PDA

View Full Version : Role Model LeBron James

Steelerlyn
05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
I heard and so did anyone listening hear Lebron James say last night that his head was not into basketball because his girlfriend was in labor with their second child, etc. (he said alot more defending the reason he only had 20 points or whatever but I am focusing on the girlfriend/kid thing. Now, I know he is young, but does he have a clue how many little boys look up to him?
We have enough of that kind of behavior, enough kids running around who don't even know who their dad is. I just feel it is very inapproiate for a role model (and all sports figures are role models whether they want to be or not).
If he is going to continue to sleep with this "girlfriend" and coninue to make babies, he needs to marry the girl or keep his mouth shut and his "family" out of the spotlight. That sounded so........so.........so......ghetto!

TEEMONT
05-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Why does he need to get married? Just b/c our Christian values say so, doens't mean he needs to follow them. At least he isn't out getting random chicks pregnant, and it is his g/f who, I believe he lives with. I lived with my wife when she was just my g/f, does that make me ghetto? It's not like we were on birth control or anything. Not everyone has to live their lives according to what our "standards" are.

Besides, it's not like this kid is going to grow up not knowing who his dad is.

Steelerlyn
05-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Tee, you are reading way too much into this. I am not promoting anything all I am saying is that he is a basketball player followed by many small children and his focus should be on that alone, not bringing up his personal life. Probably many of the kids watching him have no dad because their dad may have left them, my only point is, imo, he has no right to give anyone of those kids a thought like, "my dad lived with his girlfriend, that was my mom, and they had a baby, it was me, then my dad left us." That is all I am saying, my dear!

TEEMONT
05-17-2007, 01:44 PM
I don't see a probem with it. It's a valid excuse.

Steelerlyn
05-17-2007, 02:00 PM
tha's your opinon and we both have a right to an opinion. We agree to disagree:)

Black@Gold Forever32
05-17-2007, 02:36 PM
At least LeBron James isn't another Adam "Pacman" Jones,Chris Henry, Ron Artest...Not everybody is perfect. I also don't think athletes are role models. I know I wouldn't my kids if I had any looking up to these ego manics.lol

AZ_Steeler
05-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Exactly BG32... especially considering the group he could hanging out with down in Bengal country! What he does in his personal life shouldn't be an issue as long as he's not a menace to society. Granted he's young and this is his second kid, but it is with the same girl and he should be commended for that alone!

I'm sure they'll get married, he's just saving his money now to pay for it. ;) Plus he's been going non stop the past 2 years now with the NBA and the Olympic qualifying... they'll get there one day! :bigthumb:

Steelerlyn
05-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Exactly BG32... especially considering the group he could hanging out with down in Bengal country! What he does in his personal life shouldn't be an issue as long as he's not a menace to society. Granted he's young and this is his second kid, but it is with the same girl and he should be commended for that alone!

I'm sure they'll get married, he's just saving his money now to pay for it. ;) Plus he's been going non stop the past 2 years now with the NBA and the Olympic qualifying... they'll get there one day! :bigthumb:

I would never ever want one of my kids to look up to any guy in pro sports as their role model but face it, kids do look up to athletes whether we want them to or not. Saving money? We are talking about a guy who has gazilions of gazillions of bucks. (I have a card of his tha is worth quite a bit) I don't care what he does, it just sounded bad when he was being interviewed last night. His g/f was in labor and he was more concerned about her than the game and he said so. It just did not come out right, I thougt of all the fans who had bet on the game and lost money, etc, etc, etc, but all I really care about are the children who may have been hurt by what he said, adults can take care of themselves but kids, I love kids.

TEEMONT
05-17-2007, 04:45 PM
I would never ever want one of my kids to look up to any guy in pro sports as their role model but face it, kids do look up to athletes whether we want them to or not. Saving money? We are talking about a guy who has gazilions of gazillions of bucks. (I have a card of his tha is worth quite a bit) I don't care what he does, it just sounded bad when he was being interviewed last night. His g/f was in labor and he was more concerned about her than the game and he said so. It just did not come out right, I thougt of all the fans who had bet on the game and lost money, etc, etc, etc, but all I really care about are the children who may have been hurt by what he said, adults can take care of themselves but kids, I love kids.

You thought of all the kids who saw a guy on TV who had his priorities str8. He was more worried about his g/f than some game, good for him. Who cares if some degenerate gamblers lost money on the game, thats their problem not LeBron's, here's an idea, don't depend on other to mkae your money for you.

Why would the children be hurt by what he said? Do we really want a society where games are more important than family members? When my wife went into labor in the 4th, I skipped my softball game (which is in a league where each player on the championship teams gets $100) and went to the labor with my wife, of course, why wouldn't I? Had I gone to my game, and had my priorites messed up who would have suffered? My wife and my kid, which is all that matters to me. I'm sure leBron would have much rather been at the hospital, if anything I think kids should see that in the long run, what happens on a basketball court is trivial compared to what happens to your family.

