 2nd tier football is better than anything the MLB does before September, excluding the AllStar break.

BlitzburghNation
05-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Randy cross was mentioning this on sirius N.F.L. Radio this morning and he was saying that mark could send 75 mill to him & his partners at sirius,,,,
Since he likes throwing money away ,,,,,, :haha:

IMO---- Will not have a chance in hell, I tried to get in th XFL but i couldn't stand it & never made it through a whole game !

N.F.L. is king and there's no-more room for any other league's,,,,:popcorn: