PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping the new coaches.....

DIESELMAN
05-17-2007, 03:34 AM
Usually new coaches take over terrible teams, but this year that's not the case. Two playoff teams from last season (San Diego and Dallas) and two teams that hovered around .500 (Pittsburgh and Atlanta) have new head men this year. Heres a prediction on how all seven new coaches will fare in 2007:

Norv Turner, Chargers: Turner, who has a 58-82-1 career record as a head coach, takes over a loaded team. The problem is, San Diego's schedule gets much tougher this season. The Chargers out-of-division slate is brutal - Chicago, Indy, Baltimore, at New England, at Jacksonville. Predicted Record: 10-6

Mike Tomlin, Steelers: The franchise's third coach takes over an intriguing team. The Steelers won six of their last eight in '06, had the No. 8 overall defense last year and will have a healthy Ben Roethlisberger. Tomlin could be the next coaching star from Tony Dungy's old staff in Tampa Bay. Predicted Record: 10-6.

Wade Phillips, Cowboys: Jerry Jones' experiment with a big-name coach didn't result in a Super Bowl, so the Dallas owner is back to a guy who won't get in his way. Phillips isn't bad, but he won't bring back the Jimmy Johnson glory days. Predicted Record: 9-7

Ken Whisenhunt, Cardinals: Every offseason the Cardinals look like a great darkhorse. Even though I like Whisenhunt, I'm not falling for Arizona again this time. Predicted record: 7-9

Bobby Petrino, Falcons: Petrino is a noted disciplinarian with a solid NFL background (QBs coach and offensive coordinator in Jacksonville). But I don't expect his offensive success in college to translate to the NFL. Predicted Record: 6-10

Cam Cameron, Dolphins: The fans are already mad about the Ted Ginn Jr. pick, and the QB situation is still up in the air. The defense will be solid, but it won't be enough. Predicted Record: 6-10

Lane Kiffin, Raiders: Kiffin appears to be a bright guy and he has great coaching genes. The question is, how long will Al Davis give him to turn around the team, because it's not happening this year. They didn't make enough significant upgrades to improve immediately. Predicted Record: 4-12

BlitzburghRockCity
05-17-2007, 06:09 AM
Obviously Tomlin & Norv Turner came into great situations with their teams so the expectation levels will be very high for these 2 because the teams are already loaded with a lot of talent and have a recent history of winning.

ARKIESTEEL
05-17-2007, 07:11 AM
I dont know about the rest of you but I would take 10-6 and be pretty happy

Dako
05-17-2007, 07:50 AM
10-6 sounds good to me. Hopefully we will have the team that we had in the second half of last season rather than the first half.

House of Steel
05-17-2007, 08:48 AM
10-6 would make me a very satisified man, but nothing will make me complete than a Super Bowl Victory at Super Bowl XLII

BBG7
05-17-2007, 01:51 PM
I would be happy with 10-6 and if that were to happen, I see us as a playoff team. I don't think we could really ask for more going into this year, but my expectations would be much higher for the following season if this happens

Black@Gold Forever32
05-17-2007, 02:52 PM
When the Steelers schedule was released I said 10-11 wins at best. Yes I would be happy with 10-6. But I'm not expecting that at all. This team very well could be 7-9. Its all up to the players. I'm convinced that Tomlin will be prepared as an NFL HC. Sure he will have his own growing pains as a first time HC. But my biggest worry is the team buying into Mike Tomlin 100 percent. So far everything sounds good but its still only May.

PsychoWard
05-17-2007, 03:03 PM
i would be happy with 10-6!!

okiesteeler
05-17-2007, 09:20 PM
10-6 sounds good, and if the raiders go 4-12 then Kiffin did a good job as it is double their wins of last season