Steelerlyn
05-17-2007, 04:56 PM
You thought of all the kids who saw a guy on TV who had his priorities str8. He was more worried about his g/f than some game, good for him. Who cares if some degenerate gamblers lost money on the game, thats their problem not LeBron's, here's an idea, don't depend on other to mkae your money for you.

Why would the children be hurt by what he said? Do we really want a society where games are more important than family members? When my wife went into labor in the 4th, I skipped my softball game (which is in a league where each player on the championship teams gets $100) and went to the labor with my wife, of course, why wouldn't I? Had I gone to my game, and had my priorites messed up who would have suffered? My wife and my kid, which is all that matters to me. I'm sure leBron would have much rather been at the hospital, if anything I think kids should see that in the long run, what happens on a basketball court is trivial compared to what happens to your family.

And in comes Einstein!~ Family is more important than a game? You are kidding of course :markit: :milestone: :rolleyes:

TEEMONT
05-17-2007, 04:58 PM
So what are you saying then? he shouldn't have even been at the game? first you admonish him for for not having his mind on the game and costing gamblers money, now what? I'm confused Lyn.

Steelerlyn
05-17-2007, 05:24 PM
So what are you saying then? he shouldn't have even been at the game? first you admonish him for for not having his mind on the game and costing gamblers money, now what? I'm confused Lyn.

Awh, I know it is hard for some of us to pick up jest. I am very concerned about gamblers!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-17-2007, 05:34 PM
The fact is that many many kids these days look up to pro athletes as role models whether their parents want them too or not. Obviously Lebron doesn't have to consult with anyone on how he wants to live his life, who he wants to be with, how many kids he wants, etc...but when it comes down to it these guys are role models for kids and what they do affects their fans lives many times, especially when it's younger children or teenagers who see all the glitz, glam, and fame of being a pro athlete.

TEEMONT
05-17-2007, 06:38 PM
And in comes Einstein!~ Family is more important than a game? You are kidding of course :markit: :milestone: :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is, you said he's a bad role model b/c he said his g/f was on his mind during the game? And he is a bad role model bc he is having kids out of wedlock? I'm just trying to figure out why you said he was a bad role model.....thats all....

BBG7
05-17-2007, 06:39 PM
I really don't see anything wrong with Lebron having 2 kids. Atleast he is there for them. I'm sure he will end up marrying his girlfriend in time....but he might want to make sure that it's for real, which is in all of their best intrests, including the kids. My fiance and I have 2 kids and we are getting married in July. We wanted to make sure we were ready for marriage, and I think we are now at a wonderful point in our relationship, and we now feel very confident our marriage will last. While it's not my dream (I would have loved to be marry then have our kids) I have never been happier. Even if things with Lebron and his girlfriend don't work out, he seems like he will be there for his children.

okiesteeler
05-17-2007, 08:12 PM
If his gf was in labor he should not have been at the game, he should have been with her, to show that family is more impdortant, no one could have faulted him for it, and even with him there they lost so it would not have been that big a deal and as for the role model thing, he is showing that it is okay to put a game or work over family and that it is alright to make excuses and to be a sore loser.

PsychoWard
05-17-2007, 08:28 PM
If his gf was in labor he should not have been at the game, he should have been with her, to show that family is more impdortant, no one could have faulted him for it, and even with him there they lost so it would not have been that big a deal and as for the role model thing, he is showing that it is okay to put a game or work over family and that it is alright to make excuses and to be a sore loser.

well what happened was his girlfriend was at the gamn and had to be taken out on a strecher. i was there and saw it happen! so i could defenitly see why his mind was not on the game!!!

DIESELMAN
05-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Like TEE said, hes got his priorities right, at least hes worried about his g/f and not the game. You also don't see his name poppin up with another woman having his kids. TOP said it right also, whether these guys want to believe it or not, they are role models, it takes a lot of maturity to accept that and make a difference.

floodcitygirl
05-17-2007, 09:15 PM
well what happened was his girlfriend was at the gamn and had to be taken out on a strecher. i was there and saw it happen! so i could defenitly see why his mind was not on the game!!!Well if his pregnant girlfriend had to be taken out of the game by life squad and he didn't go with her, then I really do think less of him.

PsychoWard
05-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Well if his pregnant girlfriend had to be taken out of the game by life squad and he didn't go with her, then I really do think less of him.

well the thing of it is i don't think he even knew because she just got up and walked out. so i don't even think he knew till later that they actually took her away!

Steelerlyn
05-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Well if his pregnant girlfriend had to be taken out of the game by life squad and he didn't go with her, then I really do think less of him.

That is exactly what haoppened and why his remarks sounded even stupider, like I said he is young.