PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin getting tested early...

BlitzburghRockCity
05-13-2007, 01:58 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07133/785762-66.stm

Sunday, May 13, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As with Alan Faneca himself, the Alan Faneca story just won't go away for the Steelers this weekend, and it is putting their new, young head coach to an early test.

Less than 24 hours after declaring he would reluctantly participate throughout a mandatory minicamp, Faneca skipped the morning practice yesterday after someone -- apparently from the organization -- said something that upset him.

Then someone else, coach Mike Tomlin, convinced the six-time Pro Bowl guard to rejoin his teammates for the afternoon practice.

"Some things were said, and I just had to cool off, a little cool-off time," Faneca said after the second practice.

He said the mystery remark was unrelated to anything he said Friday when he passionately declared this would be his final season with the Steelers because they were not treating him fairly in talks to extend his contract past its one-season expiration date.
Faneca's status on the field and off as the most-decorated guard in the Steelers' history and a three-year co-captain makes his stance a potential tinderbox for Tomlin. If so, the 35-year-old coach seems to be handling this early trial well.

Not only did his lunchtime talk with Faneca convince him to return to the practice field, Tomlin has managed to put his team through what appeared to be four strong practices the past two days. He could use this as a means to get some early messages through to his players.

"Sure, it's an issue," Tomlin said, "but I think more than anything else it's got to be a lesson for us as a football team in that the season is not without its ups and downs. Adversity is part of it, distractions are part of it.

"Take this as an opportunity to grow in that area and deal with some things and go out and play football. ... The standard of expectation is not going to change on our football team regardless of what's going on, whether somebody has personal issues, whether someone's playing or not because of injury. ... If nothing else, we're getting some positive out of this from that standpoint as a football team. But, again, it's a very personal issue for Alan. I respect that element of it, and we'll move forward."

Tomlin downplayed whether the circumstance was a test for him.

"Well, you know, all of this is a test. Every time I get out of my car in the parking lot, it's a test. And it's one that I readily accept as part of the job, and I'm excited about meeting the challenge."

Faneca's issue certainly was a topic among his teammates; whether it becomes a distraction might not be known for months or until the season opens.

"I don't consider that a problem, to be honest with you," said starting right guard Kendall Simmons, one of Faneca's closest friends on the team. "We as a team are going to take care of our part and we're going to support him because we know what's going on and know the situation.

"That's up to them to deal with that. I don't think there's going to be a distraction. We had a good practice today, and it ain't going to change from here on out. Love to have him out there. It makes us 10 times better when he's out there."

Chris Kemoeatu, entering his third season, took Faneca's place at left guard for the morning practice.

Tomlin could fine Faneca for skipping the morning practice, but would not say if he did so.

"Again, we'll deal with that, but we'll deal with that internally."

So far Tomlin is able to keep things under control and hopefully he'll continue to do so. This is part of life as an NFL head coach especially when you're talking about players as popular and talented as Faneca, Porter, etc.

DIESELMAN
05-13-2007, 02:09 AM
Tomlin has seen this stuff before, indirectly as a assistant. He was in TB when Sapp was let go, I'm sure Gruden gave him tips on how to deal with that stuff and how to handle the locker room atmosphere thing.

okiesteeler
05-13-2007, 02:29 AM
I wonder if Tomlin has been in touch with any of his former head couches for help with this issue

BlitzburghNation
05-13-2007, 02:59 AM
I'm glad Tomlin is saying all the right things :clap:

It's to bad his 1st coaching job has to be filled with player contract issues !!!

It'll all work itself out IMO :popcorn:

stillers4me
05-13-2007, 09:53 AM
It sounds like Tomlin is the right man for the job........I think one of his strong points is that he's a great communicator and he's really keeping a cool head and doing and saying all the right things. I suspect that this whole Faneca situration will be resolved with Tomlin earning some well deserved respect from the players. He's reeling them in......one by one.

Stlrs4Life
05-13-2007, 10:08 AM
We can all only hope. I personally hope they cut him or trade him.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Oh, somebody said something that upset Alan Faneca and thats why he didn't practice in the morning. What a bitch......How did it make this long in the NFL being so sensitive. Reading this just made lose more respect for punkass Alan Faneca.lol

House of Steel
05-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Hey, I wouldn't put the blame on Alan for skipping practice, but if the Steelers Management is going to treat him like ****, I would be pissed off too in his shoes. This man put everything on the line for them in the last several years. I am starting to see the whole picture now. Alan is reacting like any other player would, I am beginning to really question what the hell was said that set him off. I don't like the way he is being treated here.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Hey, I wouldn't put the blame on Alan for skipping practice, but if the Steelers Management is going to treat him like ****, I would be pissed off too in his shoes. This man put everything on the line for them in the last several years. I am starting to see the whole picture now. Alan is reacting like any other player would, I am beginning to really question what the hell was said that set him off. I don't like the way he is being treated here.

