PDA

View Full Version : Very Tragic Day for the Patriots Organization

House of Steel
05-28-2007, 05:12 PM
My heart, prayers, and condolences are out for the family and friends of Marquise Hill and the New England Patriots Organization. At times like this, I don't care about my dislike for rivals, but this is a very tragic day for them. Man, this really sucks. Sad.

Searchers find body believed to be Patriots' Hill
ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 28, 2007, 4:43 PM ET

NEW ORLEANS -- A body believed to be New England Patriots player Marquise Hill was found by searchers Monday, a day after he was reported missing following a personal watercraft accident on Lake Pontchartrain.

"The family will have to make positive identification," Capt. Brian Clark of the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Department said. "But the body we found was that of Mr. Marquise Hill."

The body was discovered about a quarter-mile from where Hill and a female companion were involved in the accident, Clark said.

The Coast Guard were called Sunday night, Petty Officer Tom Atkeson said. The search began immediately, using boats and helicopters.

By the time the body was found, the Coast Guard, Wildlife and Fisheries, the New Orleans Police Department and Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Department were involved, Clark said.

Hill's agent, Albert Elias, said he had been told Hill and a young woman were riding a watercraft Sunday in the lake when both of them went into the water, which had a strong current. Elias said the woman was able to make it to a pylon and hang on until she was rescued, while Hill was last seen floating away from the scene.

"We are all shocked," Patriots owner Robert Kraft said in a statement."

Hill played on LSU's national championship team and was a second-round draft pick by New England in 2004.

"It's shocking," said Patriots cornerback Randall Gay, who was also a college teammate of Hill's at LSU, and who was at the scene when officials pulled the body from the lake. "This is going to be hard for a lot of people."

The woman, whose identity was not available Monday morning, was rescued and sent to Tulane Medical Center where she told them Hill had tried to keep her calm as the two were drifting away from each other.

Neither Hill nor the woman wore a life preserver, Atkeson said.

"It's so important to have a life jacket and a signaling device," Atkeson said. "One keeps you afloat and the other helps us find you."

Elias said Hill, a defensive end, spent much of his time since Hurricane Katrina helping family members rebuild their homes.

The Associated Press and ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli contributed to this report.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-28-2007, 05:14 PM
R.I.P. M. Hill...Its a very sad day.....

stillers4me
05-28-2007, 05:33 PM
I hear he left behind a fiancée and a small child. He was spending the summer helping his family rebuild after Katrina. A life taken too soon is always sad, but especially so when God takes the good ones. I left my condolences at a Pat's board.....there are no rivalries on a day like today. RIP. Marquise.

okiesteeler
05-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about this, it just goes to show what they say is true, 'only the good die young"

PWTRPWR
05-28-2007, 06:34 PM
RIP Marquis

DIESELMAN
05-28-2007, 07:27 PM
That is sad.....'RIP' Marquis.

floodcitygirl
05-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Prayers for his family, friends, and teammates.

BlitzburghNation
05-28-2007, 10:05 PM
My condolences,,,,,,,,,

BlitzburghRockCity
05-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Water and boating accidents are becoming more and more prevalent in recent years, what a terrible tragedy. Prayers out to his family and the Pats organization.

Bucsfan4ever
05-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Such a shame that they weren't wearing life jackets...that lake is so huge and can get awfully rough. My thoughts and prayers to his family and teammates.

floodcitygirl
05-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Does anyone know....were they on a jet ski....what kind of "accident"????

Prosdo
05-28-2007, 10:21 PM
How horrible. Rest in Peace.

SteelersWoman
05-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Does anyone know....were they on a jet ski....what kind of "accident"????

Yes, it was a jet ski accident--here's the link and story, very sad...

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=50125

U.S. Coast Guard rescue crews say they've found the body of a New England Patriots defensive end Marquise Hill missing since Sunday.

He's gone missing in Lake Pontchartrain in New Orleans Sunday night following a jetski accident.

Hill's agent says he was told that both Hill and a young woman were jetskiing when they both went into the water, which had a strong current. The woman was able to make it a pylon while Hill was last seen floating away from the scene.

Authorities say neither Hill nor the woman wore life preservers.

Hill was 24-years-old.

floodcitygirl
05-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Thanks SW. Very sad. Can't imagine being on a jet ski without a life jacket....the lake that we go to is patroled so heavily for stuff like that anyway......very sad.

PsychoWard
05-29-2007, 08:45 AM
wow that is sad my thought and prayers go out to his friends family and teamates!

steelersgal86
05-29-2007, 08:46 AM
wow...how sad...R.I.P

BBG7
05-29-2007, 10:28 AM
R.I.P my thoughts will be with his family and friends as well as the Patriots.

Steelerlyn
05-29-2007, 09:30 PM
I hate to read about anyone, professional athlete or not, whose life is cut short because of their poor decisions. Those of us who are out of the 'invincible' phase of life realize the consequences of our decisions and make those decisions with a certain degree of maturity. I'm no different than anyone, when I was young I thought I could do anything and made some really bad choices - fortunately those choices only ended up costing me some money, and other things that in the end don't matter. My prayers go out to the man's family, and to all those who end up like him only we don't read about them since they're not pro athletes. 4 local youngsters died in a car wreck. Going 90 MPH on back roads at 3:00 a.m. Not famous, but same feelings, same discussion arise.

RIP, all of you are way too young to be taken.

TEEMONT
05-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Dude seemed like a classy guy. It's a shame.

RckyMtnStlrFan
05-30-2007, 12:46 AM
My prayers are with His family. RIP Hill.