PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu not worried about new deal

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 06:49 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_507306.html

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, May 12, 2007

The stir created by Alan Faneca's incisive and blunt comments Friday obscured the fact that several other key players are in the final year of their contract, most notably safety Troy Polamalu.
On a day when Faneca announced he will not end his career as a Steeler -- the team, he said, made him a "non-offer" in regard to a contract extension -- Polamalu said he would like to do just that.

"God willing, I'll be able to retire here as a Steeler," Polamalu said yesterday after a morning minicamp practice. "That's what I hope."

The Steelers will have to do something with Polamalu that they are apparently unwilling to do with Faneca: pony up some serious cash.

The five-year contract Polamalu signed before his rookie season in 2003 is worth just under $9 million.

His next contract will be a quantum leap from that, and the Steelers just may be willing to make Polamalu one of the highest-paid safeties in the league because he is a perennial Pro Bowler and is only 26 years old.

The Ravens made Ed Reed the highest-paid safety in league history last June when they signed him to a six-year deal that is worth as much as $40 million and included a $15 million signing bonus.

"I honestly haven't paid too much attention to it," Polamalu said of the progress he and the Steelers have made on a contract extension. "It's nothing that really worries me too much. I don't think about it every day."

Polamalu missed minicamp three weeks ago, but it had nothing to do with his contract. He was on a faith-based trip that he had planned well in advance of the scheduling of the voluntary minicamp.

"I want it to happen," Polamalu said of an extension, "but right now, it really doesn't matter."

Troy is a team player and he's relies on his faith to carry him through so he'll let it go at that and see what happens.

If we're not going to resign Faneca then we better take those dollars and get Troy inked before this offseason is done.

DIESELMAN
05-12-2007, 07:28 AM
The Rooneys know what they got with Polamalu, it would take a whole lot to fill his shoes. Lets hope by the time the camps wind down, they are in a good place as far as negotiations go.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Thats cool that Troy won't cause problems or complain about his contract. But still as the article points out the Rooney's will have to give Troy a contract as much as Ed Reed's or something around that. I don't see the Rooney's giving him that much money.

floodcitygirl
05-12-2007, 12:13 PM
I do not want to lose Troy. Watching him play is Steeler football. He is one that I just don't want to think about someplace else.

BlitzburghNation
05-12-2007, 01:05 PM
"God willing, I'll be able to retire here as a Steeler," Polamalu said yesterday after a morning minicamp practice. "That's what I hope."

Love this comment by the best safety in the game :tt02:

What he does in our "D" would be really hard to replace, But i'm hoping
and :crossfingers: that we won't have to :tt02:

kgreen
05-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Thats cool that Troy won't cause problems or complain about his contract. But still as the article points out the Rooney's will have to give Troy a contract as much as Ed Reed's or something around that. I don't see the Rooney's giving him that much money.

That is why I say get rid of Faneca now so he doesn't become a TO like Locker Room problem.

Koopa
05-12-2007, 01:52 PM
troy ain't a fat *** cry baby, that's why i like him, i like the approach he's taking, every fat **** should follow troy's ways of doing things

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 02:26 PM
troy ain't a fat *** cry baby, that's why i like him, i like the approach he's taking, every fat **** should follow troy's ways of doing things

You like him till he says something to **** you off then you'll say he's a bitch :lol: :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 02:28 PM
You like him till he says something to **** you off then you'll say he's a bitch :lol: :lol:

:lol:Good point Top.

Koopa
05-12-2007, 02:30 PM

naw, cause i never liked faneca, i always thought he was overrated, he isn't the greatest of pass blocker, he only shines when we run it 99% of the time........plus troy don't roll like this fat ****, he won't say something to **** me off, he's to humble for that

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Im sure he's glad to know that he doesn't have to worry about pissing you off.

I don't forsee any problems with Troy's attitude or his contract at this point either. He's young and only coming off his first deal. He's a leader and a top 3 safety in the league if not the best overall safety period. He'll be a Steeler for years to come :tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Im sure he's glad to know that he doesn't have to worry about pissing you off.

I don't forsee any problems with Troy's attitude or his contract at this point either. He's young and only coming off his first deal. He's a leader and a top 3 safety in the league if not the best overall safety period. He'll be a Steeler for years to come :tt02:

I agree Troy has a great attitude and is a humble person. But the Rooney's are going to have give him Ed Reed type money or close to that to resign him. Yea Troy is humble but he is also smart.:lol: But he is doing the right thing and keeping his situation with his contract inhouse unlike Faneca and thats why I'm not bashing Troy.:bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Im hoping Troy won't really ask for Ed Reed type money because if he does we'll be in trouble. :lol:

If Ed Reed can get it then Troy should be able to as well but he's smart enough to know the Rooney's will offer fair market value and they'll go from there... knock on wood :lol:

Koopa
05-12-2007, 02:41 PM
but troy deserves that money, he's young and still getting better, whereas faneca is just a fat **** that is old and not getting better

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Im hoping Troy won't really ask for Ed Reed type money because if he does we'll be in trouble. :lol:

If Ed Reed can get it then Troy should be able to as well but he's smart enough to know the Rooney's will offer fair market value and they'll go from there... knock on wood :lol:

Knock on wood, Keep your fingers:crossfingers:, Pray to the Virgin Mary, or do whatever it takes to keep Troy in a Steelers uniform.:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Knock on wood, Keep your fingers:crossfingers:, Pray to the Virgin Mary, or do whatever it takes to keep Troy in a Steelers uniform.:lol:

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: We need a knock on wood smilie !:lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-12-2007, 02:48 PM
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: We need a knock on wood smilie !:lol:

:yesnod:I agree.

strong D
05-12-2007, 02:53 PM
the rooneys will pony up the cash to keep troy in black and gold

okiesteeler
05-12-2007, 05:30 PM
The Rooney's have to realize that Troy is better than all of the other safeties and pay him as such, our defensive backfield needs help as it is, and if you take Troy out then we dont have a defensive backfield.

Stlrs4Life
05-12-2007, 10:07 PM
I don't care who they are. I don't believe any of them till they sign on the dotted line. Been there done that. Thought the same about Faneca in the past.

BlacknGold Bleeder
05-13-2007, 01:23 AM
I hope ( where is that knocking on wood smilie?) the Steelers are willing to make the same commitment to Troy that they made to Faneca with his last contract. At the time they made him the highest paid guard in game, the STEELERS have shown they are willing to pay players when they deem it necessary, and in this case it's dam necessary !!

okiesteeler
05-13-2007, 01:30 AM
yes it is necessary. Troy is the best Defensive Player in the NFL right now IMNSHO. He should be the highest paid defensive player.

PsychoWard
05-13-2007, 10:21 AM
troy is a class act always has been always will be not to mention he is probably the best safty in football!! i am confident that the rooneys know what they have in troy and they will make him an offer that he can't refuse!