Oh the Steelers management has treated him like ****? Are you ****ing serious? Come'on House don't make me throw up. All the Steelers have done is let Alan Faneca make millions of dollars.:lol: Oh I feel so bad for Alan Faneca.lol

Alan Faneca is piece of **** and a bitch. I hope he doesn't play this season for the Steelers. Man my bosses at work say stuff I don't like all the time and I still have to do my job. I can't sit out for a couple hours and say somebody said something mean to me and I don't feel like working. What a bitch Faneca is.:lol:

DIESELMAN
05-13-2007, 11:22 AM

Faneca isn't anyone special, no matter what hes done. Hell Franco Harris went through the same thing back in 1984. Its Business!!!! Faneca gettin pissed and not showing up is not the way a professional acts, more like the way a 3 year old acts. Plus who is anyone to question how the Rooneys run their team?

House of Steel
05-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Obviously, you have to look at this from both sides of the ballgame here.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Obviously, you have to look at this from both sides of the ballgame here.

Obviously you need to get a glue. **** these million dollar cry babies like Alan Faneca.

Captcoolhand
05-13-2007, 11:29 AM
so many haters but who do you have to replace Alan should he not play?:scratch:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-13-2007, 11:31 AM
so many haters but who do you have to replace Alan should he not play?:scratch:

He doesn't want to be here so **** him. Alot of you are starting to make me sick by defending this piece of ****. Don't even ****ing respond to me Capt if you're going to defend this piece of ****.

Captcoolhand
05-13-2007, 11:40 AM
He doesn't want to be here so **** him. Alot of you are starting to make me sick by defending this piece of ****. Don't even ****ing respond to me Capt if you're going to defend this piece of ****.
it ain't about defending a guy who feels he deserves what he has coming to him. he's an achor to this team and a big peice to Bens blind side and if you think just cancelling him out won't hurt this team is just plain stupid :2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-13-2007, 11:46 AM
it ain't about defending a guy who feels he deserves what he has coming to him. he's an achor to this team and a big peice to Bens blind side and if you think just cancelling him out won't hurt this team is just plain stupid :2cents:

He has never been a great pass blocker hello. In case you didn't notice the Steelers Oline gave up 49 sacks with the great Alan Faneca in there last year. Get a ****ing clue Capt.:lol: The strongest part of Alan Faneca's game has always been run blocking. He is great in the running game but average at best in pass blocking.

Go root for another ****ing team then if you don't like the way Faneca is being treated ****. The guy is 30 so lets sign to a huge contract yea that makes ****ing sense.lol

Plus his feeling were hurt since somebody said something he didn't like. That was the last straw for me. I think its a big ****ing joke that some of you are still supporting a bitch *** mother ****er like Alan Fancea. **** this douche bag.

Captcoolhand
05-13-2007, 12:12 PM
He has never been a great pass blocker hello. In case you didn't notice the Steelers Oline gave up 49 sacks with the great Alan Faneca in there last year. Get a ****ing clue Capt.:lol: The strongest part of Alan Faneca's game has always been run blocking. He is great in the running game but average at best in pass blocking. The last time I could recall..this is what type of team this is

Go root for another ****ing team then if you don't like the way Faneca is being treated ****. The guy is 30 so lets sign to a huge contract yea that makes ****ing sense.lol

Plus his feeling were hurt since somebody said something he didn't like. That was the last straw for me. I think its a big ****ing joke that some of you are still supporting a bitch *** mother ****er like Alan Fancea. **** this douche bag.
So what was said exactly their Mr. potty mouth? and who would you put in to replace the departing Fancea:dunno:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-13-2007, 12:16 PM
So what was said exactly their Mr. potty mouth? and who would you put in to replace the departing Fancea:dunno:

No **** the Steelers are a ****ing running team. But you're the ****ing one that mentioned Ben's blind side. Hello don't remember typing that. Have another drink capt.:lol: **** Alan Faneca.

In case you havn't paid attention the Steelers have lost better OLineman and survived. Hey you remember Dermontti Dawson? Only one of the best centers of alltime. So the Steelers could put Sean Mahan or somebody else at LG. Players come and go Capt.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Take it easy here folks, we're allowed to have differing opinions regardless of who the player is. We don't do personal attacks around here. :nono:

Captcoolhand
05-13-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm just rattling your cage Forever32 no need for a pissing match.:whiz: and for you info and everyone else I am a sober man today and will continue as long as life allow me.

Captcoolhand
05-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Take it easy here folks, we're allowed to have differing opinions regardless of who the player is. We don't do personal attacks around here. :nono:
I didn't think it got personal but ok,my bad. Peace!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-13-2007, 12:46 PM
It wasn't calling out anyone in particular bro, just making a general statement :bigthumb:

House of Steel
05-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Why I left before it got out of hand. No need for this. I need to a glue???? HUH???? you mean clue, right? 32, I am not here to argue, I am just stating an opinion. You can disagree with me, I have my opinion :greengrin: