PDA

View Full Version : Time for Timmons to grow up ?

BlitzburghRockCity
05-14-2007, 01:09 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_507519.html

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, May 14, 2007

Lawrence Timmons
3400 South Water Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203

Hey Lawrence:

Welcome to Pittsburgh.

Some welcome, huh?

You injure your groin within the first hour in the first practice of your first NFL minicamp. You miss the remainder of camp.

I know you have a reputation for being a gamer, a player who comes to play when the whistle blows and the TV cameras are on, but this is ridiculous.

Lawrence, you needed to be on the field.

New coach Mike Tomlin wanted to show off his first-ever first-round draft pick, a player he personally endorsed, and here you are standing on the sideline.

I know what you told me Saturday, that you can learn a lot just from observing, but that's my job, young fellow. I'm paid to observe. You're going to be paid to play.

Lawrence, the more that you're on the field, the more times you can flash that quickness and burst to the football that makes you such a dangerous playmaker, the better off that you, and the Steelers, will be.

Being on the field for your first minicamp would also have helped squash those nasty rumors about you not always being in tip-top shape. One of the underlying reasons given for some teams allegedly removing you from their draft boards was a nagging question about your conditioning, given that you appeared winded between drills at your Florida State Pro Day in March.

I know, I know. Anybody can injure their groin. It was a fluke accident, right? But not everybody is the Steelers' top draft pick, who was personally endorsed by the new head coach who just happened to replace Bill Cowher. Not to mention, the new coach who already has his plate full because of the Alan Faneca situation, who doesn't have time to worry about whether those nasty rumors about his top draft pick not always being in tip-top shape are true.

Anybody who's seen you in close quarters knows that you're built a lot like New York Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma, compact but powerful. You have all the physical attributes required to be an impact linebacker in the NFL.

L.T. -- you don't mind if I call you L.T., do you? -- you have your whole career ahead of you. You turn 21 today -- happy birthday, by the way. You have the full support of the front office and coaching staff.

What you don't have right now is a true understanding for what it takes to be a pro.

L.T., talent can take you only so far. The NFL is as much mental as it is physical.

Coming to the Steelers is a good thing because you have veterans such as James Farrior, Clark Haggans, Larry Foote and James Harrison who can show you the way. They're proven winners who have dedicated their minds and bodies to being the best football players they can be.

Listen to everything they tell you. Do what they do. You may have more physical ability than any of them, but how many of them can you outwork?

L.T., this isn't a criticism as much as it is a commentary about how much you can accomplish with the proper mind-set. You have untapped physical potential. That's why the Steelers made you the No. 15 pick in the draft, even though you started only one season at FSU.

You were drafted for what the Steelers believe you can do.

That's why seeing you on the sideline instead of on the field during minicamp was troublesome.

With so much to give, we saw so little from you.

Can't wait to see you at training camp.

Regards,

John Harris

To be honest, I don't get this article one bit. The dude injured his groin in practice in a mini camp. It's not like he didn't want to be there, or he has issues with the coaches already or something. He's got plenty of time to hit the books and the film room while he heals over the next couple months till camp starts.

Koopa
05-14-2007, 01:15 AM
yeah, kind of a dumb article, what's to show off in minicamp??? they don't even wear pads or hit each other, you can't show off **** really, all it's for is to learn the play book, not really show off.......... no point in getting hurt worse, it was good for him to sit back and learn, he'll be ready for the real camp in july

BlacknGold Bleeder
05-14-2007, 01:24 AM
A lot of innuendos in that article, just a jackass reporter trying to sell some newspapers...:stirpot:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-14-2007, 01:33 AM
A lot of innuendos in that article, just a jackass reporter trying to sell some newspapers...:stirpot:

:iagree: Sounds like he couldn't come up with something better so he figured he'd bitch about a rookie getting injured when nobody else in the organization seems to be worried one bit. Get over yourself dude !

The minicamps do nothing more than just help the players get to know each other and work on some of the basics together. The real work comes in July when they start to learn the offenses more and put them into play on the practice field and in preseason. They've got from now till then to learn the playbook and get in shape for the season; let the real impressions of players begin in July, not in May !

