PDA

View Full Version : Watching film gave William Gay a head start

BlitzburghRockCity
05-20-2007, 02:04 AM
http://news.steelers.com/article/76618/

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

When you are a rookie, you have to use every little thing to your advantage to get a leg up on the competition. Fifth-round pick William Gay, a cornerback from Louisville, had that jump before he even reported for the team's first mini-camp.

While at Louisville Gay saw plenty of footage of the Steelers defense as they tried to mimic some of the coverage packages that defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is known for.

"We tried to disguise our coverages and we always looked at Pittsburgh tapes," said Gay. "They have the best ways to disguise their coverages. You get out there, and you don't know where they're coming from. It's a very aggressive defense."

His early knowledge of the Steelers defense is something that his coaches definitely feel will be an advantage for him and were impressed when they talked to him about his role in that style of defense.

"They ran a couple of plays that we run, and I asked him what he did on a couple of those plays," said defensive backs coach Ray Horton. "He was able to explain exactly what he did and really what the other 10 men on the field did. That really just impressed me because not only can the kid play, but now I feel that he'll be able to come play a multitude of roles for us right away.

"I feel comfortable putting him on the inside, on the outside, and then possibly down the road, if the kid's tough enough—which I think he is—he can play a little bit of safety for us down the line."

Gay also has the same mentality and aggressive approach that the defensive is traditionally known for.

"I want to attack the ball," said Gay. "I have that mindset. That's what the Pittsburgh Steelers defense is all about, so I'm ready to get in there and get involved when I can."

One reason why Gay lasted until the fifth round was his speed. While he isn't slow, he isn't a guy with blazing speed. But he makes up for it with a lot more.

"I'm not a 4.3 guy, but on the field, I have that hunger," said Gay. "There's a difference between football speed and track speed. I feel like I can get on the field and run with anybody."

Horton compared Gay to cornerback Deshea Townsend, especially from the mental standpoint, something that is a big compliment as Horton considers Townsend one of the most mentally sound players on defense.

"He's instinctual, aggressive and has very good hands," said Horton. "I think that he'll come in right away and compete for a third cornerback spot, a fourth cornerback spot and special teams. I think that this is a young Deshea that can come in and probably apply himself right away with his mental capacity to learn.

"I was very impressed with this young man as far as explaining his position and what the defensive linemen do on particular plays. So, I'm very excited about this young man."

Depth at CB is a big need for us and this kid seems to have a nice upside as a good player to step in if we need him. The starters are set and hopefully Ike & Bryant are good to go for years to come with us so having some quality depth is key for us with Deshea getting older.

BlitzburghNation
05-20-2007, 02:15 AM
Great post TG :bigthumb:

I love this comment he made :tt02:

I want to attack the ball," said Gay. "I have that mindset. That's what the Pittsburgh Steelers defense is all about, so I'm ready to get in there and get involved when I can."

He might just be one of those late round diamond in the rough guy's
at least i hope so :tt02:

TEEMONT
05-20-2007, 03:00 AM
I like the way this kid is thinking.....and the respect he seems to have for LeBeau and his defense.

SteelerSteve
05-20-2007, 03:08 AM
We are just gonna have to wait and see, I hope every draft pick is a gem!

okiesteeler
05-20-2007, 04:19 AM
I just get more excited about the season the more i hear, I just wish the season could have started already

SteelersWoman
05-20-2007, 03:13 PM
For Mother's Day, one of the things I got the Road to the Super Bowl disc set (WOOT!!!) As we were watching it, I said the very same thing Okie--I'm SOOOOOOO ready for this season to start already!!!!