PDA

View Full Version : Great Point, Mr. Rooney!

Steelerlyn
05-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Dan Rooney pointed out that it is much easier for a "loser" to overpay for a player. When you are a winner you obviously have more quality players and need to spread the wealth. You have teams like the Pats and the Eagles that make a big signing every year or so but they build mostly thru the draft and medium salaries. If your team is bad you will overpay to get a certain player you think can start the ball rolling in the right direction. As our roster showed for the Super Bowl we draft and keep our players and that means not overpaying in an effort to keep greater depth and overall quality. I am just really curious how personal these guys really take these things and how much is posturing. They are big boys and know the business I would really appreciate more honesty without the drama. This is actually something that I've thought a great deal about, the balance between a player's right to get as much as he can while he can get it vs. knowing that every dollar that player takes is one less dollar available to spend on his other 52 teammates.
You get to the point where more is just more, and it's not material. Seriously, the difference between $0 -$1,000,000 is astronomical, but is the difference between $5,000,000 and $6,000,000 that big? (I made those numbers up) I say no.

TEEMONT
05-18-2007, 03:31 PM
I say yes.....a million dollars is a million dollars.

Steelrane
05-18-2007, 03:54 PM
is the difference between $5,000,000 and $6,000,000 that big?

I say yes it is a big difference, these guys only have a few years to make money and this money needs to last them their entire life. They really have to fight for whatever they can get especially when their playing GREAT! I understand that the team needs to stick together, but when it comes to money for these guy's, it is really each man for himself. :stirpot:

GO STEELERS :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

SteelersWoman
05-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I agree with you Lyn. Most of us live our entire lifetimes on less than these guys earn in one year.

With proper investing, these people could probably live their whole lives on just the interest.

At the point where a million (or two, or however much) makes the difference whether a man stays or goes, it's nothing more than ego, pride, and greed.

If these guys were earning 30-50 thousand a year, (which is what the average salary is for people who work all year long) and had the opportunity to get a job paying a million, THEN I can see it--but NOT at the ridiculously high levels they're already being paid.

25MVPKing
05-18-2007, 05:37 PM
these guys only have a few years to make money and this money needs to last them their entire life

Guess they should have thought about that when they were getting a college education in exchange for playing a game they love.

My heart weeps....

This money doesn't have to last them, they can work after football. In fact, most probably don't live their entire life after football without working.

When they make $33,000 a year (as the average american household does) and then buy 4 football tickets for their family at $80-100 each, I'll start feeling sorry for their financial situation.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Players on the Steelers know how the Rooneys do business; but at the same time they have to look out for their well being. If they think they are worth "x" amount of dollars but the Rooney's think they are worth less than that then they'll try and make a statement to force the teams hand with their deal in hopes of getting the 2 sides to come closer to a happy medium.

It's hard to fathom the different between 5-6 million because most of us will never see that much money....

Steelrane
05-18-2007, 06:02 PM
This money doesn't have to last them, they can work after football. In fact, most probably don't live their entire life after football without working.

Yes this is true, but how many took college classes that would help them make good money. A lot of the guys take classes that are easy to pass so they can keep playing, so the money they do make after football is terrible. Then there are the "friends" that jump on the back of these guys to get a free ride. The NFL should have more help for these guys, just with life skills, I think that would help them a lot.

I totally understand about the average American being paid :2cents: so badly and the price of tickets being outrageous, plus that doesn't even included food :pizza: , gas, program, and of course stuff for the kids. :jump1:

25MVPKing
05-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Whoops, my data was off... $46k (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_household_income)

Yes, i'm glad you get my point.... And it's their own fault if they surround themselves with moochers. Or if they don't learn how to protect their money. Everyone else is responsible for saving money for their retirement.

Steelrane
05-18-2007, 06:50 PM
So very true!!! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Steelerlyn
05-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Yes this is true, but how many took college classes that would help them make good money. A lot of the guys take classes that are easy to pass so they can keep playing, so the money they do make after football is terrible. Then there are the "friends" that jump on the back of these guys to get a free ride. The NFL should have more help for these guys, just with life skills, I think that would help them a lot.

I totally understand about the average American being paid :2cents: so badly and the price of tickets being outrageous, plus that doesn't even included food :pizza: , gas, program, and of course stuff for the kids. :jump1:

And if you live out of state like many do, add in the hotel costs. :bigthumb:

BlitzburghNation
05-19-2007, 12:27 AM
IMO,,,,,,,,,:scratch:

:nahnah: give me 5 mill & it'll last me until i die easy :popcorn:

I think agents persuade some guys to try to get that enormous contract
I also think others are ego driven,,,,,,for example so & so makes x amount of dollars & i'm better then him,,,,so they say pay me my fair market value !

What there really saying,,,I want to be paid the amount that would make me number whatever on that certain position !

Faneca,,,arguably the best gaurd in football :scratch: So what 19 mill vs 25 mill :popcorn: It really boils down to play for the love & leave your ego at home :yesnod: Play for what everyone at least says there playing for
"That superbowl ring" and being called champion's for at least one year !

Don't get me wrong ,,,I believe these guys risk there life on the field and they should get paid :bigthumb: IMO they get paid & get paid very well ,,,
That's my :2cents: worth ,,,,,,,,

stillers4me
05-19-2007, 07:37 AM
How much is Faneca going to make in endorsements, speaking engagements and media gigs after retiring a Steeler with at least one more ring versus being a butthead and leaving the Steelers and retiring from somewhere nobody cares about and doesn't win a championship?????? :scratch:

25MVPKing
05-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Don't get me wrong ,,,I believe these guys risk there life on the field and they should get paid :bigthumb: IMO they get paid & get paid very well

I think they deserve to get paid well too, but let's not forget that NFL Europa, AFL, AFL2, and CFL players do not make the same kinds of money for the same hard work. The same arguement could be made for NCAA Football players as well, but that's another can of worms.

:2cents:

Stlrs4Life
05-19-2007, 04:06 PM
http://kdka.com/video/?id=27905@kdka.dayport.com (http://kdka.com/video/?id=27905@kdka.dayport.com)

Here's a video link to it. I can't get kdka to work for me though.