PDA

View Full Version : Mini-camp Observations

BlackGold4vr
05-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Duce Staley By Dale Lolley
For SteelCityInsider.com
Posted May 13, 2007

Minicamp is over and OTAs are around the corner. Here's what we learned over the weekend watching the Steelers run around in shorts.

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed Kevan Barlow to a free agent deal this week to possibly help ease the burden on running back Willie Parker.

The team then gave Barlow No. 22 and put him in Duce Staley's old locker no kidding.

Barlow promptly went out and sprained his ankle on the second day of practice with his new team. If he adds about 20 pounds between now and training camp, the coincidences will be too great to ignore.

Glad I'm not the only one who see's the possibility of "Duce 2" I'm trying to be optimistic about him but we will see. Even if he turns out to be another "Duce" it's not like he will play a big role in our offense anyway. Sure woulda been nice to trade Faneca off even if it was for a 2nd rounder next year. Also not very encouraging was the fact our first two picks got injured and watched most of the drills from the sidelines. Sure hope these two guys turn out to be the studs we hoped they would be!

:towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

BlitzburghNation
05-14-2007, 01:58 AM
Well said B&G4ever :clap:

Just mini-camp though,,,,,,,it's a long way till september's kick-off :tt02:

Koopa
05-14-2007, 02:02 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who see's the possibility of "Duce 2" I'm trying to be optimistic about him but we will see. Even if he turns out to be another "Duce" it's not like he will play a big role in our offense anyway. Sure woulda been nice to trade Faneca off even if it was for a 2nd rounder next year. Also not very encouraging was the fact our first two picks got injured and watched most of the drills from the sidelines. Sure hope these two guys turn out to be the studs we hoped they would be!

:towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

i don't get this whole duce 2 thing, duce was brought in to be a starter for several years, barlow is being brought in just to compete a little with dookie, not make an impact like duce was expected to do, so there is no comparison over these two guys

BlackGold4vr
05-14-2007, 07:59 AM
i don't get this whole duce 2 thing, duce was brought in to be a starter for several years, barlow is being brought in just to compete a little with dookie, not make an impact like duce was expected to do, so there is no comparison over these two guys

Sure their roles are different. It's their contributions that are likely to draw comparisons.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
05-14-2007, 02:59 PM
I think Davenport will be the back up and a dam good one espcially since Barlow is here

PsychoWard
05-14-2007, 03:07 PM
its a little to early to jump the gun yeah there were a few injuries but they were all very minor!!! i think we will be fine!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Sure their roles are different. It's their contributions that are likely to draw comparisons.

...or lack thereof because of injuries that really makes me think of Duce...

Koopa
05-14-2007, 05:01 PM
but we've had other backs that get hurt all the time, why can't he be compared to haynes??? it's just stupid to bring up duce, duce came in the first year and was badass until he got hurt, and then he was just never the same, barlow is coming in and will not get a legit chance to do anything, cause dookie has the back up spot on lock no matter what, he did good on passing third downs, and on special teams, so no other back on the roster will take his spot.........so barlow can't be compared cause he will not play enough to get hurt, so duces name shouldn't even be thought of...he's here for depth and that's it, not to make any sort of impact