BlitzburghNation
05-14-2007, 01:50 AM

Gimme a break,,,,It's friggin mini-camp :lol:

Well said B&G bleeder :clap:

Hburg
05-14-2007, 01:51 AM
The Tribune sucks! The Post Gazette is the much better of the two newspapers in Pittsburgh. Their sources are more reliable, their articles more thorough, and their approach more genuine. This writer is just trying to be a shock jock to get a reaction.

BuFu

okiesteeler
05-14-2007, 05:21 AM
He built Timmons up though, and at the same time tried to tear him down, made no sense. Come Training camp we will see what he brings to the plate. And when he gets his shot in a game he is going to crush the opponents and make this reporter eat his words

steelcurtaingal
05-14-2007, 08:03 AM
dude, WTF is up with this article? its not like he didn't want to be on the field!

Ambridge
05-14-2007, 09:16 AM
The sports jounalism in Pittsburgh has been sliding the past several years and this article should be fitted and rolled on to a toilet paper tube.

Ed Bouchette (The Steelers Beat Writer for the Post Gazette) is the only columnist I trust when it concerns the Steelers.

House of Steel
05-14-2007, 09:20 AM
I am with Bleeder and Ambridge. I hate the Tribune and always will hate them. Their reporters are like the Paraparazzi and the Enquirer. They have nothing better to do than to write stupid *** article that make us go :wtf: :scratch:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-14-2007, 09:33 AM
He built Timmons up though, and at the same time tried to tear him down, made no sense. Come Training camp we will see what he brings to the plate. And when he gets his shot in a game he is going to crush the opponents and make this reporter eat his words

Maybe we should let John Harris stand out on the field opposite Timmons and see how much this journalist really knows !

House of Steel
05-14-2007, 09:36 AM
:greengrin: I would pay to see this event, TG!! Well said.

BBG7
05-14-2007, 11:49 AM
It's just mini camp...and would we rather he play hurt and risk further injuries. Atleast the kid is there and learning.

TEEMONT
05-14-2007, 11:50 AM
the tribune is a big bag of douche....

DIESELMAN
05-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Is this guy moonlighting? Writing for the Cincinnati Courier or something? Doesn't sound like he knows to much about football

Black@Gold Forever32
05-14-2007, 01:38 PM
I thought Tomlin, told Timmons to sit out anyway.lol This article isn't worth the paper that I wipe my *** with.

PsychoWard
05-14-2007, 01:59 PM
I thought Tomlin, told Timmons to sit out anyway.lol This article isn't worth the paper that I wipe my *** with.

yeah that was my understanding also what a stupid article! like a lot of others said it is mini camp they don't even hit give the guy a break!!!!

BRICKTOWN BEAST
05-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Jon Harris needs to get a life

BlitzburghRockCity
05-14-2007, 02:54 PM
You know it's the offseason when these "experts" are reaching for topics to write about it like this :nonod:

SteelersWoman
05-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Sounds to me like he thought Timmons was tryin too hard to impress the coaches/team, and he thinks that's what got him hurt. That may (or may NOT) be what happened, but I'd think that every new guy would want to do that.

Sounds like the guy writin the story needs to grow up a bit as well :2cents:

Captcoolhand
05-14-2007, 06:12 PM
sounds like a sarcastic fan writing a letter to LT:yesnod: I'm sure LT wasn't even around when he was saying all this.
he probably got lazy and didn't do hi job and had to make something up just to cover his ***.:2cents:

Stlrs4Life
05-14-2007, 07:19 PM
The sports jounalism in Pittsburgh has been sliding the past several years and this article should be fitted and rolled on to a toilet paper tube.

Ed Bouchette (The Steelers Beat Writer for the Post Gazette) is the only columnist I trust when it concerns the Steelers.

Same here. It is sad, Pittsburgh is such a big sports town, but we have the worst sportswriters in the country.

Iron City South
05-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Tell you what ....

If Timmons turns into a Zo Jackson part deux .... I'll be raging on somebody like nobody's business. :chair: