PDA

View Full Version : News and Notes from mini camp.....

DIESELMAN
05-30-2007, 05:52 AM
PITTSBURGH – The Steelers’ fourth voluntary OTA workout was sprinkled with new starters:

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/34/343527.jpg

· The wide receivers were excused, so Cedrick Wilson and Nate Washington stepped up.

· Clint Kriewaldt did the same at inside buck linebacker for the missing James Farrior. Bryant McFadden played right cornerback in place of Deshea Townsend, but, then again, McFadden and Townsend swapped places several times last season.

· The only noteworthy change was Willie Colon at right tackle over a healthy Max Starks, who played left tackle with the second line.

For experience and informational purposes, it was a change that helps Colon, Starks and new offensive line coach Larry Zierlein, but it also marked the first time Colon played ahead of a healthy Starks. “That definitely doesn’t mean I’ve got the spot,” Colon said. “They want to see if I can fit the mold, see how I do out there with the first-teamers, and try to build something with them. He’s trying different guys in different roles.”

Colon was a fourth-round draft pick out of Hofstra last year and impressed the coaching staff because he didn’t back down from anyone. In other words, he didn’t act like a rookie.

He ended up starting the last two games last season when Starks was hobbled by a knee injury, and Colon played well enough that many observers were surprised when the Steelers gave Starks a first-round tender in restricted free agency three months ago. However, the Steelers haven’t signed Starks to a long-term deal, and yesterday they took a peek at Colon.

“I think I do have a legitimate shot. I think that’s obvious,” Colon said. “I’ve been working just as hard as him, if not harder. It’s for him to try to maintain and for me to take. That’s my mentality.”

Colon, at 6-3, 315, is built like a guard, but hasn’t received any reps at either guard position this spring. He has remained after practice to help out at center, as he does in the warm-up.
“They asked me if I can do it and I said, yeah, I can. I’m an emergency center,” he said.

Colon said his primary concern at right tackle is building a rapport with first-team right guard Kendall Simmons. Colon also agreed with the obvious, that he’s well ahead of where he was at this point last year.
“One, you know the playbook. Two, things don’t seem as all-over-the-place,” he said. “It’s a little bit easier, but the thing is to keep going. Don’t regress. If you keep progressing, you get on the field.”

NOTEBOOK:

· Wilson and Washington worked with the first team, but the interesting news is that rookies Dallas Baker and Eric Fowler received multiple scrimmage reps and both played well. Baker (6-3, 206) is the seventh-round draft pick out of Florida and Fowler (6-3, 198) is a free agent from Grand Valley State. He’s not a burner but has big hands and catches everything. Scout Bruce McNorton and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians pushed for Fowler’s post-draft signing. “I’m excited about both him and Dallas Baker,” Arians said. “I think those guys are going to give us some competition at camp.”

· It’s difficult to gauge the progress of young defensive linemen in spring drills because there’s little contact and no pads. A better gauge is how much time a coach spends with the player, and John Mitchell is spending a lot of time teaching Ryan McBean, the fourth-round pick.

· The interesting aspect of the evolving “quarter” defense: It’s a pass-downs defense with one down lineman. Much of the defense hovers near the line of scrimmage at the snap; some blitz and some drop into coverage. It’s organized, orchestrated chaos and just the right place for Brett Keisel to help as a “linebacker.”

· In the two-minute portion of team scrimmage, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger ran to the six-yard line to convert a fourth-and-four. He got up and spiked the ball to stop the clock with 14 seconds left. On the next play he threw a touchdown pass to Willie Parker, who was alone coming out of the backfield and made an impressive catch of the high-and-behind pass.

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted 29 May 2007

Just a little somethin, somethin to keep us up to date of the different scenarios being done at the mini camp.

SteelersWoman
05-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks Diesel! Good to read any news of how the team's progressing :D

BlitzburghRockCity
05-30-2007, 09:10 AM
I like how players are stepping up and being accounted for in the offseason. This just shows us even more how committed the team is to winning and getting to learn the new changes on both sides of the ball.

Starks is going to have his hands full keeping Colon out of his spot, if he doesn't watch himself Willie will step right in and take his job. Camp is going to be fun to watch with all these battles.

steelersgal86
05-30-2007, 09:14 AM
thanks for the updates...:bigthumb::tt02: this means we are getting closer :tt02:

House of Steel
05-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Wow. I love that two minute drill note from Ben and Willie converting the TD. Sounds like Ben is going to get back to his oldself and gaining more confidence. Sounds like we are going to kick *** offensively. I am so ready for this season to begin.

25MVPKing
05-30-2007, 11:20 AM
I was most excited to read about the WRs. You need a guy who rarely drops passes, even if they are short routes, just to keep that clock moving.

Ben's 2 minute drill ending with a touchdown is exactly what I know he can do.

BB2W
05-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Good news... :helmet: